Government is a beautiful thing

The private sector is good at targeted research - research that is needed to get a specific product to market to make money. The market sucks for real research - the kind that does not get a product to market but instead advances the entire human race and redefines our boundaries.
Once again, bullshit. Anything which truly "advances the entire human race" becomes a priceless commodity in the private market because they people will pay for it. All of the R&D that you want to point to in the public sector was the result of military defense (such as space exploration - a direct response to the U.S.S.R. sending a rocket into space). Defense is the constitutional responsibility of the federal government.

Furthermore, even if you were telling the truth (and you're absolutely not) - it doesn't matter. No where is the federal government authorized to reach beyond their 18 enumerated powers whenever they feel is will "advance the entire human race". If you progressives want something done by the federal government - then amend the U.S. Constitution to reflect that as their responsibility. If you can't get the votes to do so, then respect the fact that we the people have spoken and rejected your desire.

NWeatherService WAS priceless to the "general public" at the time it was created. But there was NO commercial value to the general free market. In fact using that example, the ONLY stakeholders I can think of would be the Insurance Companies. And the very idea of an Insurance company partnering with competitors to do high tech development sounds like a disaster to me. Govt has no particular expertise in it either. But as CONTRACTOR was probably the best place to get it done.
Not really. I can look outside of my window to see what's happening. I really don't need a meteorologist to tell me.

And don't try to sell me on the fact that it saves lives. We had a National Weather Service during Hurricane Katrina. How did that work out?

Well if that Idiot mayor Nagin had moved the school buses out of the Lowlands, or the Army Corps of Eng didn't squander the dike money on payouts to the local politicians, ---- It would have been MUCH better. :badgrin:

And if you're looking out the winder at a tornado --- you're probably gonna die .... .
Same with a pilot who just wets his thumb, reads the wind, and looks up to the sky before he climbs into a jumbo jet for a 1000 mile trip... Folks gonna die...
:rolleyes:

Yeah, when it comes to tech that's what we have Apple, Dell, Microsoft, HP and Intel ect for. I agree on specific defense related research, however if there's cross applicability to the civilian sector the government can license it. Unfortunately were are also funding crap studies to the tune of hundreds of millions a year on things like the drinking habits of Chinese hookers. Between that and the national endowment for the arts, the Kennedy Center and a butt load of others we're wasting tons on unconstitutional stuff.
The private sector is good at targeted research - research that is needed to get a specific product to market to make money.

The market sucks for real research - the kind that does not get a product to market but instead advances the entire human race and redefines our boundaries. The space program is a glaring example of this. There is a place in science for government because they are able to seek answers regardless of possible profit margins and they are large enough to take the losses that requires.

We would still not have went to space without the government taking that first step. In the years to come, the market will produce profitable ventures there. That is the type of raw science that the government should be involved in - the type that pushed the very boundaries of the human race. Then the market can take that research and utilize it in the market.

The argument is not right or wrong, it's whether it is constitutional. As written, it's not except for military applications.
That may very well be the case.

I would have no problem whatsoever with supporting an amendment that brought such research as a primary responsibility for the government or your position that such is required.

I don't know guys. And as Libertarian I should be completely clear on this. BUT -- the Constitution doesn't a right for the govt to have a NatWeatherService either. And you could make the argument that it is LESS needed now than it was when it was initiated because the coverage is pretty good thru COMMERCIAL sources now. But at the time -- it was a critical gap that the markets didn't serve. In fact, I worked on NextRad radar displays that were NWS funded and saved COUNTLESS lives. It needs to better MANAGED and tracked for sure.

Same deal with NOAA and the bones that are LEFT of NASA. They did fill a necessary gap at the time they were created and should be CONSTANTLY re-examined for continuing in that role. PERHAPS commercial satellites would fill some gaps. Perhaps private space ventures would solve all the COMMON commercial needs.

MY test is whether the design, product or service EXISTS on the open market. If it does, like in "energy efficient appliances" or solar panels, they should NEVER be subsidized or funded. If it DOESN'T exist, than decisions should be made on the basis of promoting commerce or the general welfare and treated as PURE R&D and ideas funded strictly by MERIT on innovation and invention and ROI to the general economy.

This is the basis for my argument.

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

The NWS along with early NASA acrivity can be argued as being necessary for national defense, the NWS is used not only to predict weather events in the US but in other theaters of operation. Knowing weather forecast helps us protect our military assets at home and abroad. The civilian benefits are just a great side effect.

NWS was no more for defense than the Lewis/Clark expedition. GEEBUS -- why is a Libertarian explaining to you "Constitutionalists" the fair and reasoned use of "nation scale engineering" ??

The private sector is good at targeted research - research that is needed to get a specific product to market to make money. The market sucks for real research - the kind that does not get a product to market but instead advances the entire human race and redefines our boundaries.
Once again, bullshit. Anything which truly "advances the entire human race" becomes a priceless commodity in the private market because they people will pay for it. All of the R&D that you want to point to in the public sector was the result of military defense (such as space exploration - a direct response to the U.S.S.R. sending a rocket into space). Defense is the constitutional responsibility of the federal government.

Furthermore, even if you were telling the truth (and you're absolutely not) - it doesn't matter. No where is the federal government authorized to reach beyond their 18 enumerated powers whenever they feel is will "advance the entire human race". If you progressives want something done by the federal government - then amend the U.S. Constitution to reflect that as their responsibility. If you can't get the votes to do so, then respect the fact that we the people have spoken and rejected your desire.

NWeatherService WAS priceless to the "general public" at the time it was created. But there was NO commercial value to the general free market. In fact using that example, the ONLY stakeholders I can think of would be the Insurance Companies. And the very idea of an Insurance company partnering with competitors to do high tech development sounds like a disaster to me. Govt has no particular expertise in it either. But as CONTRACTOR was probably the best place to get it done.
Not really. I can look outside of my window to see what's happening. I really don't need a meteorologist to tell me.

And don't try to sell me on the fact that it saves lives. We had a National Weather Service during Hurricane Katrina. How did that work out?

Actually it worked out pretty well, we moved many military assets out of the path of the storm and had them available to help rescue the people that didn't listen and refused to evacuate.

Here's a proposal --- Instead of DARPA -- which is the main conduit for "milita
Well -- we let the world produce the EASY stuff (basketballs, shoes, toasters, TVs, dildos) and to SURVIVE as a nation now -- we must step up to being explorers, innovators, and inventors. Actually a matter of national survival at this point. And I don't mind general funding to encourage and promote those activities.

You are innovators and inventors. And the govt has always funded it.

Nothye havent.

You've obviously never heard of this little agency called NASA...

NASA doesn't have a big effect on commercial innovation anymore. Hasn't since the 80s... Do you know who we're talking about when we say the innovators and inventors? These are the folks that are creating the next MicroSoft or Gen Electric. And are hugely more HINDERED by onslaughts of legislation and regulation than their predecessors.

Oh I do.. I don't know what specifically you objected to -- but basic R&D can be justified certainly for military purposes. But also for promoting commerce. Playing markets with Solyndras and Teslas -- not so much. GENERIC science and technology funding is VITAL to keeping America in the Global game at this point.

The Space Program was a good example of that. It was really a vehicle for boosting America's total competence in science and engineering. And I wouldn't oppose that IF it's done in an equitable manner and money is not TARGETED to specific companies or specific politically charged agendas like "Climate Change".

That latter example of funding "Climate Change" research wouldn't really bother me greatly IF the funding didn't ASK for particular political policy conclusions to be delivered. :rolleyes:

Yeah, when it comes to tech that's what we have Apple, Dell, Microsoft, HP and Intel ect for. I agree on specific defense related research, however if there's cross applicability to the civilian sector the government can license it. Unfortunately were are also funding crap studies to the tune of hundreds of millions a year on things like the drinking habits of Chinese hookers. Between that and the national endowment for the arts, the Kennedy Center and a butt load of others we're wasting tons on unconstitutional stuff.
The private sector is good at targeted research - research that is needed to get a specific product to market to make money.

The market sucks for real research - the kind that does not get a product to market but instead advances the entire human race and redefines our boundaries. The space program is a glaring example of this. There is a place in science for government because they are able to seek answers regardless of possible profit margins and they are large enough to take the losses that requires.

We would still not have went to space without the government taking that first step. In the years to come, the market will produce profitable ventures there. That is the type of raw science that the government should be involved in - the type that pushed the very boundaries of the human race. Then the market can take that research and utilize it in the market.

The argument is not right or wrong, it's whether it is constitutional. As written, it's not except for military applications.

I would have no problem whatsoever with supporting an amendment that brought such research as a primary responsibility for the government or your position that such is required.

I don't know guys. And as Libertarian I should be completely clear on this. BUT -- the Constitution doesn't a right for the govt to have a NatWeatherService either. And you could make the argument that it is LESS needed now than it was when it was initiated because the coverage is pretty good thru COMMERCIAL sources now. But at the time -- it was a critical gap that the markets didn't serve. In fact, I worked on NextRad radar displays that were NWS funded and saved COUNTLESS lives. It needs to better MANAGED and tracked for sure.

Same deal with NOAA and the bones that are LEFT of NASA. They did fill a necessary gap at the time they were created and should be CONSTANTLY re-examined for continuing in that role. PERHAPS commercial satellites would fill some gaps. Perhaps private space ventures would solve all the COMMON commercial needs.

MY test is whether the design, product or service EXISTS on the open market. If it does, like in "energy efficient appliances" or solar panels, they should NEVER be subsidized or funded. If it DOESN'T exist, than decisions should be made on the basis of promoting commerce or the general welfare and treated as PURE R&D and ideas funded strictly by MERIT on innovation and invention and ROI to the general economy.
You've touched upon an issue that free marketers fail to grasp (or maybe just don't want to). In the corporate world with maybe a few exceptions like IBM, Bell Labs, and Elon Musk's enterprises, if it's not going to pay off in about 5 years, some bean counter will axe it.

This is the basis for my argument.

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

The NWS along with early NASA acrivity can be argued as being necessary for national defense, the NWS is used not only to predict weather events in the US but in other theaters of operation. Knowing weather forecast helps us protect our military assets at home and abroad. The civilian benefits are just a great side effect.

NWS was no more for defense than the Lewis/Clark expedition. GEEBUS -- why is a Libertarian explaining to you "Constitutionalists" the fair and reasoned use of "nation scale engineering" ??

Oh right, that's why we've lost all those military aircraft and ships to unforeseen storms, right?

Here's the thing about the RW's perspective on government: liberals don't say "more government, the better!" Obviously that's wrong when we look at Totalitarian regimes from history like Hitler or Stalin. Liberals, generally, want a government that serves the collective. They want a government that puts a capitalistic economy in check for the sake of the greater good.

Liberals want effective regulatory policies over society.

Now that idea is a thought-provoking one. One of course has to ask: where do you draw the line on government power? How do you balance individual freedom with law and order that protects society as a whole? It's not an easy answer.

However, all that being said, this country needs a strong government. It needs a strong federal government. Republicans' goals to weaken it are perverse.

When government works, it really works. It's a beautiful thing that can bring harmony to society if it is designed properly.

Use the Constitution. It works. It keeps the federal government in check, as is its purpose.
Lincoln, our nation's greatest president, expanded the power of the federal government.
You speak of totalitarian regimes and mention Lincoln. Well done!

Here's the thing about the RW's perspective on government: liberals don't say "more government, the better!" Obviously that's wrong when we look at Totalitarian regimes from history like Hitler or Stalin. Liberals, generally, want a government that serves the collective. They want a government that puts a capitalistic economy in check for the sake of the greater good.

Now that idea is a thought-provoking one. One of course has to ask: where do you draw the line on government power? How do you balance individual freedom with law and order that protects society as a whole? It's not an easy answer.

However, all that being said, this country needs a strong government. It needs a strong federal government. Republicans' goals to weaken it are perverse.

When government works, it really works. It's a beautiful thing that can bring harmony to society if it is designed properly.

You are correct, government is beautiful..............especially one that lets its path be chosen by the covenant it has had with its people, using the rules established and never changed.

Therefore---------> your side lost, you are SOL, you are out of power in the Feds and most states, go to hell, go directly to hell, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars......AND, make sure your compatriots stop gaslighting, unless of course, that is the only way you can exert any sort of pressure upon a citizenry that has absolutely REJECTED you, and your policies!

Timothy Daughtry - Gaslighting and the Left’s War on Reality

You've touched upon an issue that free marketers fail to grasp (or maybe just don't want to). In the corporate world with maybe a few exceptions like IBM, Bell Labs, and Elon Musk's enterprises, if it's not going to pay off in about 5 years, some bean counter will axe it.

That wasn't the case just 20 years ago. Because the RATE of innovation feeds the system. When you had "critical mass" like in Silicon Valley, anything was fair game.. And if the "big guys" weren't interested, you'd still find people that could chart a 10 year path to "sneek up IBM" and cut them off at the knees.

The "big guys" are actually very vulnerable. They don't KNOW what business they are in anymore. Lost touch with innovation as a whole. Look at the feud over "who ruined HP".. They were a GIANT without a business..

The KEY is feeding the "reactor".. Elon Musk ain't special. Jeff Bezos ain't special. They are both SUCCESSFUL and pretty smart and kudos for that. But you need to create an enviro where 10s of THOUSANDS can be like them WITHOUT the $Bills in the bank already...

Well -- we let the world produce the EASY stuff (basketballs, shoes, toasters, TVs, dildos) and to SURVIVE as a nation now -- we must step up to being explorers, innovators, and inventors. Actually a matter of national survival at this point. And I don't mind general funding to encourage and promote those activities.

You are innovators and inventors. And the govt has always funded it.

Nothye havent.

You've obviously never heard of this little agency called NASA...

Thats our muslim outreach agency.

That wasn't the case just 20 years ago. Because the RATE of innovation feeds the system. When you had "critical mass" like in Silicon Valley, anything was fair game.. And if the "big guys" weren't interested, you'd still find people that could chart a 10 year path to "sneek up IBM" and cut them off at the knees.

The "big guys" are actually very vulnerable. They don't KNOW what business they are in anymore. Lost touch with innovation as a whole. Look at the feud over "who ruined HP".. They were a GIANT without a business..

The KEY is feeding the "reactor".. Elon Musk ain't special. Jeff Bezos ain't special. They are both SUCCESSFUL and pretty smart and kudos for that. But you need to create an enviro where 10s of THOUSANDS can be like them WITHOUT the $Bills in the bank already...
It's been the case for as long as I can remember. Big science requires big bucks and most companies couldn't afford it in the first place and the ones who possibly could don't want to engage in long term, open ended R&D. The examples you mentioned were developed in garages. That ain't gonna happen with the Human Genome Project, the internet, nanotechnology or advanced energy sources.

Every body wants a government here, not Somalia. Conservatives just dont want runaway out of control spending without accountability, and that is pretty hard these days to get from both sides of the Political isle, but why not try?
When you hear democrats complaining about republicans making cuts in funding, often times its not a cut at all. the budget may remain the same or actually increase but because it doesn't meet the projected increase , they call it a CUT . and often times they do this in order to say, see "Republicans hate education" check out the link below, for reference.

Baseline Budgeting | Citizens Against Government Waste

The other thing is the way this big government of ours dishes out money, it makes it nearly impossible for anyone to save money. Example. when I worked for a public transportation company as a bus mechanic, they received funding from the state and then also a percentage from the federal government. As everyone knows, the way it is designed, when you get money from the government, you have to spend it all whether you need to spend it or not.or else you dont get the funding for next year if you do happen to need it.
This company i worked for spent money on all kinds of things they didn't even need. They even bought lathes and a milling machine for a "machining department" even though we did not have a machinist. The stuff sat there collecting dust until the day I left.

The problem with big government is its INFLEXIBILITY. this is what drives conservatives mad when they see the waste. Liberal academia types dont really see this because they spend their lives in a different world and want to call the rest of us fly over country.

That little example I gave is just one Very Small example to what goes on every day and that doesnt even include the corruption part. The problem when government gets to big is they open duplicitous departments and programs as well, often times people sit around doing nothing or very little but they still get benefits, retirement etc. who pays for it all, the private sector pays for it.

The solution would be to cut a lot of these things out completely, then if the services are really needed, lets devise a new way of accounting where there is more accountability, and build it back slowly.

You lost me at "collective" you little communist fuck.

I wonder if the Ukrainians under stalin agreed with you, or the Cambodians under the KR. Or Jews in nazi Germany.

The best government is self government.

The next best is one based on just and holy principles like our republic when we follow the constitution

I'm Belgian, married to an American, I'll tell you how it is organised here. My countryman and me feel that people have some basic rights. Health, education, a decent roof over your head and food in your mouth. Although there are of course always some people who fall through the cracks here, in general the society provides those things. If you want more, (luxuries), you will have to work for it. I've noticed that among most Republicans, a person has rights to nothing he is unwilling or unable to provide for himself. Self-reliance to a fault. Now although I understand the sentiment, I disagree with it. We both live in wealthy societies whose wealth allows us to give without having to miss out for yourself to much. Seems a Christian way of thinking to me, since a lot of those same Republican claim to be people of deep faith , that shouldn't be hard to agree with.

Here's the thing about the RW's perspective on government: liberals don't say "more government, the better!" Obviously that's wrong when we look at Totalitarian regimes from history like Hitler or Stalin.

The Democratic Party would elect Stalin in a heartbeat if you could

you have that butt backward..... as the installation of a russian puppet as president proves.

people who hate government and have no respect for what it can do....and only use it for their own benefit.... shouldn't be allowed to run government.

but i do love how you whine about gubmint when it's your loons who want to interfere with people's most personal beliefs and choices.

but it's not like the right is rational.

What personal beliefs and choices do I want to interfere with, Jillian?

You lost me at "collective" you little communist fuck.
You don't even understand the actual ideology.

Especially the ones having their jobs eliminated, as Trump kills openings and raises, for fed employees NOT in law enforcement-)

Just wait till he is a lame duck after 2020, lololol. The government might shrink by 20%!

Forum List

Back