Good books for guys?

Autobiographies...mostly sports figures. The topics are ones which most males have a grasp of...sportsball. Our culture has been turned into a bread and circus wonderland so most males have an in depth knowledge of sportsball.
Additionally, they are written at a level that the average eighth grader can comprehend and enjoy. Partly due to the audience but mostly due to subject matter; sportsball, coke, going into debt/prison and strippers.
Give me a few titles you enjoyed, please.
Off the top of my grape I can think of some. As far as fiction goes I prefer dystopian stuff.
I have not read many sports related books. I find jocks to be fairly boring. However, I love me some jocks on coke! Nothing like a jock hopped up on some powder to screw his life up. Good reading.
Sportsball:
Fourth Down in Dunbar-D. Dorsey (inspiring...kinda sappy in spots but interesting)
North Dallas Forty-P. Gent
Out of Control--Thomas 'Hollywood' Henderson Auto
Against the Grain--Mercury Morris auto

book_200.jpg

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.

Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

Man's Search for meaning by Victor Frankl

The poem If by Rudyard Kipling

Lord of the Rings of course

A lesser known series The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson

I can't see how comic books teach good language skills, but on the other hand they are great tools for teaching a foreign language -- because the speech bubbles will be written colloquially and the action in the images immediately render the meaning obvious. The reader just has to bear in mind the difference between book language and colloquial.

But are we talking teaching basic reading? Like to kids?

Id stay away from sports also.
Why stay away from sports, Pogo?

These are not for formal reading instruction. I am looking for reading that is high interest and fun for guys. I haven't opened a comic book (or "graphic novel") since Betty & Veronica and Peanuts, and for most of my students I wouldn't allow it; they could do more.

Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

Man's Search for meaning by Victor Frankl

The poem If by Rudyard Kipling

Lord of the Rings of course

A lesser known series The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson
While good choices i would definitely not recommend the thomas covenant chronicles.

I can't see how comic books teach good language skills, but on the other hand they are great tools for teaching a foreign language -- because the speech bubbles will be written colloquially and the action in the images immediately render the meaning obvious. The reader just has to bear in mind the difference between book language and colloquial.

But are we talking teaching basic reading? Like to kids?

Id stay away from sports also.

Depending on the age of the student, and barring any condition like dyslexia, the first step to getting any kid to read, and thus improve their reading, is to give them something they might find interesting to read...

Ahhh, what ever happened to the days of Tom Swift, the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew?

iu

From Amazon:

The Pulitzer prize-winning Holocaust survivor story 'The most affecting and successful narrative ever done about the Holocaust' Wall Street Journal 'The first masterpiece in comic book history' The New Yorker The Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and his son, a cartoonist coming to terms with his father's story. Maus approaches the unspeakable through the diminutive. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), shocks us out of any lingering sense of familiarity and succeeds in 'drawing us closer to the bleak heart of the Holocaust' (The New York Times). Maus is a haunting tale within a tale. Vladek's harrowing story of survival is woven into the author's account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Against the backdrop of guilt brought by survival, they stage a normal life of small arguments and unhappy visits. This astonishing retelling of our century's grisliest news is a story of survival, not only of Vladek but of the children who survive even the survivors. Maus studies the bloody pawprints of history and tracks its meaning for all of us.

Definitely not Spiderman...

Rather than cite this or that novel or whatever that one has enjoyed in one's own past, doesn't it make more sense to determine what the reader is interested in (like aviation or mountain climbing or whatever), and then steer them to literature in that area, thereby handing them incentive?
Pogo! That is what I'm trying to do! I just would like to know some titles to get them started when they give me that glazed over stare.

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I teach adult ed, so they have to be 17. Most are drop outs, 18 or older.

For easter i gave my 6 year old a book with jokes. He is very encouraged to read now. The jokes mostly suck. But he reads.
I remember one year the favorite book I had was a book of jokes. My parents must have gone mental with all the elephant jokes.

Forum List

Back