Grand jury indicts Daniel Penny in chokehold death of Jordan Neely

Its not questionable that someone died..or was killed, but some here are saying the motive is not even questionable... Do they really know that Penny put the guy in a choke hold with the intent of killing him? They are calling him a murderer without a trial... yet many of the eye witnesses on the scene are lauding the guy and NOT calling him a murderer.
The trial is going to be about motive more than anything else, so yes it IS questionable!
Manslaughter or negligent homicide does not require motive.

I suspected this would end up being the case. I'm not happy with this because at the end of the day Penny is as much a victim as Neely. It's the system that failed everyone here. Neither man should have ever ended up in their respective positions, but we have a virtually non-existent mental health system and a justice system that refuses to dispense justice.

Grand jury just basically considers if there's enough evidence to take it to trial. I personally think he's guilty according to the letter of the law, but it's probably 50/50 as to whether 12 jurors would see it that way.

I am liberal-minded but I agree with you on this one.

Sorry, I know it's not all liberals who have that mindset, but there is a stereotype for a reason. Theres a good amount of them, who wish it to be a fair and perfect world without considering
the things that happen when your up close in a stressful situation and how quickly things can turn from threat to imminant danger. Plus the context here is that we have seen recently so many acts of violence in subways and public places... where sometimes people just want to stand around and take video instead of getting involved. This guy had been convicted before of attacks on the subway.... so chances are... Penny read the man correctly for what he was about to do.
These are the things unfortunantly that you can never prove in court.

Its not questionable that someone died..or was killed, but some here are saying the motive is not even questionable... Do they really know that Penny put the guy in a choke hold with the intent of killing him? They are calling him a murderer without a trial... yet many of the eye witnesses on the scene are lauding the guy and NOT calling him a murderer.
The trial is going to be about motive more than anything else, so yes it IS questionable!
So, he just could not have placed the person in a restrictive hold with other people's help?

When did he feel the life going out of the person?

So, he just could not have placed the person in a restrictive hold with other people's help?

When did he feel the life going out of the person?

Those questions are why we have a trial before we come to a decision.
there are witness who were there that know more than YOU and ME... would you not agree?
and they need to be heard from in court. I can live with whatever decision they come up with,
how about you? can you?

Not germane to the murder.
And you know this ?
How ?

Murder ? If that's really what you care about what about all the other murders that are going to happen because no one's going to stand up and protect people anymore?

Careful what you wish for frog breath

And you know this ?
How ?

Murder ? If that's really what you care about what about all the other murders that are going to happen because no one's going to stand up and protect people anymore?

Careful what you wish for frog breath
That is not very coherent, the other mike. The vigilante made a choice to put a choke hold on a person who made no threat to harm anyone.

But Taz--- I thought the whole point to BLM in 2020 was to massively increase healthcare to get crazies off the street and replace police with counselors and therapists instead???
What is the FIRST thing rightists cut? Mental health! We, as a nation, fail miserably in this area. WHO determines funding? Not BLM.

And there is a good point to these ideas. Police are often poorly equips to handle a situation involving a mental health crisis. And they shouldn’t have to, it really isn’t their job. Teaming up with professionals in that area might reduce the number of deaths. How many police shootings have involved a mentally ill person?

I won’t call it totally a mistake, but one of our largest examples of both incompetence and greed was the massive deinstitutionalization of the mentally. It was clearly needed for many but it was done without an adequate support network in place and the promised services often failed to materialize or were woefully inadequate. The money saved from closing down these institutions was diverted elsewhere.

I feel bad for Penny. It is hard for many to gauge the level of a threat in these cases. He overreacted. The man died. But the situation shouldn’t have had to happen.

The nutjob who should have been cared for by his family for decades, or the system, and not threatening people in a sealed metal box.

Most F trains has closed end doors, no way out until you get to a station.
I agree.

I suspected this would end up being the case. I'm not happy with this because at the end of the day Penny is as much a victim as Neely. It's the system that failed everyone here. Neither man should have ever ended up in their respective positions, but we have a virtually non-existent mental health system and a justice system that refuses to dispense justice.

Yet everyone else on the subway was able to withstand the urge to murder someone.

No, I don't live anywhere close to a subway. Snap out of it. He killed a guy unprovoked. And you suck. How you like them apples?
It was not unprovoked. Perhaps he should have used a different restraint method?
Or simply shielded patrons from abuse. Unprovoked?? No.

exactly. this probably wasnt the first time he acted up on a train. He never should have been on it in his condition. It was only amatter of time before we had another story of an elderly asian woman shoved off a train platform.
Liberals dont want us to have police presence and they also dont want us to defend ourselves

Bingo.

Neely, who was homeless at the time of his death, had a documented mental health history, according to police sources. Neely had been previously arrested for several incidents on the subway, though it's unclear how many, if any, led to convictions.

Forum List

Back