GOP Rolled back Obama Gun Laws for Mentally ill Receiving SS checks

I do not recall hearing about this..All I can say Is Why?

The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday 2017 rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

Trump signs bill revoking Obama-era gun checks for mental illness
/—-/ You gun grabbers think Republicans are mentally ill and shouldn’t own guns.

Not all Republican's are on SSDI for mental illness, are they?

The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday 2017 rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

O has lied repeatedly. There is no reason to believe anything that comes out of the mouth of that narcissist.

Not a lie..

H.J.Res.40 - Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Social Security Administration relating to Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.

Actions - H.J.Res.40 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Social Security Administration relating to Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.

Grouped by Home State
Alabama:

Shelby (R-AL), Yea

Strange (R-AL), Yea
Alaska:

Murkowski (R-AK), Yea

Sullivan (R-AK), Yea
Arizona:

Flake (R-AZ), Yea

McCain (R-AZ), Yea
Arkansas:

Boozman (R-AR), Yea

Cotton (R-AR), Yea
California:

Feinstein (D-CA), Nay

Harris (D-CA), Nay
Colorado:

Bennet (D-CO), Nay

Gardner (R-CO), Yea
Connecticut:

Blumenthal (D-CT), Nay

Murphy (D-CT), Nay
Delaware:

Carper (D-DE), Nay

Coons (D-DE), Nay
Florida:

Nelson (D-FL), Nay

Rubio (R-FL), Yea
Georgia:

Isakson (R-GA), Yea

Perdue (R-GA), Yea
Hawaii:

Hirono (D-HI), Nay

Schatz (D-HI), Nay
Idaho:

Crapo (R-ID), Yea

Risch (R-ID), Yea
Illinois:

Duckworth (D-IL), Nay

Durbin (D-IL), Nay
Indiana:

Donnelly (D-IN), Yea

Young (R-IN), Yea
Iowa:

Ernst (R-IA), Yea

Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Kansas:

Moran (R-KS), Yea

Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Kentucky:

McConnell (R-KY), Yea

Paul (R-KY), Yea
Louisiana:

Cassidy (R-LA), Yea

Kennedy (R-LA), Yea
Maine:

Collins (R-ME), Yea

King (I-ME), Yea
Maryland:

Cardin (D-MD), Nay

Van Hollen (D-MD), Nay
Massachusetts:

Markey (D-MA), Nay

Warren (D-MA), Nay
Michigan:

Peters (D-MI), Nay

Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Minnesota:

Franken (D-MN), Nay

Klobuchar (D-MN), Nay
Mississippi:

Cochran (R-MS), Yea

Wicker (R-MS), Yea
Missouri:

Blunt (R-MO), Yea

McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
Montana:

Daines (R-MT), Yea

Tester (D-MT), Yea
Nebraska:

Fischer (R-NE), Yea

Sasse (R-NE), Yea
Nevada:

Cortez Masto (D-NV), Nay

Heller (R-NV), Yea
New Hampshire:

Hassan (D-NH), Nay

Shaheen (D-NH), Nay
New Jersey:

Booker (D-NJ), Nay

Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
New Mexico:

Heinrich (D-NM), Nay

Udall (D-NM), Nay
New York:

Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay

Schumer (D-NY), Nay
North Carolina:

Burr (R-NC), Yea

Tillis (R-NC), Yea
North Dakota:

Heitkamp (D-ND), Yea

Hoeven (R-ND), Yea
Ohio:

Brown (D-OH), Nay

Portman (R-OH), Yea
Oklahoma:

Inhofe (R-OK), Yea

Lankford (R-OK), Yea
Oregon:

Merkley (D-OR), Nay

Wyden (D-OR), Nay
Pennsylvania:

Casey (D-PA), Nay

Toomey (R-PA), Yea
Rhode Island:

Reed (D-RI), Nay

Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
South Carolina:

Graham (R-SC), Yea

Scott (R-SC), Yea
South Dakota:

Rounds (R-SD), Yea

Thune (R-SD), Yea
Tennessee:

Alexander (R-TN), Yea

Corker (R-TN), Yea
Texas:

Cornyn (R-TX), Yea

Cruz (R-TX), Yea
Utah:

Hatch (R-UT), Yea

Lee (R-UT), Yea
Vermont:

Leahy (D-VT), Nay

Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Virginia:

Kaine (D-VA), Nay

Warner (D-VA), Nay
Washington:

Cantwell (D-WA), Nay

Murray (D-WA), Nay
West Virginia:

Capito (R-WV), Yea

Manchin (D-WV), Yea
Wisconsin:

Baldwin (D-WI), Nay

Johnson (R-WI), Yea
Wyoming:

Barrasso (R-WY), Yea

Enzi (R-WY), Yea

The rule in question used entirely unreasonable and non-credible criteria for determining someone to be “mentally unfit”, and on that basis, to deprive them of abn essential Constitutional right without proper due process of law. Had it ever been properly challenged in court, it would almost certainly have been overturned as blatantly unconstitutional anyway.

Note that even in the part that you quoted, “people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs”. Someone who needs help managing his finances is deemed mentally-unfit. No correlation between this and genuine mental illness, and certainly no correlation between this and a propensity for violence or destruction. How can you justify using this as a basis on which to deny someone an essential Constitutional right? You can't.

The Союз Советских Социалистических Республик was big on abusing false diagnoses of “mental illness” as excuses to deny basic human rights to those it deemed to be disloyal to the government. This rule was nothing more or less than an attempt on the part of the Obama administration to do likewise.

Last edited:

I think this defines the definition of the term "media fed".

Note that the main stream media, made no attempt to provide you with the other side of the issue.

That question you ask, should have been answered, if we had a media that was not completely corrupt.

Well, show me your side.

I'm not the familiar with this particular bill.

The reporter interviewed people in support of the bill, or at least researched what they said.

Why do you think that they purposely avoided including any information on their reasons for the position of those against the bill?

Does that seem weird to you?

The White House Is Hiding Photos Of Trump Signing Bill To Reverse Key Obama-Era Gun Regulation

It's no surprise that Trump doesn't want to release a photograph of him making it more likely, not less, for more tragedies like Parkland to happen in the future.…

I disagree with Trump here. People on welfare should not have guns. It's not going to stop the thugs, but the black murder rate might drop a bit.

It included the disabled that were able within that bill, as though they were mentally unfit. It was not a clean bill.

I disagree with Trump here. People on welfare should not have guns. It's not going to stop the thugs, but the black murder rate might drop a bit.

Social Security is not welfare.. but these people are getting Social Security for not being able to work

Awesome. Lose constitutional rights because you cant remember to balance a check book.
Thank gawd that son of a bitch is gone.

No, these are the people who are diagnosed with mental illness Harley..

Try reading what it is about. Its a bunch of bullshit. A bad memory suppresses your constitutional right?
And people want trannies that dont even know they have a dick to be in the MILITARY?
LOL give me a break

Social Security is not welfare.. but these people are getting Social Security for not being able to work

"People deemed unfit to handel their own financial affairs..."

Peeople on SS have at least cleared some bureacratic hurdle besides just being moochers.

Anyone with a barrel of KFC can go into any inner city shit hole and trade it for a handgun and a loaded clip.

It included the disabled that were able within that bill, as though they were mentally unfit. It was not a clean bill.

I do not agree with that when I see the bill, you have to have a diagnosis of mental illness and on social security for it..

These people aren't mentally ill, they just need assistance with their financial affairs.
As we get older some of us just don't care as much anymore.
I'll be 66 in a couple of months there's lots of stuff I put off.
I had a fender bender in Aug., still haven't filed the insurance claim. They call me every week.
I don't answer my phone, I don't read my mail.
Still haven't called the insurance company from Irma, roof still leaks.

I'm not mentally ill. I work everyday in a high level govt. job.

Forum List

Back