GOP Establishment Cheating of Trump, Step One; Ditch Rule 40B

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
RNC To Consider Allowing 8 GOP Candidates On First Ballot

“Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight (8) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination. ..."

Haugland reasons that since Rule 40 mandates the “support of the ‘permanently seated’ delegates, this vote cannot be taken until the report of the Convention Credentials Committee is adopted, thereby permanently seating the ‘temporary’ delegates. Therefore, there will be no ‘presumptive nominee’ prior to the 2016 convention.”

“I’m going to be proposing that at the convention, which is the first opportunity between now and the convention to change any rules,” he continued. “And the way it’s going right now, no one will meet the terms of rule 40, because that means you’d have to demonstrate the majority of 8 states and nobody is going to meet that threshold.”

Huagland is lying. Trump has won a majority of delegates, so far, in South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Massachussets, Hawaii and Mississippi. No one else so far has aon a straight majority of a states delegates. This move is to rob him of being the sole qualified Presidential nominee on the first ballot.

This is how elites work when things dont go their way; just change the rules and tell the peasants if they dont like it, shove it.

Last edited:
SybilWarGOPStyle_zpsa9hlqaql.jpg

Are they referring to the majority as any number of 51% and above?
Yes, the rule only states a majority of the delegates of EACH of 8 states. So if a candidate wins 17 delegates in a state that has 30 delegates, that state would count toward satisfying Rule 40B.

“Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight (8) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination. ..."

Haugland reasons that since Rule 40 mandates the “support of the ‘permanently seated’ delegates, this vote cannot be taken until the report of the Convention Credentials Committee is adopted, thereby permanently seating the ‘temporary’ delegates. Therefore, there will be no ‘presumptive nominee’ prior to the 2016 convention.”

“I’m going to be proposing that at the convention, which is the first opportunity between now and the convention to change any rules,” he continued. “And the way it’s going right now, no one will meet the terms of rule 40, because that means you’d have to demonstrate the majority of 8 states and nobody is going to meet that threshold.”

Huagland is lying. Trump has won a majority of delegates, so far, in South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Massachussets, Hawaii and Mississippi. No one else so far has aon a straight majority of a states delegates. This move is to rob him of being the sole qualified Presidential nominee on the first ballot.

This is how elites work when things dont go their way; just change the rules and tell the peasants if they dont like it, shove it.
It's too late for this kinda shit.

It's too late for this kinda shit.
Most school kids know that you cant change the rules of the game DURING THE GAME.

This is just blatant thievery, and a set up to give the nomination to Rubio anyway, or maybe Jeb!

I would hesitate to change any of the convention rules in this election if I were the Establishment. Republicans are angry already and if the Establishment makes any attempt to rig this nomination process, they do at a price.

I would hesitate to change any of the convention rules in this election if I were the Establishment. Republicans are angry already and if the Establishment makes any attempt to rig this nomination process, they do at a price.
Well they are going to try and with the Establishments control of the RNC they will likely get it through.

So if there is no clear winner on t he first round and it goes into a brokered convention, Rubio and Jeb! will have just as much chance of being nominated as the the two candidates who together have won a clear majority of the vote in the GOP. Without this change, no one else can be considered in subsequent ballots other than Trump or Cruz since they are likely the only ones to win the majority of 8 states delegations.

This should piss of every Republican in the room.

Interesting, and not surprising nor unique. In 1976, both Reagan and Ford's names were put into nomination.

1976 Republican National Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But both of them had at least 8 states that they had won the majority of that states delegations.

So while it is a similar situation, roughly, it is not representative of what this is going to do to open up the nomination to people that should not qualify for the nomination by the current rules.

Well they are going to try and with the Establishments control of the RNC they will likely get it through.

So if there is no clear winner on t he first round and it goes into a brokered convention, Rubio and Jeb! will have just as much chance of being nominated as the the two candidates who together have won a clear majority of the vote int he GOP. Without this change, no one else can be considered in subsequent ballots other than Trump or Cruz since they are likely the only ones to win the majority of 8 states delegations.

This should piss of every Republican in the room.
You're right. I think a good percentage of Republicans would stay home!

You're right. I think a good percentage of Republicans would stay home!

The GOP Establishment has outlived its usefulness when they would rather throw an election and possibly split the party than to allow some one who the DONORS DONT LIKE get the nomination.

It doesn't seem to me they're talking about "changing" the rule so much as enforcing it. As I read this, unless someone had won an outright majority in 8 states, then there's not a first ballot nomination. ALL the names are in play, and they just call the roll for each state until someone has a majority of delegates.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/prod-static-ngop-pbl/docs/Rules_of_the_Republican+Party_FINAL_S14090314.pdf

And more clearly

RNC convention first ballot rules for candidates who fail to pass rule 40b?

But, if the Donald goes into the convention with 1272 pledged delegates, and is NOT the nominee, then I think the gop's in trouble.

It doesn't seem to me they're talking about "changing" the rule so much as enforcing it. As I read this, unless someone had won an outright majority in 8 states, then there's not a first ballot nomination. ALL the names are in play, and they just call the roll for each state until someone has a majority of delegates.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/prod-static-ngop-pbl/docs/Rules_of_the_Republican+Party_FINAL_S14090314.pdf

And more clearly

But, if the Donald goes into the convention with 1272 pledged delegates, and is NOT the nominee, then I think the gop's in trouble.
If he has the needed amount of delegates, he is the nominee. If he doesn't, it is up in the air. The OP seems to think the rules should be changed to favor Trump, which shows how weak of a candidate Trump actually is. I wonder if the rest of the world will change the rules to accommodate President Trump. :lol:

And more clearly

If he has the needed amount of delegates, he is the nominee. If he doesn't, it is up in the air. The OP seems to think the rules should be changed to favor Trump, which shows how weak of a candidate Trump actually is. I wonder if the rest of the world will change the rules to accommodate President Trump. :lol:
Yes the OP wants the rules change. I agree with that.
But the effect of following the rules would allow Trump delegates to defect, because under Rule 40 it appears there's no first ballot winning unless he/she won a outright majority in 8 states. If Trump has 1272, the party should make him the nominee. If it doesn't, it won't be pretty.

Of course there is a price. They see that price as less than the price of nominating Trump. If Trump is nominated. they most likely lose the election. If, on the small chance Trump were to win the election, he would screw things up so bad till they would never win another election.

And more clearly

But the effect of following the rules would allow Trump delegates to defect, because under Rule 40 it appears there's no first ballot winning unless he/she won a outright majority in 8 states. If Trump has 1272, the party should make him the nominee. If it doesn't, it won't be pretty.
From what I've read, if there is no one with an outright majority in 8 states the delegates are allowed to change the rule.

It's going to be ugly regardless.

And more clearly

From what I've read, if there is no one with an outright majority in 8 states the delegates are allowed to change the rule.

It's going to be ugly regardless.
The majority will begin in play with the "winner takes all" states, coming the 15th of this month. I just don't think the party should play with the rules. The reaction could be explosive for the party.

And I agree, the convention could be ugly. It's up to the party to ensure the peoples' votes have been honored.
Next Tuesday should give us an idea of how this is going to turn out.

Forum List

Back