GOP Governor Suggests Drug Abuse Driving Unemployment

From your link:

UPDATE: 4:47 -- Corbett's office referred a request for more information to Dave N. Taylor, director of the Pennsylvania Manufacturers' Association. Taylor said drug use is part of an overall workforce readiness problem that includes things like basic communication skills and punctuality.

"Our manufacturing employers have to go through hundreds of applicants just to get a handful who are qualified," Taylor said, noting that employers need clean workers in order to obtain insurance. "I don't believe that many people understand that by being recreational drug users they're rendering themselves unemployable."

One problem figuring out exactly how many job applicants disqualify themselves with drugs, Taylor said, is that some people drop out of the application process as soon as they know there's a drug test.

You act like he's just making this shit up, apparently it ain't so. I'd say having to go through hundreds to get a handful of clean applicants is a problem, it also cost the businesses a bundle.

Quoted me too soon, because I am saying he's making that shit up... Where are his figures that backup his bullshit claim? Same place Nikki Haley has hers when she made the same bullshit claim before his.

Let's say Mr Taylor exaggerated his figures and instead of it taking hundreds of applicants to get a handful of good ones and say it only takes 1 hundred, that still makes a 95% failure rate. And like he said, getting accurate numbers is hard because many just drop out of the process when the hear a drug test is involved. But I'm sure that kind of reasoning is far above the head of a simple minded person such as yourself.

How about this, the Governor made this claim....Then he should produce hard numbers to back up his claim. If he can't, then he needs to apologize to the people of Pennsylvania. Like I said before Haley said this same LIE before, because just about ANY job you apply for nowadays requires drug testing.

So whose the simple minded person now?

Quoted me too soon, because I am saying he's making that shit up... Where are his figures that backup his bullshit claim? Same place Nikki Haley has hers when she made the same bullshit claim before his.

Let's say Mr Taylor exaggerated his figures and instead of it taking hundreds of applicants to get a handful of good ones and say it only takes 1 hundred, that still makes a 95% failure rate. And like he said, getting accurate numbers is hard because many just drop out of the process when the hear a drug test is involved. But I'm sure that kind of reasoning is far above the head of a simple minded person such as yourself.

How about this, the Governor made this claim....Then he should produce hard numbers to back up his claim. If he can't, then he needs to apologize to the people of Pennsylvania. Like I said before Haley said this same LIE before, because just about ANY job you apply for nowadays requires drug testing.

So whose the simple minded person now?

He provided a source, so far all you got is an extremely biased web site. How about you prove Mr. Taylor worng, considering his job I would take his word over the huffypost any day. And to answer your question it's you.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) on Monday addressed some worrisome employment figures in the state's March jobs report, saying that job applicants who couldn't pass drug tests are "a serious problem" for Pennsylvania.

"There are many employers that say, 'we’re looking for people, but we can’t find anybody that has passed a drug test,' a lot of them," Corbett said during an interview on Radio PA's "Ask the Governor" program. "And that’s a concern for me because we’re having a serious problem with that."

Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania Governor: Drug Users Boosting Unemployment Rate (UPDATE)

The problem exists everywhere. The average person thinks it's ok to smoke a little pot on the weekend or in the evening after a long day at work.
My take is, if you cannot stay away from illegal substances, you don't deserve to be hired ahead of someone who does not 'indulge'.

I agree. We should make alcohol illegal just like marijuana. Alcohol is much more dangerous. If you have to have a beer, you should not be able to get a job.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) on Monday addressed some worrisome employment figures in the state's March jobs report, saying that job applicants who couldn't pass drug tests are "a serious problem" for Pennsylvania.

"There are many employers that say, 'we’re looking for people, but we can’t find anybody that has passed a drug test,' a lot of them," Corbett said during an interview on Radio PA's "Ask the Governor" program. "And that’s a concern for me because we’re having a serious problem with that."

Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania Governor: Drug Users Boosting Unemployment Rate (UPDATE)

The problem exists everywhere. The average person thinks it's ok to smoke a little pot on the weekend or in the evening after a long day at work.
My take is, if you cannot stay away from illegal substances, you don't deserve to be hired ahead of someone who does not 'indulge'.

I agree. We should make alcohol illegal just like marijuana. Alcohol is much more dangerous. If you have to have a beer, you should not be able to get a job.
Who is "we"?
Please stop the nonsense.

Who is "we"?

We is society. What nonsense? We've done it before; we can do it again. Alcohol is far more harmful than marijuana.

Wishful thinking.

There are THREE UMEMPLOYED for every SINGLE JOB available.

Does the gov think they're ALL DRUG ADDICTS?

No, but he's willing to run that insane tripe up the flagpole to see who salutes it.

Failing a drug test is only part of the reason people don't find jobs. There's this too:

Managers to Millennials: Job Interview No Time to Text

Human resource professionals say they've seen recent college grads text or take calls in interviews, dress inappropriately, use slang or overly casual language, and exhibit other oddball behavior.

"It's behavior that may be completely appropriate outside the interview," says Jaime Fall, vice president of the HR Policy Association. "The interview is still a traditional environment."

Why some job candidates flunked their interviews:

• Taking calls and texting. A male graduate student seeking a managerial position in Avery Dennison's research and development unit took a call on his smartphone about 15 minutes into the interview. The call, which lasted about a minute and wasn't an emergency, ruined his near-certain chance for a job offer, Singel says.

"If he thought that was OK, what else does he think is appropriate?" he says.

• Helicoptering parents. A man in his late 20s brought his father into a 45-minute interview for a material-handling job on an assembly line, says Teri Nichols, owner of a Spherion staffing-agency in Brooksville, Fla. At Cigna, a health insurance provider, the father of a recent grad who received an offer for a sales job, called to negotiate a higher salary, says Paula Welch, a Cigna HR consultant.

• Pets in tow. A college senior brought her cat into an interview for a buyer's position at clothing retailer American Eagle. She set the crate-housed cat on the interviewer's desk and periodically played with it. "It hit me like—why would you think that's OK?" says Mark Dillon, the chain's former recruiting director. "She cut herself off before she had a chance."

Who is "we"?

We is society. What nonsense? We've done it before; we can do it again. Alcohol is far more harmful than marijuana.

Society does not write laws. Legislature does that.
Prohibition....How'd that work out for ya?
Be practical. Beer goes nowhere.
BTW, there is enough tar in one pot joint than an entire pack of cigarettes. Don't say pot isn't as bad a alcoholic beverages.
Your argument is moot. Booze is here to stay. If you want it banned, don't partake.
But don't you dare tell me what's good for me.
If you want to be a brain dead stoner, so be it.
You are a very presumptuous individual.

apparently they are saying those guys are far and few between......

Failing a drug test is only part of the reason people don't find jobs. There's this too:

Managers to Millennials: Job Interview No Time to Text

Human resource professionals say they've seen recent college grads text or take calls in interviews, dress inappropriately, use slang or overly casual language, and exhibit other oddball behavior.

"It's behavior that may be completely appropriate outside the interview," says Jaime Fall, vice president of the HR Policy Association. "The interview is still a traditional environment."

Why some job candidates flunked their interviews:

• Taking calls and texting. A male graduate student seeking a managerial position in Avery Dennison's research and development unit took a call on his smartphone about 15 minutes into the interview. The call, which lasted about a minute and wasn't an emergency, ruined his near-certain chance for a job offer, Singel says.

"If he thought that was OK, what else does he think is appropriate?" he says.

• Helicoptering parents. A man in his late 20s brought his father into a 45-minute interview for a material-handling job on an assembly line, says Teri Nichols, owner of a Spherion staffing-agency in Brooksville, Fla. At Cigna, a health insurance provider, the father of a recent grad who received an offer for a sales job, called to negotiate a higher salary, says Paula Welch, a Cigna HR consultant.

• Pets in tow. A college senior brought her cat into an interview for a buyer's position at clothing retailer American Eagle. She set the crate-housed cat on the interviewer's desk and periodically played with it. "It hit me like—why would you think that's OK?" says Mark Dillon, the chain's former recruiting director. "She cut herself off before she had a chance."

It gets worse..
The most common response to questions regarding inappropriate dress, "these clothes are comfortable"..Men wearing tennis shoes and jeans or women going without hose or wearing sandals to interview is a sure way to have your resume "filed".
People that bring small children to interviews. Then have to interrupt the talk to change the baby's diaper.
Driving a piece of crap car that is old and unreliable.
Unshaven men.
Asking about time off and/vacations before hire.
The list goes on and on.
Oh, another dandy, People who are applying for a job that requires out of town travel then announcing to the hiring manager that they have small children in daycare...HUH?
Why would one apply for such a position knowing full well they must pick up their kids each day by a certain hour?

This republican lie needs to die. First Nicky Haley made the claim but we discovered this simple truth: "Half the people who applied for a job last year or year 2009 did not fail the drug test," Giusti said. "At the peak of hiring under the Recovery Act we had less than 1 percent of those hired test positive."

No one has been able to come up with any figures that say that more than 1% of the unemployed fail their drug tests.

Well according to the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health the percentage of unemployed using illicit drugs is 17.5 percent. This does not include college students or retirees who fell in the category of "other". I doubt it has gone down since then.

Forum List

Back