Go Woke lose close to 200 million dollars...Spielberg's Woke "West Side Story," bombs, bigly, at the box office...

That is the biggest bunch of bullshit that I have ever read. It also is racist. I have no problem with a black lead or a interracial couple. I guess you hated The Jeffersons. There is nothing wrong with that show.
You are confused Moon Bat

It is racist to have all these goddamn Negroes in every show and every commercial.

What would be not be racist is to show them to be like they are in real life. Criminals, druggies, not taking care of their families and on welfare.

That is the biggest bunch of bullshit that I have ever read. It also is racist. I have no problem with a black lead or a interracial couple. I guess you hated The Jeffersons. There is nothing wrong with that show.
When the narrative becomes so pervasive that it is impossible to escape during prime time, there is something wrong. Alternative viewpoints and tastes need to be addressed. These relationships and lifestyles that are being promoted as the mainstream or norm in primetime offerings are just not indicative of what happens in the US or the world that 85% of the population experiences. When entertainment returns to entertaining and not politicking and social engineering, maybe viewers will return--I doubt it though, once they're gone, they're gone for good.

A movie like West Side Story was struggling even before the pandemic. I do think that having movies released day and date on streaming and in the movies does have a affect. Godzilla vs Kong made $100 million in the US but it would have done better had it not been streamed on HBO Max at the same time. That is their biggest streaming movie so far. A movie like that has to be seen in the movies. It loses a lot on the small screen.
I sorta enjoyed streaming Godzilla vs Kong at home......Not having to rub elbows with "the great unwashed" was worth the small sensory deprivation. That and I grew up watching B&W antenna TV so my 60-odd inch flat screen is a marvel in comparison so it's all good. :)

You are confused Moon Bat

It is racist to have all these goddamn Negroes in every show and every commercial.

What would be not be racist is to show them to be like they are in real life. Criminals, druggies, not taking care of their families and on welfare.
Yes, but that ALSO ruins a show. We watched all of "Elementary," the modern take on Sherlock Holmes, up to when they had a character that was EXACTLY like you say, criminal, druggie, irresponsible --- in fact, it was surprisingly like the original figure in Conan Doyle, but of course now he was a black. It killed the show. We stopped watching, and they ended the show soon, in some disorder.

Depends entirely on whether it's in the service of art or trying to Wake Up America. I'm okay with a black lead (such as Denzel Washington in Demon) if what he is is a PERSON, not a Symbol of something vile they are trying to propagandize me into approving. But no interracial couples, at least not black/white. That is just so crazy, so evil to talk white girls into, to ruin their lives.

It's easy to tell the difference. If you quickly identify with the character, even if it's a different race and/or sex --- that character is playing a Person. If you keep thinking, this is teaching us something, that's Woke and a flop in the making.

The article says the movie is failing because "Woke is a lie, and when art lies, it fails. In order to succeed, art must, in some way, speak to a larger truth... "

Good, but I think there's another issue, the one I give so many Woke books bad reviews for: they are preaching.
Tendentious is the long word for that, but nobody likes preaching. The line quoted above about black cop killers is a preachy line.

I don't watch Woke movies!! And I throw out Woke books and give them bad reviews. I suggest everyone do this! A lot of people already are: and I do think it's making a difference. The reviews most marked as "helpful" on Amazon tell the truth about this kind of thing. People then don't buy the book -- and they are saying why.
i gave up disney due to "woke". their company, do what you want. but my life, i'll do the same.

that said, my nephew is a huge comic book fan and wanted company for the new spiderman. we went.

it was one of the best comic book movies ever done. not much woke in it this time like the last one had the flashes.

It's a really good movie.

But musicals haven't been popular for 50 years.
it was a great story that didn't need "waking" to redo.

the question is - would it have failed as badly without the "woke" overtones? probably. that style just isn't that popular these days, as you say.

It's a really good movie.

But musicals haven't been popular for 50 years.
It was a decent movie, the dance scenes were better than the original, vocals were about a wash. It had the advantage of not being shot like a stage play with constrained shots. If you look at a lot of the classic musicals from that era, you could easily transpose the shots onto a stage. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Guys and Dolls were especially that way.

It was a decent movie, the dance scenes were better than the original, vocals were about a wash. It had the advantage of not being shot like a stage play with constrained shots. If you look at a lot of the classic musicals from that era, you could easily transpose the shots onto a stage. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Guys and Dolls were especially that way.

Wasn't it in Spanish?

Forum List

Back