Gov. Mike Pence to push for clarification of ‘religious freedom’ law

:lol: Backing down already

Swarens Gov. Mike Pence to push for clarification of religious freedom law

“I support religious liberty, and I support this law,” Pence said in an exclusive interview. “But we are in discussions with legislative leaders this weekend to see if there’s a way to clarify the intent of the law.”

The governor, although not ready to provide details on what the new bill will say, said he expects the legislation to be introduced into the General Assembly this coming week.

Oesterle’s statement is a telling sign that the outrage over RFRA isn’t limited only to the political left. Oesterle directed Republican Mitch Daniels’ 2004 campaign for governor. And it’s a signal that the damage from the RFRA debacle could be extensive.

Behind the scenes, Pence and his team have been scrambling to mitigate that damage — both to the state and to the governor’s political career.

Pence said, for example, that he had a “cordial and productive” conversation with Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff, who announced shortly after Pence signed the RFRA legislation on Thursday that the company will cancel all corporate-related travel to Indiana. That conversation, however, has not led to a reversal of the Salesforce decision.

Just curious: Will Salesforce cancel all corporate-related travel to states that have prosecuted or punished Christian vendors whose only "crime" was that they politely and respectfully declined to service a gay wedding?
Probably not.

Btw, I'm sure many vendors politely and respectfully declined to service black people a long time ago.

“I support religious liberty, and I support this law,” Pence said in an exclusive interview. “But we are in discussions with legislative leaders this weekend to see if there’s a way to clarify the intent of the law.”

The governor, although not ready to provide details on what the new bill will say, said he expects the legislation to be introduced into the General Assembly this coming week.

Oesterle’s statement is a telling sign that the outrage over RFRA isn’t limited only to the political left. Oesterle directed Republican Mitch Daniels’ 2004 campaign for governor. And it’s a signal that the damage from the RFRA debacle could be extensive.

Behind the scenes, Pence and his team have been scrambling to mitigate that damage — both to the state and to the governor’s political career.

Pence said, for example, that he had a “cordial and productive” conversation with Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff, who announced shortly after Pence signed the RFRA legislation on Thursday that the company will cancel all corporate-related travel to Indiana. That conversation, however, has not led to a reversal of the Salesforce decision.

Just curious: Will Salesforce cancel all corporate-related travel to states that have prosecuted or punished Christian vendors whose only "crime" was that they politely and respectfully declined to service a gay wedding?
Probably not.

Btw, I'm sure many vendors politely and respectfully declined to service black people a long time ago.

Yes but thankfully most Democrats have joined with the Republicans in not doing that kind of thing anymore.

Why would they?

MIKEGRIFFITH1 SAID:

“Just curious: Will Salesforce cancel all corporate-related travel to states that have prosecuted or punished Christian vendors whose only "crime" was that they politely and respectfully declined to service a gay wedding?”

Business owners who violate state or local public accommodations laws aren't subject to 'prosecution' or 'punishment.'

They can be sued in civil court by the injured party who may seek injunctive relief – in most cases an administrative law judge simply orders the business owner to accommodate the patron he refused to serve.

And all business owners are subject to state and local public accommodations laws, not just Christians; the intent of public accommodations laws is regulatory, not punitive against Christians or other theists, consequently one may not claim a 'religious exemption' from obeying an otherwise just and proper law.

It should be that discrimination against queers is required (as in the California Briggs Initiative). This should be especially where there is contact (even verbally) with children. So coaching, teaching, counseling, doctors, and anything of that sort should be off limits to anyone who is not 100% heterosexual. The protestors protesting against Pence are out of their minds, and should be disregarded as such.

we should know because Pence is a Republican governor. well you get the picture.

SNIP:

Remember When Democrats Used To Support Religious Freedom?

March 26, 2015 By Bill Clinton

Remarks on Signing the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993
November 16, 1993

Thank you very much, Mr. Vice President, for those fine remarks and to the Members of Congress, the chaplains of the House and the Senate, and to all of you who worked so hard to help this day become a reality. Let me especially thank the Coalition for the Free Exercise of Religion for the central role they played in drafting this legislation and working so hard for its passage.

ALL of it here:
Remember When Democrats Supported Religious Freedom

If I were hosting a seminar on the health risks of homosexual conduct, and I walked into a print shop to have them print up some booklets to hand out at the seminar, and the printer happened to be gay and told me he did not want to print what he considered to be "anti-gay propaganda," I would simply thank him for his time and go find another printer. I would never dream of suing him or otherwise trying to get him in trouble. I would respect his beliefs and feelings, even though I found them absurd.

Why can't gays show the same tolerance and respect for religious vendors who find gay marriage offensive?

This is *not* the same thing as refusing to serve someone a meal at your restaurant or refusing a couple a hotel room at your hotel. Food, lodging, auto repair, home repair, things like that, can be viewed as "basic" needs that any vendor should be willing to provide, regardless of race, lifestyle, creed, etc.

This "clarification" is in effect a hidden apology for being a tool of Right wing religion mongers with "attitude" ...guess what Governor Pence you severely damaged your state economy in order to maneuver yourself for Presidential aspirations by getting wing nut creds...its too late to apologize ...its too late ...

Fox News Dishonest Defense Of Indiana s Anti-LGBT Religious Freedom Law Blog Media Matters for America

Unlike the federal RFRA, Indiana's RFRA contains an extremely broad definition of "person" that includes organizations, corporations, or companies that are: "compelled or limited by a system of religious belief held by an individual or the individuals; who have control and substantial ownership of the entity, regardless of whether the entity is organized and operated for profit or nonprofit purposes."

As Buzzfeed also reported:

The Indiana bill is broader than federal law. While the Indiana bill says that a "governmental entity may not substantially burden a person's exercise of religion," it also applies those rules to businesses and interactions between private parties "regardless of whether the state or any other government entity is party to the proceeding."

Portraying Indiana's RFRA as benign legislation identical to the "bipartisan" federal law isn't just inaccurate journalism. It is a part of Fox's larger role in promoting the narrative of Christian persecution to support the passage of a number of state RFRAs now being considered in states across the country. Expect to see Fox continue to misrepresent RFRA as a harmless law protecting "religious liberty" while ignoring the fact that these bills are actually the product of powerful anti-LGBT organizations lobbying to legalize anti-LGBT discrimination.

If I were hosting a seminar on the health risks of homosexual conduct, and I walked into a print shop to have them print up some booklets to hand out at the seminar, and the printer happened to be gay and told me he did not want to print what he considered to be "anti-gay propaganda,

Now that's a stupid analogy.

If you were really preparing a booklet talking accurately about the health risk of homosexual activity, most gays would welcome the accurate information.

It ain't like they don't know the risks. Hell they would even help edit the thing so the information was vetted and accurate. You might even go to them for help in preparing this booklet.

Now, if all you are doing is spreading lies and bullshit (most likely) then they might tell you to fuck off. Nicely though.
Then you could sue them for not wanting to print bullshit and lies. Good luck.

But a poor analogy.

we should know because Pence is a Republican governor. well you get the picture.

SNIP:

Remember When Democrats Used To Support Religious Freedom?

March 26, 2015 By Bill Clinton

Remarks on Signing the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993
November 16, 1993

Thank you very much, Mr. Vice President, for those fine remarks and to the Members of Congress, the chaplains of the House and the Senate, and to all of you who worked so hard to help this day become a reality. Let me especially thank the Coalition for the Free Exercise of Religion for the central role they played in drafting this legislation and working so hard for its passage.

ALL of it here:
Remember When Democrats Supported Religious Freedom

LOL As the loons sit there all sheepish

These idiots don't give a damn about Indiana's law, their media masters have demanded they whine so whine they di.

Fox News Dishonest Defense Of Indiana s Anti-LGBT Religious Freedom Law Blog Media Matters for America

Unlike the federal RFRA, Indiana's RFRA contains an extremely broad definition of "person" that includes organizations, corporations, or companies that are: "compelled or limited by a system of religious belief held by an individual or the individuals; who have control and substantial ownership of the entity, regardless of whether the entity is organized and operated for profit or nonprofit purposes."

As Buzzfeed also reported:

The Indiana bill is broader than federal law. While the Indiana bill says that a "governmental entity may not substantially burden a person's exercise of religion," it also applies those rules to businesses and interactions between private parties "regardless of whether the state or any other government entity is party to the proceeding."

Portraying Indiana's RFRA as benign legislation identical to the "bipartisan" federal law isn't just inaccurate journalism. It is a part of Fox's larger role in promoting the narrative of Christian persecution to support the passage of a number of state RFRAs now being considered in states across the country. Expect to see Fox continue to misrepresent RFRA as a harmless law protecting "religious liberty" while ignoring the fact that these bills are actually the product of powerful anti-LGBT organizations lobbying to legalize anti-LGBT discrimination.
Faiiling to mention 11 other states have laws similar to Indiana's. Where are the discrimination complaints?

Let law stand. Private business should be able to make their own choice. Gays and meteors that disagree have the right to help set up legal boycotts and protest and such too. Will be fun to watch and see how it goes.

Forum List

Back