🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gotta love it when you have a bad start to your work morning.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Fuel pump is dead. This job sucks by yourself.

20210701_092329.jpg
20210701_094436.jpg

I never understood why you'd take the time to take off the bed of the truck since I can lower a gas tank before you can get the bed of the truck raised...But i know some folks do things different.

I never understood why you'd take the time to take off the bed of the truck since I can lower a gas tank before you can get the bed of the truck raised...But i know some folks do things different.
Full gas tank. Not dealing with that mess. Only took 30 minutes to get the bed up.

Full gas tank. Not dealing with that mess. Only took 30 minutes to get the bed up.
It always seems to happens with a full tank or it's just as an old man we tend to keep gas in the vehicle since we can't walk far, in my youth I walked a lot because I just never did seem to have time to stop and get gas.

I always had a ton of brick, blocks, rocks or mortar with sand in my back end so raising the bed wasn't an issue.

When Ford came out with the first fuel pump in the gas tank you could reach up and twist the top off and replace the fuel pump assembly...

It always seems to happens with a full tank or it's just as an old man we tend to keep gas in the vehicle since we can't walk far, in my youth I walked a lot because I just never did seem to have time to stop and get gas.

I always had a ton of brick, blocks, rocks or mortar with sand in my back end so raising the bed wasn't an issue.
I would probably buy a new truck before I would clean all that crap out of the back of my truck. I still have a set of lineup clamps back there from a job I did 5 years ago.

I would probably buy a new truck before I would clean all that crap out of the back of my truck. I still have a set of lineup clamps back there from a job I did 5 years ago.
I just crawled underneath and dropped the tank replaced the fuel assembly and put the tank back up..

I just crawled underneath and dropped the tank replaced the fuel assembly and put the tank back up..
I used to do that, but the best way now is to just hire it done.

When Ford came out with the first fuel pump in the gas tank you could reach up and twist the top off and replace the fuel pump assembly...
This still requires no tools to change it. Screwdriver and a hammer to smack it for the initial twist. It's just a shitty location.
No way I'd pay someone 600 to 800 bucks to do what I can do in less than an hour. Only issue is waiting on the part to get in for pick up.

The only thing I hire out are jobs I don't have the knowledge to do. Like rebuilding a rear-end or flashing a new computer because the squirrels chewed up my old one.
The money I've saved over the years is likely in the tens of thousands. Work trucks take a lot of abuse

This still requires no tools to change it. Screwdriver and a hammer to smack it for the initial twist. It's just a shitty location.
No way I'd pay someone 600 to 800 bucks to do what I can do in less than an hour. Only issue is waiting on the part to get in for pick up.
I liked when we could change the old pumps from the cam shaft in the older trucks but, I know the fuel injectors need to have high pressure delivery..

The only thing I hire out are jobs I don't have the knowledge to do. Like rebuilding a rear-end or flashing a new computer because the squirrels chewed up my old one.
The money I've saved over the years is likely in the tens of thousands. Work trucks take a lot of abuse
I felt the same way a few years back until I realized that I wouldn't get a bit of use out of that money in the bank if I don't spend it before I die.

I remember putting a new fuel pump in my old Chevy, which I still am nursing along (a '94) and it crapped out in a month. That's when someone said you need to change the fuel tank out too. Put a new tank in, with a replacement pump, and that was 10 years ago, still going strong.

If your new pump craps out, it could be a rusty fuel tank causing it.

It's actually kind of neat when you learn how to do stuff because you aren't too scared to try.
On my road vehicles, I have made it all the way up to replacing brakes, and all general maintenance.
With the mud bikes, about the only thing I won't do is the drive shaft and transmissions.

I am still not great with getting the bearings assembly in and out of the hubs, just haven't mastered that yet.
I can replace an axel on a Polaris Razor in 15-20 minutes though, and that is taking my time making sure I am doing it correctly.
Plus, I have done it more than a few times, and having the right tools helps a lot.

Good Luck With Your Truck.

Last edited:

It's actually kind of neat when you learn how to do stuff because you aren't too scared to try.
On my road vehicles, I have made it all the way up to replacing brakes, and all general maintenance.
With the mud bikes, about the only thing I won't do is the drive shaft and transmissions.

I am still not great with getting the bearings assembly in and out of the hubs, just haven't mastered that yet.
I can replace an axel on a Polaris Razor in 15-20 minutes though, and that is taking my time making sure I am doing it correctly.
Plus, I have done it more than a few times, and having the right tools helps a lot.

Good Luck With Your Truck.

Worst job I've done are heater cores. Awful awful job over an 80 dollar part but the shops want a grand in labor so I do it myself.

Heater core nightmare requires this

Lol ... That looks like a mess ... :auiqs.jpg:

I guess one of the reasons I don't mind working on the bikes, is that you can damn sure get to everything you need to fix,
except for the occasional CV Boot rear clamp on a tie rod, that might be tucked way up in a hard spot.

1625159105642.png

.​

I remember putting a new fuel pump in my old Chevy, which I still am nursing along (a '94) and it crapped out in a month. That's when someone said you need to change the fuel tank out too. Put a new tank in, with a replacement pump, and that was 10 years ago, still going strong.

If your new pump craps out, it could be a rusty fuel tank causing it.
One reason I like to take it off and inspect it and drain it for any crap accumulation, need to do my oil pan next.

Forum List

Back