GOP Rolled back Obama Gun Laws for Mentally ill Receiving SS checks

There may be threads, but nothing about this bill in the title..

I do not recall hearing about this..All I can say Is Why?

The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday 2017 rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

Trump signs bill revoking Obama-era gun checks for mental illness
Well, if what you want is to have mentally ill people from acquiring guns, then I am all in for it....that would disqualify about 47% of the voters, you know who wouldn't vote for Romney...

f07c66b66978438ac438a7cc1ba81a61.jpg

There are any number of retired people on ss that have their financial affairs handled by their banks, or a trust, or others, because they don’t want the hassle, are mentally fit, yet they were included in that bill because they have appointed others to handle their finances.

The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday 2017 rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

The rule in question used entirely unreasonable and non-credible criteria for determining someone to be “mentally unfit”, and on that basis, to deprive them of abn essential Constitutional right without proper due process of law. Had it ever been properly challenged in court, it would almost certainly have been overturned as blatantly unconstitutional anyway.

Note that even in the part that you quoted, “people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs”. Someone who needs help managing his finances is deemed mentally-unfit. No correlation between this and genuine mental illness, and certainly no correlation between this and a propensity for violence or destruction. How can you justify using this as a basis on which to deny someone an essential Constitutional right? You can't.

The Союз Советских Социалистических Республик was big on abusing false diagnoses of “mental illness” as excuses to deny basic human rights to those it deemed to be disloyal to the government. This rule was nothing more or less than an attempt on the part of the Obama administration to do likewise.
Apparently this was a law back in 2007.

The purpose of the obama rule was to take an already vulnerable part of the population, the elderly, and make them even more vulnerable by taking away whatever means of self defense they have. This is part of the plan to kill off the old.

Since no mass shooting was ever conducted by a senior citizen the law was just transparent human sacrifice to the hood rats.

Democrats are trying to cover up their own failures.

So mental ill = rambo? Financially unsuccessful = school shooter?

I thought you were not a bunch of racists, but it is difficult to see in this light.

I disagree with Trump here. People on welfare should not have guns. It's not going to stop the thugs, but the black murder rate might drop a bit.
Anyone with a barrel of KFC can go into any inner city shit hole and trade it for a handgun and a loaded clip.
You lie.

Not surprised the left wants our most vulnerable to be defenseless against the hoards they want to import. Just because I help my folks with their finances doesn't mean they should forfeit their Constitutional right to defend themselves.

Regarding the mental illness aspect, the problem was how the list was created and how to appeal to have your name removed. You can not strip Constitutional rights based on one persons opinion. There needs to be better system in place that includes the courts and a real appeal process.

Not surprised the left wants our most vulnerable to be defenseless against the hoards they want to import. Just because I help my folks with their finances doesn't mean they should forfeit their Constitutional right to defend themselves.

Regarding the mental illness aspect, the problem was how the list was created and how to appeal to have your name removed. You can not strip Constitutional rights based on one persons opinion. There needs to be better system in place that includes the courts and a real appeal process.
Precisely. That rule was never put into force. Had it been, it would have been challenged and found unconstitutional. That rule violates due process and arms bearing rights.

Awesome. Lose constitutional rights because you cant remember to balance a check book.
Thank gawd that son of a bitch is gone.

No, these are the people who are diagnosed with mental illness Harley..

Try reading what it is about. Its a bunch of bullshit. A bad memory suppresses your constitutional right?
And people want trannies that dont even know they have a dick to be in the MILITARY?
LOL give me a break
You are off your game today Harley... trying to distract with the trannies..

This bill was taken out because Trump and the GOP want to erase anything Obama did, and we know that for a fact..

This one is going to backfire on them, because this kid heard voices and was clearly a schizophrenic

This GOP also cut funding for mental health..just awful.

I disagree with Trump here. People on welfare should not have guns. It's not going to stop the thugs, but the black murder rate might drop a bit.

Social Security is not welfare.. but these people are getting Social Security for not being able to work

"People deemed unfit to handel their own financial affairs..."

Peeople on SS have at least cleared some bureacratic hurdle besides just being moochers.

You moron..People pay into their Social Security all of their life...and if they become disabled in some way they receive the checks.

I don't know why Republicans support mentally ill mass murderers.

We need to ask them.

Ok Republicans. Why?

Awesome. Lose constitutional rights because you cant remember to balance a check book.

Try reading what it is about. Its a bunch of bullshit. A bad memory suppresses your constitutional right?
And people want trannies that dont even know they have a dick to be in the MILITARY?
LOL give me a break

This bill was taken out because Trump and the GOP want to erase anything Obama did, and we know that for a fact..

This one is going to backfire on them, because this kid heard voices and was clearly a schizophrenic

Adding perspective isnt distracting. Thats silly.
Backfire why?
What does that authoritarian bullshit have to do with florida?

It included the disabled that were able within that bill, as though they were mentally unfit. It was not a clean bill.

I do not agree with that when I see the bill, you have to have a diagnosis of mental illness and on social security for it..

These people aren't mentally ill, they just need assistance with their financial affairs.
As we get older some of us just don't care as much anymore.
I'll be 66 in a couple of months there's lots of stuff I put off.
I had a fender bender in Aug., still haven't filed the insurance claim. They call me every week.
I don't answer my phone, I don't read my mail.
Still haven't called the insurance company from Irma, roof still leaks.

I'm not mentally ill. I work everyday in a high level govt. job.

Here I will put the Bill in my OP just horrible that they did this..I am angry..
Shown Here:
Public Law No: 115-8 (02/28/2017)

(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

This joint resolution nullifies the “Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007” rule finalized by the Social Security Administration on December 19, 2016. The rule implements a plan to provide to the National Instant Criminal History Background Check System the name of an individual who meets certain criteria, including that benefit payments are made through a representative payee because the individual is determined to be mentally incapable of managing them. (Current law prohibits firearm sale or transfer to and purchase or possession by a person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective.)

It included the disabled that were able within that bill, as though they were mentally unfit. It was not a clean bill.

I do not agree with that when I see the bill, you have to have a diagnosis of mental illness and on social security for it..

These people aren't mentally ill, they just need assistance with their financial affairs.
I had a fender bender in Aug., still haven't filed the insurance claim. They call me every week.

Here I will put the Bill in my OP just horrible that they did this..I am angry..
Shown Here:

(This measure has not been amended since it was introduced. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

This joint resolution nullifies the “Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007” rule finalized by the Social Security Administration on December 19, 2016. The rule implements a plan to provide to the National Instant Criminal History Background Check System the name of an individual who meets certain criteria, including that benefit payments are made through a representative payee because the individual is determined to be mentally incapable of managing them. (Current law prohibits firearm sale or transfer to and purchase or possession by a person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective.)
that could mean they are forget to pay their bills.
This bullcrap is vague as hell for a reason, my dear.

Precisely. That rule was never put into force. Had it been, it would have been challenged and found unconstitutional. That rule violates due process and arms bearing rights.

Yes it did..it became law..

Shown Here:

Shown Here:

that could mean they are forget to pay their bills.
This bullcrap is vague as hell for a reason, my dear.

Look at the bill, it is not just about not able to pay their bill.

Shown Here:

LOL give me a break

Adding perspective isnt distracting. Thats silly.
Backfire why?
What does that authoritarian bullshit have to do with florida?

Because these jerks came on TV claiming to be so concerned..while they side with the NRA and hurt people.. This was clearly what we needed to stop the mentally ill from getting guns..OMG

I just put the bill in your last post..

I don't know why Republicans support mentally ill mass murderers.

We need to ask them.

Ok Republicans. Why?

Most don't even know what it is about..

Shown Here:

Stop making excuses for the GOP siding with the NRA...this boy was clearly mentally ill and hearing voices

Shown Here:

Forum List

Back