GOP voter disenfranchisement in Mississippi

kwc keeps saying things like

virtually every "functioning" member of society already has a photo ID

Most people have them and could easily produce it at the polling place.

vast majority of people have ID

Virtually every, most people, vast majority because he refuses to address what we are talking about which is those people who do NOT have an ID or their ID may be different in some way.

What is your solution for the other people thats not "most people" or "majority"? Those words indicate you know they exist

To get off their butts and get one so they can participate in and contribute to society.

Quit being obtuse. You aren't nearly as clever as you think you are.

"The First Amendment doesn't say "every person has the right to free speech and free exercise of religion." In the Second, the right to "keep and bear arms" isn't defined, but rather shall not be "abridged." In the Fourth, "[t]he right of the people to be secure ... against unreasonable searches and seizures" isn't defined, but instead "shall not be violated." In the Seventh, "the right of (civil) trial by jury" -- whatever that is -- "shall be preserved." And so on.

In those terms, it ought to mean something that the right to vote is singled out more often than any other. Section 2 of the Fourteenth Amendment imposes a penalty upon states that deny or abridge "the right to vote at any [federal or state] election ... to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, ... except for participation in rebellion, or other crime." The Fifteenth states that "[t]he right of citizens of the United States to vote" can't be abridged by race; the Nineteenth says that the same right can't be abridged by sex; the Twenty-Fourth says that "the right of citizens of the United States to vote" in federal elections can't be blocked by a poll tax; and the Twenty-Sixth protects "[t]he right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote."

Voting: Right or Privilege? - Garrett Epps - The Atlantic

One question: if these people have no ID, how did they register to vote? you need to prove your identity in order to get on the voter rolls.

If they are registered, then they have an ID.
If you have no ID the govt will give you one
This is a non issue.

Ding Ding!

The argument they are making though, is that the ID they originally used may have become lost, destroyed, or invalid over time.

If I lose my ID, thats my problem, not anyone else's. If it prevents me from voting, thats also my problem.

But this isn't about that, its about the dems needing the votes of dead people and multiple votes of live people in order to win. Thats what this who ID thing is about-----democrat voter fraud.

And what if the democrat brown shirts (and or black leather-ed panthers) stand in front of your polling place and take your ID card from you?

Last edited:
So, YES voting is a right
and NO, requiring citizens to get a free ID card in order to vote is not too large a burden
And NO, universal background checks is not to large a burden upon the right of an individual citizen to own a firearm.

Ding Ding!

The argument they are making though, is that the ID they originally used may have become lost, destroyed, or invalid over time.

If I lose my ID, thats my problem, not anyone else's. If it prevents me from voting, thats also my problem.

But this isn't about that, its about the dems needing the votes of dead people and multiple votes of live people in order to win. Thats what this who ID thing is about-----democrat voter fraud.

And what if the democrat brown shirts (and or black leather-ed panthers) stand in front of your polling place and take your ID card from you?

then I might have to take advantage of my second amendment rights. :cool:

Honestly, as cell phone and YouTube is more effective.

Well, maybe. But if I am physically assualted and robbed as the previous post suggested, I will very likely shoot the person who tries to do that.

Well, maybe. But if I am physically assualted and robbed as the previous post suggested, I will very likely shoot the person who tries to do that.

It would be best if someone else got video of the robbery, then you shooting the perp...

Yes, of course. the real problem is that my CC permit does not allow me to carry to the polling place.

So, YES voting is a right
and NO, requiring citizens to get a free ID card in order to vote is not too large a burden
And NO, universal background checks is not to large a burden upon the right of an individual citizen to own a firearm.

Well NO, there isn't a right to vote spelled out in the constitution. The author of your article does a nice little piece of rationalization, but that's all it is. Our founding fathers knew that elections would take place thru voting......otherwise it isn't an election, it's an appointment. Since there was only one federal election every four years and the founders intended a small government with powers left to the states, it was the state's responsibility to determine eligibility. In some states back at that time, it was white, male landowners who could vote. Over time that evolved, but it was always the states who decided. The federal government thru constitutional amendments.....which involves ratification thru the STATES did lay out certain elements or conditions that you could not use to exclude eligibility. THAT does not mean everyone has the right to vote. It says you can't exclude a person based on gender as one example. So while you can't deny a woman the right to vote based on her being a woman, you can deny her the right based on the fact that she was a convicted felon. Voting is a privilege and one that every responsible citizen should exercise, but it is not a constitutional right.

Last edited:
Well NO, there isn't a right to vote spelled out in the constitution.
Certainly there is. Your fingers in your ears doesn't change that.

it was the state's responsibility to determine eligibility.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

The right to bear arms isn't spelled out any better. It says that right shall not be infringed. EXACTLY as the right to vote shall not be infringed. If there is no right - there there is no right to infringe.

Your 100% wrong on this one.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

The right to bear arms isn't spelled out any better. It says that right shall not be infringed. EXACTLY as the right to vote shall not be infringed. If there is no right - there there is no right to infringe.

Then take up the challenge. Give me a cut and paste where the constitution guarantees a citizen the right to vote. If you can't, you're wrong. And the quote that has already been thrown out there about poll taxes does not give you the right to vote. It says that your right to vote (provided by the state and not guaranteed by the constitution anywhere in the document) can not be infringed for not paying a poll tax. It is very specific in its nature and wording as are the other amendments listing specific things that can NOT be used to infringe your right.

The right to bear arms is very clear. Always has been.

Keeping your head up your butt doesn't change that.

You're 100% wrong on this one.

15th amendment:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

19th amendment:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

26th amendment:

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

15th amendment:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

19th amendment:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

26th amendment:

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

The end of the statement is the quailfier. You guys need to learn how to read in context. The right to vote granted by your state where you register to vote for everything from dog cathcer to president shall not be denied or abridged for THIS specific reason.

Why specify specfic conditions when the easiest single thing to do is say your right to vote shall not be denied or abridged for any reason? Come on, this isn't hard. Yes, we all grew up wit hthe myth that we have a constitutional right to vote. Everyone assumes it is true. But an honest reading of the constitution disproves it.

15th amendment:

19th amendment:

26th amendment:

The end of the statement is the quailfier. You guys need to learn how to read in context. The right to vote granted by your state where you register to vote for everything from dog cathcer to president shall not be denied or abridged for THIS specific reason.

Why specify specfic conditions when the easiest single thing to do is say your right to vote shall not be denied or abridged for any reason? Come on, this isn't hard. Yes, we all grew up wit hthe myth that we have a constitutional right to vote. Everyone assumes it is true. But an honest reading of the constitution disproves it.
100% correct.

15th amendment:

19th amendment:

26th amendment:

If I say we have a constitutional right to vote. That is not the same as saying we have a constitutional right to vote while we are in the womb continuing well after our death, is it?

Is there a constitutional right to vote? As cited above, yes. Is there an unrestricted constitutional right to vote no matter your legal status? No. It's not mentioned. Why? Because at the start, the 10th amendment meant such issues were left to the states. The only exception, at the start, was how we picked the senate members and some folks that would be selected by the president and approved by congress.

For those who believe you have a constitutional right to vote, why is there an organization pushing to achieve a constitutional amendment to guarantee a right to vote?

FairVote.org | Right to Vote Amendment

"Everyone should have the right to vote in free and fair elections regardless of who they are or where they live. To that end, FairVote advocates for establishing an explicit individual right to vote in the U.S. Constitution. In pursuit of that ideal, FairVote works to enact policies at the federal, state, and local levels that are consistent with our conviction that voting is not a privilege, but a right. We have a strategy for change that is grounded in having a national vision and local action plan, as embodied by our Promote Our Vote project."

"The right to vote is the foundation of any democracy. Yet most Americans do not realize that we do not have an explicitly protected right to vote in the U.S. Constitution. While there are amendments to the U.S. Constitution that prohibit discrimination based on race (15th), sex (19th) and age (26th), no explicit right to vote exists. That hole in our Constitution creates gaps in our protection of what should be a fundamental right.

The 2000 presidential election was the first time many Americans realized the necessity of a constitutional right to vote. The majority of the U.S. Supreme Court, in Bush v. Gore (2000), wrote, "The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States." The U.S. is one of only 11 other democracies in the world with no affirmative right to vote enshrined in its constitution."

I didnt say "no access" I said they dont have it. Whether or not you "get it" doesnt change facts. For reference Think about Math Class. 2+2=4 no matter if you understand or not

If they have access but didn't bother to get said ID, then that isn't quite the narrative you want to spin, is it? Lazy is hardly the same as disenfranchised.

Didnt get the Hula Hoop? Tough. Cant vote without one. But never stating why the Hula Hoop is needed in the first place. Authoritarians dont question they just do
You stupid ****! We are talking about hulla-hoops' that have the persons photograph on them to prove they are who they say they are. Go sleep the meth off.
You're boring people.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

Then take up the challenge. Give me a cut and paste where the constitution guarantees a citizen the right to vote. If you can't, you're wrong. And the quote that has already been thrown out there about poll taxes does not give you the right to vote. It says that your right to vote (provided by the state and not guaranteed by the constitution anywhere in the document) can not be infringed for not paying a poll tax. It is very specific in its nature and wording as are the other amendments listing specific things that can NOT be used to infringe your right.

The right to bear arms is very clear. Always has been.

Keeping your head up your butt doesn't change that.

You're 100% wrong on this one.

the right to bear arms, the intent behind the right to bear arms, examples of how armed citizens might come into play. truly the 2nd amendment is one of the most clearly defined of any amendment yet the most spun out of control today.

Forum List

Back