GOP Governor Suggests Drug Abuse Driving Unemployment

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) on Monday addressed some worrisome employment figures in the state's March jobs report, saying that job applicants who couldn't pass drug tests are "a serious problem" for Pennsylvania.

"There are many employers that say, 'we’re looking for people, but we can’t find anybody that has passed a drug test,' a lot of them," Corbett said during an interview on Radio PA's "Ask the Governor" program. "And that’s a concern for me because we’re having a serious problem with that."

Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania Governor: Drug Users Boosting Unemployment Rate (UPDATE)

Yeah blame everybody else except yourself for the ballooning unemployment rate in your State since he has taken over as Governor. Face it, you suck as Governor and your record is speaking for itself.

When people run out of their government donuts and beer, they tend to get a depressed that they should wipe their own butt and be responsible for their own actions. Many can't bare the thought of such, and turn to drugs.

Don't these employers know that drug addicts make the best employees? Just ask them.

Democratic gubernatorial candidate and Rep. Allyson Schwartz (D-Pa.) responded to Corbett's comment in a statement.

"Governor Corbett's response to his own failed leadership on the economy shifts between making excuses and blaming and insulting the people of Pennsylvania," she said. "Either way, Pennsylvanians know it's obviously time for a new governor."

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) on Monday addressed some worrisome employment figures in the state's March jobs report, saying that job applicants who couldn't pass drug tests are "a serious problem" for Pennsylvania.

"There are many employers that say, 'we’re looking for people, but we can’t find anybody that has passed a drug test,' a lot of them," Corbett said during an interview on Radio PA's "Ask the Governor" program. "And that’s a concern for me because we’re having a serious problem with that."

Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania Governor: Drug Users Boosting Unemployment Rate (UPDATE)

The problem exists everywhere. The average person thinks it's ok to smoke a little pot on the weekend or in the evening after a long day at work.
My take is, if you cannot stay away from illegal substances, you don't deserve to be hired ahead of someone who does not 'indulge'.

It's truly sad to see some of the most dumb ass posts in this thread, really I think some of your really need to think before posting you're sounding so damn stupid it's not even funny anymore.

The problem exists everywhere. The average person thinks it's ok to smoke a little pot on the weekend or in the evening after a long day at work.
My take is, if you cannot stay away from illegal substances, you don't deserve to be hired ahead of someone who does not 'indulge'.

You sound really ridiculous just ask that other Retard Governor in Florida who spent millions drug testing peeps in his State only to find out that it's been a big waste of money. but here's the kicker, 5 - 1 odds he got a serious kick back from doing this.

It's truly sad to see some of the most dumb ass posts in this thread, really I think some of your really need to think before posting you're sounding so damn stupid it's not even funny anymore.

You're calling people dumbasses, and can't even punctuate your own sentences correctly. You should work on that.

Yeah blame everybody else except yourself for the ballooning unemployment rate in your State since he has taken over as Governor. Face it, you suck as Governor and your record is speaking for itself.

Haha. No.

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

You can't tell me NOTHING, once you get that through you thick head you'll be better off. Now dumbass before he was Governor the unemployment rate was lower, it's higher under his leadership by far and his State has lost 10,000's of jobs going to other States and more than likely offshore.

So rather than defend his poor job performance he would rather blame the people of his State for his fooking failure? Like him, both of your have your head up your asses.

When people run out of their government donuts and beer, they tend to get a depressed that they should wipe their own butt and be responsible for their own actions. Many can't bare the thought of such, and turn to drugs.

If someone really wanted a job, there are ways to pass those drug tests. It's not cheap, but there's stuff you can drink before a urine test. And there's stuff you can wash your hair with if they take hair samples. It works, I know people that have used it. So if someone really wanted a job, they can get it.

If someone really wanted a job, there are ways to pass those drug tests. It's not cheap, but there's stuff you can drink before a urine test. And there's stuff you can wash your hair with if they take hair samples. It works, I know people that have used it. So if someone really wanted a job, they can get it.

But here's the point that most are missing, it's not a matter of if they want a job real bad or not, it's not about whether or not they can pass a drug test. It's a matter of FACT of the jobs being there in the first place.

"Pennsylvania's overall unemployment rate fell from 8.1 percent in February to 7.9 percent in March. The state still fares worse than the national 7.6 percent rate, however, and the drop in unemployment was largely due to a shrinking labor force that shed 33,000 people in March, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Private employment has grown particularly slowly, a setback that contributed to Pennsylvania finishing 49th in job growth during March."

The straw man argument is to assume that no one can pass a drug test, to divert from the real question at hand. Where are the jobs?

From your link:

UPDATE: 4:47 -- Corbett's office referred a request for more information to Dave N. Taylor, director of the Pennsylvania Manufacturers' Association. Taylor said drug use is part of an overall workforce readiness problem that includes things like basic communication skills and punctuality.

"Our manufacturing employers have to go through hundreds of applicants just to get a handful who are qualified," Taylor said, noting that employers need clean workers in order to obtain insurance. "I don't believe that many people understand that by being recreational drug users they're rendering themselves unemployable."

One problem figuring out exactly how many job applicants disqualify themselves with drugs, Taylor said, is that some people drop out of the application process as soon as they know there's a drug test.

You act like he's just making this shit up, apparently it ain't so. I'd say having to go through hundreds to get a handful of clean applicants is a problem, it also cost the businesses a bundle.

This republican lie needs to die. First Nicky Haley made the claim but we discovered this simple truth: "Half the people who applied for a job last year or year 2009 did not fail the drug test," Giusti said. "At the peak of hiring under the Recovery Act we had less than 1 percent of those hired test positive."

No one has been able to come up with any figures that say that more than 1% of the unemployed fail their drug tests.

The GOP Gov of PA is doomed. Rick Santorum's record setting beatdown (much deserved by Rick Santorum, btw) might be in jeopardy of being surpassed.

From your link:

UPDATE: 4:47 -- Corbett's office referred a request for more information to Dave N. Taylor, director of the Pennsylvania Manufacturers' Association. Taylor said drug use is part of an overall workforce readiness problem that includes things like basic communication skills and punctuality.

"Our manufacturing employers have to go through hundreds of applicants just to get a handful who are qualified," Taylor said, noting that employers need clean workers in order to obtain insurance. "I don't believe that many people understand that by being recreational drug users they're rendering themselves unemployable."

One problem figuring out exactly how many job applicants disqualify themselves with drugs, Taylor said, is that some people drop out of the application process as soon as they know there's a drug test.

You act like he's just making this shit up, apparently it ain't so. I'd say having to go through hundreds to get a handful of clean applicants is a problem, it also cost the businesses a bundle.

Quoted me too soon, because I am saying he's making that shit up... Where are his figures that backup his bullshit claim? Same place Nikki Haley has hers when she made the same bullshit claim before his.

Blaming drug use as reason (at least partially) of unemployment, is as baseless and phony as blaming smoking for lung cancer.

Smoking NEVER caused lung cancer.

Using drugs NEVER contributed to unemployment.

Case closed.

From your link:

Quoted me too soon, because I am saying he's making that shit up... Where are his figures that backup his bullshit claim? Same place Nikki Haley has hers when she made the same bullshit claim before his.

Let's say Mr Taylor exaggerated his figures and instead of it taking hundreds of applicants to get a handful of good ones and say it only takes 1 hundred, that still makes a 95% failure rate. And like he said, getting accurate numbers is hard because many just drop out of the process when the hear a drug test is involved. But I'm sure that kind of reasoning is far above the head of a simple minded person such as yourself.

But here's the point that most are missing, it's not a matter of if they want a job real bad or not, it's not about whether or not they can pass a drug test. It's a matter of FACT of the jobs being there in the first place.

"Pennsylvania's overall unemployment rate fell from 8.1 percent in February to 7.9 percent in March. The state still fares worse than the national 7.6 percent rate, however, and the drop in unemployment was largely due to a shrinking labor force that shed 33,000 people in March, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Private employment has grown particularly slowly, a setback that contributed to Pennsylvania finishing 49th in job growth during March."

The straw man argument is to assume that no one can pass a drug test, to divert from the real question at hand. Where are the jobs?
PA is a tale of two states. Much like New York, PA has two large urban centers where 75% of the state's population lives within one hour's drive of the city center. Because of the availability of employers, those areas tend to have lower unemployment rates for people of higher levels of education or higher skill levels. While the rural areas tend to have much higher unemployment for the same reasons only the lack thereof.

Forum List

Back