🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gorsuch: 'I'm sorry' for ruling against autistic student

JohnnyApplesack

Gold Member
Feb 8, 2011
holy cow, this guy has balls the size of BB's, bigtime sissy boy patsy for rightwing billionaires....

Source: Politico

By BENJAMIN WERMUND 03/22/17 01:15 PM EDT

Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch said an opinion he wrote siding with a Colorado school district over the family of an autistic student was "wrong" and "I'm sorry" for it — but he had been bound by precedent.

The 10th Circuit judge made the comments after Sen. Dick Durbin announced during Gorsuch's confirmation hearing that the Supreme Court had just ruled unanimously in a similar case that school districts must go the extra mile to accommodate students with disabilities.

"It’s a powerful decision, it’s a unanimous decision, it was written by the chief justice of the court,” Durbin said. "Why in your early decision did you want to lower the bar so low ... ?" Gorsuch responded that he is often asked whether he abides precedent and whether he always like the rulings he reaches.

"Here’s a case for you," he said. "If anyone is suggesting that I like a result where an autistic child happens to lose, that’s a heartbreaking accusation to me. Heartbreaking. But the fact of the matter is I was bound by circuit precedent," Gorsuch continued. "I was wrong because I was bound by circuit precedent and I’m sorry."

Gorsuch was only selected to say yes to GOP orders anyways. I don't know why anybody cares about his opinions.

check this out:

Under Gorsuch’s opinion in Luke P., a school district complies with the law so long as they provide educational benefits that “must merely be ‘more than de minimis.’”

De minimis” is a Latin phrase meaning “so minor as to merit disregard.” So Gorsuch essentially concluded that school districts comply with their obligation to disabled students so long as they provide those students with a little more than nothing.

All eight justices rejected Gorsuch’s approach. IDEA, Chief Justice Roberts wrote, “is markedly more demanding than the ‘merely more than de minimis’ test applied by the Tenth Circuit.” Indeed, Roberts added, Gorsuch’s approach would effectively strip many disabled students of their right to an education.

....yeah, great pick Agent Orange

next

holy cow, this guy has balls the size of BB's, bigtime sissy boy patsy for rightwing billionaires....

Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch said an opinion he wrote siding with a Colorado school district over the family of an autistic student was "wrong" and "I'm sorry" for it — but he had been bound by precedent.

The 10th Circuit judge made the comments after Sen. Dick Durbin announced during Gorsuch's confirmation hearing that the Supreme Court had just ruled unanimously in a similar case that school districts must go the extra mile to accommodate students with disabilities.

"It’s a powerful decision, it’s a unanimous decision, it was written by the chief justice of the court,” Durbin said. "Why in your early decision did you want to lower the bar so low ... ?" Gorsuch responded that he is often asked whether he abides precedent and whether he always like the rulings he reaches.

"Here’s a case for you," he said. "If anyone is suggesting that I like a result where an autistic child happens to lose, that’s a heartbreaking accusation to me. Heartbreaking. But the fact of the matter is I was bound by circuit precedent," Gorsuch continued. "I was wrong because I was bound by circuit precedent and I’m sorry."

So, I'm confused. What exactly are you upset about, that he sided with precedent? That's interesting, considering every time we have a Republican Supreme Court nominee the biggest question that always pops up from the Democratic Senators is will they respect stare decisis when it comes to Roe v Wade?

So, which is it? Should justices be expected to uphold the precedent of past courts or not?

Hmmm, he followed the law, as written.

I don't see a problem with that.

Gorsuch impresses me even more.

I would like someone to ask him if he would have voted to overturn Plessy in 1954.

So he had a decision overturned in the middle of his confirmation hearing? Damn.

Forum List

Back