Google Wants To Help More Homes Switch To Solar Energy

There is no safe storage for nuke waste. Yuca mountain, in Nevada has faults that make it liable to fail in an earth quake.

A storage area in Arkansas recently had a fire.

I know solar works because I live in an off-grid community that is 10 miles from the nearest power line. When the utility finally decided to run power to us nobody wanted it and the offer was rejected.

Solar is affordable while nuclear is the most expensive way to generate electricity.

Small scale projects such as yours do not equate to large grids.

And designs can be made to reduce the risk from earthquake.

I live in Florida and if Solar energy was viable everyone in Florida would be using it.

As would everyone in the Southwest.

It may become viable at some point, but it isn't right now.

It's actually becoming increasingly popular here in southern Nevada, but NV Energy is now standing in the way of allowing it to expand and they've got the politicians paid off.

Is there a way that this excess power is stored?

Yes, there is an energy storage technology that has the capability of storing this excess power. The power to gas technology basically converts the excess electricity into gaseous energy by producing a zero carbon hydrogen gas. This gas can then be converted into renewable methane and used as an energy source in future. German auto giant Audi was the first to use this technology by setting up the world’s first 6 MW- ‘power to gas’ plant in its home country.

http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Ene...Struggles-With-Too-Much-Renewable-Energy.html

That isn't a battery.

It answers your question.

it's another smaller scale solution, as you still need to store the hydrogen gas, the size of which for a small city is pretty damn big. To store it properly would require cryogenic storage, which sucks up even more energy.

Germany seems to be doing fine.

Is there a way that this excess power is stored?

Yes, there is an energy storage technology that has the capability of storing this excess power. The power to gas technology basically converts the excess electricity into gaseous energy by producing a zero carbon hydrogen gas. This gas can then be converted into renewable methane and used as an energy source in future. German auto giant Audi was the first to use this technology by setting up the world’s first 6 MW- ‘power to gas’ plant in its home country.

http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Ene...Struggles-With-Too-Much-Renewable-Energy.html

That isn't a battery.

It answers your question.

it's another smaller scale solution, as you still need to store the hydrogen gas, the size of which for a small city is pretty damn big. To store it properly would require cryogenic storage, which sucks up even more energy.

Germany seems to be doing fine.

For one hour.

I live in Florida and if Solar energy was viable everyone in Florida would be using it.

It's actually becoming increasingly popular here in southern Nevada, but NV Energy is now standing in the way of allowing it to expand and they've got the politicians paid off.

Oh some homes down here do have solar but not many. To bad its not as viable as we'd like it to be.

There is no safe storage for nuke waste. Yuca mountain, in Nevada has faults that make it liable to fail in an earth quake.

A storage area in Arkansas recently had a fire.

I know solar works because I live in an off-grid community that is 10 miles from the nearest power line. When the utility finally decided to run power to us nobody wanted it and the offer was rejected.

Solar is affordable while nuclear is the most expensive way to generate electricity.
Wrong. Solar doesn't work for most people. Your batteries aren't cheap to make or dispose of either.

Oh some homes down here do have solar but not many. To bad its not as viable as we'd like it to be.

It is improving quickly.

It is improving quickly.

Hope so.

Yes you will be able to. Germany seems to be figuring it out.

For one hour, and that counts hydro and biomass, both of which are the red headed stepchildren of the renewable movement.

It also happened in the middle of the day, so again, storage issues.

Storage will catch up.

What type of storage?

Probably better batteries. Smaller will hold more and last longer. Batteries are always improving. Solar will push them to new level.

The physics involved in electricity from batteries preclude the type of storage needed at a macro scale. It's a question of energy density, and thus size.

I suggest you actually understand something before you start swearing by it.
Bullshit, Martybegan.

Another Mega Battery Factory in U.S., This One For the Grid | Xconomy

A stealth Swiss startup called Alevo plans to make the equivalent of Tesla Motors’ “gigafactory” in North Carolina. The main difference: its batteries will be as big as shipping containers and connect to power plants, rather than electric cars.

These new batteries, designed to store energy for use in the power grid, would be built in a new facility constructed from a former Concord, NC cigarette factory. Alevo plans to host an event at the site on Tuesday christening the new factory, which the company says will employ 2,500. The company, which has about 150 employees now, paid $68.5 million for the site and expects to start manufacturing its giant batteries next year, CEO and founder Jostein Eikeland says.

Although still an unknown in the world of grid batteries, Alevo’s willingness to commit to manufacturing at commercial scale reflects a major change in the energy business. As prices for batteries has come down, energy is becoming a cost-effective choice for utilities and energy project developers—at least for certain applications. Also, Alevo’s battery melds high-end computing and big data with batteries, a reflection ofhow important computing is to grid storage.

43 Battery Storage Companies To Watch

43 Battery Storage Companies To Watch

January 15th, 2015 by Zachary Shahan

As I wrote in my piece on cleantech trends from 2014 and expected cleantech trends in 2015, the battery storage market is really blossoming. There are now quite a number of battery startups and battery departments within big corporations that seem to have promising products arriving on the market or soon to arrive on the market. There are also some that have been on the market for years but are now getting a lot more competitive.

I’m going to run down my list of companies to watch right here, but this page will also be updated as new battery companies pop onto the radar or fall off of it. I’m probably missing a few too, so feel free to drop them in the comments below the article for me to add them

A lot of investor interest. Grid scale batteries will be a fact. And they are not just for storage, they would isolate a company from bumps on the grid, and the resultant effects on the PLCs.

How many millions of lead acid batteries do we make and recycle every year? Why should the batteries for grid scale be any differant? And Oncor, the biggest utility in Texas estimates that the widespread installation of grid scale batteries would actually save the consumer money.

In Germany, there was some of this. And many municipalities actually kicked the private utilities out and installed PUD's. Which promptly, in most cases, installed solar and wind, as both are easily scaled.

How many millions of lead acid batteries do we make and recycle every year? Why should the batteries for grid scale be any differant? And Oncor, the biggest utility in Texas estimates that the widespread installation of grid scale batteries would actually save the consumer money.
You're dreaming. Lots more batteries to deal with is a good thing? And they'll sell the utility for less? How old are you?

There is no safe storage for nuclear waste.

Solar works, is affordable and clean.

Doesn't seem like a difficult decision.

Actually encasing it in concrete in a secure facility is more than safe.

That's why so many states want to store nuclear waste. You must be joking.

NIMBY and BANANA, nothing more.

People also don't want things like wastewater plants, or garbage transfer stations near them, but they still want their sewage treated and their garbage picked up.

Do those things remain dangerous for millions of years?
You're assuming technology won't advance in the future? Also you should know the cheaper production light water methods have more waste than the better reusable type.
Nuclear has been around for years. How long before it's safe?

People also don't want things like wastewater plants, or garbage transfer stations near them, but they still want their sewage treated and their garbage picked up.

You're assuming technology won't advance in the future? Also you should know the cheaper production light water methods have more waste than the better reusable type.

it is safe. Lets look at the three accidents.

TMI: Failure that was handled improperly for around 12 hours, core melted, but minimal release an impact.

Chernobyl: Ran a test the wrong way by the wrong people on a piss poor soviet design that was known to be unstable due to high void coefficents.

Fukishima: 40 ft wall of water took out a poorly placed secondary system, massive contamination onsite, minimal contamination outside of site.

Ask the French, when you sober up.

Forum List

Back