GOP - Democrats won't take responsibility. So what is it the GOP is responsible for?

R

rdean

USMB Republicans say the Democrats never take responsibility.

So what do Republicans take responsibility for?

Remember, Republicans were very, very angry when Democrats used reconciliation to pass Obamacare. They felt powerless to stop it.

Republicans used reconciliation THREE TIMES under Bush. THREE TIMES! What did they use it for? What was the outcome? Obviously, Democrats could do nothing. So how did it work out?

Come on USMB Republicans. You keep saying Democrats are responsible. So what are Republicans responsible for? It has to be something. Spell it out for us.

what is it the GOP is responsible for? spending 4 years trying and failing to make Obama a 1 term President and in doing so keeping the economy from growing because they believed 2012 was theirs

their sense of entitlement is astounding

what is it the GOP is responsible for? spending 4 years trying and failing to make Obama a 1 term President and in doing so keeping the economy from growing because they believed 2012 was theirs

Well there is that.

How about telling us what the republicans used reconciliation for, then we might have subject for the discussion.

Well there is that.

Well to be fair,the Dems must have been brain dead dip shits for letting them do it,after all they had all three branches for awhile,and still have 2 doesn't say much for their abilities.

bushii tax cuts, but that's really a different story.

Look, the gop wanted to retarget where these pretty limited "cuts" or lessened increases were going to lessen the pain. It was absurd of Obama to play the Scarlet Faiting Card with this. At least in terms of policy. Come on, the govt can't find 50 billion? Please.

But the larger fight is coming over the debt ceiling and getting a long term fix into taxes and spending. There will be problems from this. What if GE sales folks are inconvenienced in airports? What if harbors have toyotas and US lumber backed up? If that happens it's not gonna be so easy for the gop to say "no more revenue even if raising it won't hurt the economy."

How about telling us what the republicans used reconciliation for, then we might have subject for the discussion.

Several rounds of pretty severe tax cuts in the middle of 2 wars and with a ballooning deficit. Largely responsible for the unbelievable partisanship that exists today between the right and left - but not entirely responsible.

Last edited:

Well there is that.

Well to be fair,the Dems must have been brain dead dip shits for letting them do it,after all they had all three branches for awhile,and still have 2 doesn't say much for their abilities.

Republicans now blaming Democrats for Bush tax cuts

To understand what's going on here, you need to go back 10 years to the passage of the Bush tax cuts. In order to maximize the size of the cuts, Republicans had to minimize the influence of minority Democrats on the package. So they chose to run the bill through the reconciliation process.

But that posed some challenges. Budget reconciliation had never been used to increase the deficit. In fact, it specifically existed to decrease the deficit. That's why one of its rules was that you couldn't use it to increase the deficit outside the budget window. Republicans realized they could take that very literally: The budget window was 10 years. So if the tax cuts expired after 10 years, they wouldn't increase the deficit outside the budget window. They'd also have the added benefit of appearing less costly in the Congressional Budget Office's estimates, as the CBO duly scored them as expiring after 10 years, which kept the long-range budget picture from exploding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconciliation -- The Federal Budget Reconciliation Process Defined

Definition: The federal budget reconciliation process is a legislative device employed by the U.S. Senate to end a filibuster, close debate and pass controversial budget bills, thereby circumventing the three-fifths rule. Because reconciliation only requires a simple majority, it is a tool primarily used by the majority party. Although the House has a similar procedure, its is rarely used since rules are regularly introduced to prevent protracted debate.

The federal budget reconciliation process arose from language inserted in the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974, which, in part, allows Senators to pass concurrent budget bills without debate or a presidential signature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The process had never been used before in this way. It's like "voter suppression" or any number of Republican "schemes". They do one thing to accomplish something else. This was to move the wealth of the nation to the top 1% and Democrats were powerless to stop it. The "Definition of Reconciliation" explains why.

Another example is what they did to the post office during their lame duck session. Many in blue states depend on the post office to vote. That's the real reason Republicans are trying to get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't know?

Unlike some, I don't pretend to know what some one is talking about when they are ambiguous, I ask questions.

And yet you judge. How is that possible? You sit in front of the Internet. Don't you sometimes look stuff up just to learn? I'm shocked. I would think you would be challenged to find things out. Just to know. For the fun of knowledge.

I just don't understand sometimes. Some people are a mystery.

Well there is that.

To understand what's going on here, you need to go back 10 years to the passage of the Bush tax cuts. In order to maximize the size of the cuts, Republicans had to minimize the influence of minority Democrats on the package. So they chose to run the bill through the reconciliation process.

But that posed some challenges. Budget reconciliation had never been used to increase the deficit. In fact, it specifically existed to decrease the deficit. That's why one of its rules was that you couldn't use it to increase the deficit outside the budget window. Republicans realized they could take that very literally: The budget window was 10 years. So if the tax cuts expired after 10 years, they wouldn't increase the deficit outside the budget window. They'd also have the added benefit of appearing less costly in the Congressional Budget Office's estimates, as the CBO duly scored them as expiring after 10 years, which kept the long-range budget picture from exploding.

Definition: The federal budget reconciliation process is a legislative device employed by the U.S. Senate to end a filibuster, close debate and pass controversial budget bills, thereby circumventing the three-fifths rule. Because reconciliation only requires a simple majority, it is a tool primarily used by the majority party. Although the House has a similar procedure, its is rarely used since rules are regularly introduced to prevent protracted debate.

The federal budget reconciliation process arose from language inserted in the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974, which, in part, allows Senators to pass concurrent budget bills without debate or a presidential signature.

The process had never been used before in this way. It's like "voter suppression" or any number of Republican "schemes". They do one thing to accomplish something else. This was to move the wealth of the nation to the top 1% and Democrats were powerless to stop it. The "Definition of Reconciliation" explains why.

Another example is what they did to the post office during their lame duck session. Many in blue states depend on the post office to vote. That's the real reason Republicans are trying to get rid of it.

OK, that's one example, didn't you mention 3?

You don't know?

Unlike some, I don't pretend to know what some one is talking about when they are ambiguous, I ask questions.

And yet you judge. How is that possible? You sit in front of the Internet. Don't you sometimes look stuff up just to learn? I'm shocked. I would think you would be challenged to find things out. Just to know. For the fun of knowledge.

There was no judgement in my question? You brought up a subject, I simply ask you to expand on it to narrow down what you were talking about.

OK, that's one example, didn't you mention 3?

Reconciliation wasn't used for the post office.

There was no judgement in my question? You brought up a subject, I simply ask you to expand on it to narrow down what you were talking about.

I was talking about Republicans using reconciliation three times. Seems you didn't even know they used it once. How is that possible?

I was talking about Republicans using reconciliation three times. Seems you didn't even know they used it once. How is that possible?

For all I know they could have used it 50 times, is specificity beyond you?

Forum List

Back