Great day in the mornin'! Ryan's back!

Almost Classical: The 90% Tax Rate Myth

there you go TM, it can't be made anymore simple.

So, let's get more complicated. When there was a 94% top rate in 1944-45, there were so many deductions and exclusions that the taxable income was not comparable to someone's entire income. First, the top rate started at $200,000, which today is equal to $2,413,059.90 — so the maximum EMTR would apply only to incomes of $2.5 million. But, that's still taxable income, not earned income.

In 1944, you could deduct business meals, all business travel, all forms of interest payments, and much more. You could even deduct spousal travel expenses on a business trip! (Why travel alone?) Companies could also "loan" or "provide" almost anything to an employee, from an apartment to standard benefits. It was possible to shelter tens of thousands of dollars from taxable income. Three-martini lunches and expense accounts were important realities, skewing tax calculations.

Hmmm.... kinda what I was telling the bitch all along... the FACTS she seems to conveniently IGNORE

I swear, I would pay to watch TDM kill herself

You speak as if there were more tax expenditures in 1944 than there are today.

I doubt that very much.

We have been averaging at least one tax expenditure a day being added to the tax code for the past ten years. The tax code is now over 17 thousand pages, and tax expenditures add up to over a trillion dollars a year.

Ryan's own budget has these same cuts to Medicare. How dishonest can you get?

Paul Ryan Bashes Medicare Cuts In His Own Budget - YouTube

Yeah....I'd say Paulie's pretty-much outta ammo.

images

True, but it seems more about simply balancing a budget via eliminating middle class entitlements to cut taxes on the wealthy.

The question is whether any of these clowns (not poster but pols) interested in actually tackling the debt.

Last edited:
Almost Classical: The 90% Tax Rate Myth

there you go TM, it can't be made anymore simple.

So, let's get more complicated. When there was a 94% top rate in 1944-45, there were so many deductions and exclusions that the taxable income was not comparable to someone's entire income. First, the top rate started at $200,000, which today is equal to $2,413,059.90 — so the maximum EMTR would apply only to incomes of $2.5 million. But, that's still taxable income, not earned income.

In 1944, you could deduct business meals, all business travel, all forms of interest payments, and much more. You could even deduct spousal travel expenses on a business trip! (Why travel alone?) Companies could also "loan" or "provide" almost anything to an employee, from an apartment to standard benefits. It was possible to shelter tens of thousands of dollars from taxable income. Three-martini lunches and expense accounts were important realities, skewing tax calculations.

Hmmm.... kinda what I was telling the bitch all along... the FACTS she seems to conveniently IGNORE

I swear, I would pay to watch TDM kill herself

You speak as if there were more tax expenditures in 1944 than there are today.

I doubt that very much.

We have been averaging at least one tax expenditure a day being added to the tax code for the past ten years. The tax code is now over 17 thousand pages, and tax expenditures add up to over a trillion dollars a year.

Different levels and expenditures... My grandmother talks to me about deducting credit card interest.. the levels and types of things you could deduct then was crazy... and it too the effective rate all the way down to about what is paid now.. not this mythical 90% bullshit TDM loves to spew

Clinton had us on a decent track.

Why did the republican party distroy that?

I don't think there's popular support to bring back the Slick levels of income taxes on the middle class. It's sort of the doppleganger of there not being support to eliminate the programs themselve, which is the actual purpose of Ayn Ryan's "budget."

Last edited:
50% of the people in this country don't pay any taxes at all. They should start paying their fair share.

Americans who don't pay federal income taxes are mostly in that tax category because of Republican tax policy.

You got what you wanted, now you're crying about it. Typical rightwing crybaby.

Dear god I can't take any more stupid people talking about politics. Yes, Obama and all Dems have always pushed for and advocated higher taxes on the poor and middle class, Republicans are the reason the poor don't pay high taxes........ Gee, just yesterday "you people" (mindless hate filled progressives) were talking about how taxes on the poor and middle class are unfair due to it hurting them more. So you should love and agree with Republicans...

Then again you used to be against stimulus/bailouts.
You used to be against subsidies.
You used to be against the patriot act
You used to be against the war on terror and nation building.

Just fucking unbelievable.

Last edited:
Ryan's budget assumes federal spending grows at only a 3% rate instead of the 5% rate of Obama's ambition.

Oh.Teh.Horror - federal spending that doesn't outpace economic growth! How on earth will the federal parasites live?

50% of the people in this country don't pay any taxes at all. They should start paying their fair share.

Are these people you speak of off the grid? How do they get around, gas taxes, sales taxes, and payroll taxes?

Are these people you speak of off the grid? How do they get around, gas taxes, sales taxes, and payroll taxes?

Shhhhhh!

It was 'splaned to me just this morning that accuracy is not important.

When Obama cut the payroll tax for two years, not a peep. Not a word of praise or thanks.

When the payroll tax vacation expired, ZOMG!11! OBAMAZ RAZED TACKSESES ON 77 PERCNET OF 'MERKINS!!!

Then it is right back to "fitty pacent don't pay any taxes atall."

Math wizards, I tell ya.

Last edited:
Ryan must be doing something right. A lot of topics started about him in the past couple days. The attack brigades have been sent forth.

That's what distinguishes him from all other Republican politicians. He is not afraid of the attack brigades.

Last edited:
Ryan must be doing something right. A lot of topics started about him in the past couple days. The attack brigades have been sent forth.

That's what distinguishes him from all other Republican politicians. He is not afraid of the attack brigades.

Rand Paul must be doing something right, lots of topics started about him in the last couple days....

Rand Paul must be doing something right, lots of topics started about him in the last couple days....

Touché!! :lol:

Except all those Rand Paul topics were started by his admirers, not his detractors.

This is the only topic started by Ryan's admirers.

Clinton had us on a decent track.

Why did the republican party distroy that?

Clinton had a Republican congress writing the budget you dumb fuck, passed that Clinton and Newt raided SS to make it look like they were closing the deficit, in reality they were adding to it.

handjob.gif

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

"Not only was the entire national deficit eliminated after raising taxes on the wealthy in 1993, but the economy grew so fast for the remainder of the decade that many conservative economists thought that the Fed should raise the prime interest rate in order to slow it down."

106.gif

Run, along, Skippy....

Yeah.....crazy-people do attract attention.

Forum List

Back