Great Lakes ship collides with something below surface. Taking on water

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021

The U.S. Coast Guard reports the Michipicoten collided with something underwater on Lake Superior just before 7 a.m. Saturday and is taking on water.

The ship is approximately 35 miles southwest of Isle Royale.

The Coast Guard says a Traverse City helicopter and Bayfield boat crews are on route.

According to the USCG, the Michipicoten is carrying taconite, and none has been spilled yet. The ship reportedly has pumps on board to remove some of the water coming on.

The Edwin H. Gott is also on route to the Michipicoten.

late-night-departure-of-the-michipicoten-christine-douglas.jpg

The ship has been in service since 1952.
It's in about 500' of water.
It's carrying taconite.

I'll get this out of the way. ;)

Last edited:
Does the CG use their ships as haulers, perhaps of dangerous cargo?

I know they have many roles, but I never thought of this one before. I wonder why they are carrying taconite, something else I never heard of.

The U.S. Coast Guard reports the Michipicoten collided with something underwater on Lake Superior just before 7 a.m. Saturday and is taking on water.

The ship is approximately 35 miles southwest of Isle Royale.

The Coast Guard says a Traverse City helicopter and Bayfield boat crews are on route.

According to the USCG, the Michipicoten is carrying taconite, and none has been spilled yet. The ship reportedly has pumps on board to remove some of the water coming on.

The Edwin H. Gott is also on route to the Michipicoten.

late-night-departure-of-the-michipicoten-christine-douglas.jpg

The ship has been in service since 1952.
It's in about 500' of water.
It's carrying taconite.

I'll get this out of the way. ;)

Quick on the draw with that Edmund Fitzgerald song, you was. You got it out of the way before I did.

So this is the best I can do for now.

I know they have many roles, but I never thought of this one before. I wonder why they are carrying taconite, something else I never heard of.
They had a list of 15 degrees but have reduced it by using their ship pumps to 5 degrees.

Still no idea of what they hit.

CassList2.jpg

So the CG said they "allided" with something underwater, which I thought was some derivative of "collided", but I can't find this word online anywhere, perhaps that is Navy slang for "scraping" something.

So the CG said they "allided" with something underwater, which I thought was some derivative of "collided", but I can't find this word online anywhere, perhaps that is Navy slang for "scraping" something.
or a typo

Has this most recent US fuck-up got anything to do with a USO ?
That will send the Fatties completely round the twist if they find they are also at war with the Pleiadians .

Then we will have to watch the USS Nimitz clips a million times and discuss who is off the coast of San Fran -- Chinese or the USOs ?

They had a list of 15 degrees but have reduced it by using their ship pumps to 5 degrees.

Still no idea of what they hit.

CassList2.jpg

Wonder if it could have been a giant Dead head? one of those logs floating vertically in the water with one end sticking upwards.

That or a North Korean Sub

Taco nite isn't until Tuesday!

Seriously, it's just low grade iron ore. Not a toxic substance.

1717863303522.png

I tried 2 online dictionaries (is it "ies" or apostrophe S ;) ) and neither listed this word.
That one, was from standard DuckDuckGo search as first return, but the best dictionary source on the internet is OneLook, pretty much like searching all the largest dictionaries, at once with one entry.

Forum List

Back