CDZ Gun Control

Yes suicide is tragic, and unfortunate and as Japan and Korea and the Scandinavian countries show us someone who is intent on killing themselves will do so. All of those countries have strict gun control and much higher suicide rates than we do. It ain't the tool, it's the desire to kill oneself that determines success.
So, that's it? Forgive me, but why in the world should anyone be interested in your defeatist opinion about suicide? Suicide prevention is the province of mental health professionals. Your casual dismissal of the problem is both typical and truly shameful. The so-called "pro gun rights" crowd have obsessively blocked the study of gun violence by health care professionals. Former Rep. Jay Dickey, who wrote the 1996 amendment which prevented the CDC from researching this problem now regrets that action. The president supposedly freed them to take up this study, and they have refused to do so. Why? Because they fear the NRA. The NIH has, at least, made a very small start in conducting such research.

By no means do I casually dismiss suicide and those whom it affects. A good friend of mine took his life many years ago. He was in severe pain and swam out to sea till he could swim no longer. I am well aware of the pain that survivors experience. However, those who are serious about suicide are going to do it.

The CDC uses biased metrics in everything they do so they are not a reliable source. If they truly wanted to reduce deaths they should concentrate on their specialty which is disease. Hell doctors kill more people than guns, and by a huge margin. Why do you think malpractice insurance rates are so high? They kill (according to the AMA) 120,000 people per year through mistakes, malpractice, misdiagnosis etc. This out of a population of 800,000 doctors.

How do you know the CDC uses biased metrics? What would be their agenda in doing so?

Why Congress stopped gun control activism at the CDC

I was one of three medical doctors who testified before the House’s Labor, Health, Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee on March 6, 1996 about the CDC’s misdeeds. (Note: This testimony and related events are described in my three-part documented historical series). Here is what we showed the committee:

• Dr. Arthur Kellermann’s1993 New England Journal of Medicine article that launched his career as a rock star gun control advocate and gave rise to the much-repeated “three times” fallacy. His research was supported by two CDC grants.
Kellermann and his colleagues used the case control method, traditionally an epidemiology research tool, to claim that having a gun in the home triples the risk of becoming a homicide victim. In the article Kellermann admitted that “a majority of the homicides (50.9 percent) occurred in the context of a quarrel or a romantic triangle.” Still another 30 percent “were related to drug dealing” or “occurred during the commission of another felony, such as a robbery, rape, or burglary.”

In summary, the CDC funded a flawed study of crime-prone inner city residents who had been murdered in their homes. The authors then tried to equate this wildly unrepresentative group with typical American gun owners. The committee members were not amused.

• The Winter 1993 CDC official publication, Public Health Policy for Preventing Violence, coauthored by CDC official Dr. Mark Rosenberg. This taxpayer-funded gun control polemic offered two strategies for preventing firearm injuries—“restrictive licensing (for example, only police, military, guards, and so on)” and “prohibit gun ownership.”
  • The brazen public comments of top CDC officials, made at a time when gun prohibitionists were much more candid about their political goals.
We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths. We’re doing the most we can do, given the political realities.” (P.W. O’Carroll, Acting Section Head of Division of Injury Control, CDC, quoted in Marsha F. Goldsmith, “Epidemiologists Aim at New Target: Health Risk of Handgun Proliferation,” Journal of the American Medical Association vol. 261 no. 5, February 3, 1989, pp. 675-76.) Dr. O’Carroll later said he had been misquoted.

But his successor Dr. Mark Rosenberg was quoted in the Washington Post as wanting his agency to create a public perception of firearms as “dirty, deadly—and banned.” (William Raspberry, “Sick People With Guns,” Washington Post, October 19, 1994.

• CDC Grant #R49/CCR903697-06 to the Trauma Foundation, a San Francisco gun control advocacy group, supporting a newsletter that frankly advocated gun control.

Your source is a blog written by this man:

Timothy Wheeler, MD Articles – Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership

• A biased opinion. A blog by a doctor opposed to gun control
  • A Republican Party which controlled a majority in both chambers of Congress
  • A President under fire by The Congress and willing to compromise on everything to try to avoid impeachment
You're lying by omission. These bullet points are the facts.

So are you. You have one group that is biased in favor of gun control. You have another group that is not biased in favor of gun control. And then there is you who are heavily biased in favor of gun control. And you wonder that we choose different source material than you. Really?

But what if the "crazy idiot" is a veteran who has served their country honorably? What if their service has damaged them so badly that they raise a gun to their head and pull the trigger? Suicide is the number one cause of gun death in the US, and it is an epidemic amongst our veterans. What does the so-called gun-rights side say about that (I am completely pro-gun rights, btw, and I don't believe gun control would be an effective solution)?

Yes suicide is tragic, and unfortunate and as Japan and Korea and the Scandinavian countries show us someone who is intent on killing themselves will do so. All of those countries have strict gun control and much higher suicide rates than we do. It ain't the tool, it's the desire to kill oneself that determines success.
So, that's it? Forgive me, but why in the world should anyone be interested in your defeatist opinion about suicide? Suicide prevention is the province of mental health professionals. Your casual dismissal of the problem is both typical and truly shameful. The so-called "pro gun rights" crowd have obsessively blocked the study of gun violence by health care professionals. Former Rep. Jay Dickey, who wrote the 1996 amendment which prevented the CDC from researching this problem now regrets that action. The president supposedly freed them to take up this study, and they have refused to do so. Why? Because they fear the NRA. The NIH has, at least, made a very small start in conducting such research.

By no means do I casually dismiss suicide and those whom it affects. A good friend of mine took his life many years ago. He was in severe pain and swam out to sea till he could swim no longer. I am well aware of the pain that survivors experience. However, those who are serious about suicide are going to do it.

The CDC uses biased metrics in everything they do so they are not a reliable source. If they truly wanted to reduce deaths they should concentrate on their specialty which is disease. Hell doctors kill more people than guns, and by a huge margin. Why do you think malpractice insurance rates are so high? They kill (according to the AMA) 120,000 people per year through mistakes, malpractice, misdiagnosis etc. This out of a population of 800,000 doctors.

How do you know the CDC uses biased metrics? What would be their agenda in doing so?

The CDC is heavily anti gun so their use of biased metrics is well known. They are far, far from a legit source.

I beg your pardon, the article linked above from Guns and Ammo - a heavily pro gun magazine - is a summary, it is not the raw data with the usual and expected executive summary on demographics and other data supporting its conclusions.

Comments in the link as "unconstitutional" and "the mass media bias" is a dead giveaway.

I was one of three medical doctors who testified before the House’s Labor, Health, Human Services, and Education Appropriations Subcommittee on March 6, 1996 about the CDC’s misdeeds. (Note: This testimony and related events are described in my three-part documented historical series). Here is what we showed the committee:

• Dr. Arthur Kellermann’s1993 New England Journal of Medicine article that launched his career as a rock star gun control advocate and gave rise to the much-repeated “three times” fallacy. His research was supported by two CDC grants.
Kellermann and his colleagues used the case control method, traditionally an epidemiology research tool, to claim that having a gun in the home triples the risk of becoming a homicide victim. In the article Kellermann admitted that “a majority of the homicides (50.9 percent) occurred in the context of a quarrel or a romantic triangle.” Still another 30 percent “were related to drug dealing” or “occurred during the commission of another felony, such as a robbery, rape, or burglary.”

In summary, the CDC funded a flawed study of crime-prone inner city residents who had been murdered in their homes. The authors then tried to equate this wildly unrepresentative group with typical American gun owners. The committee members were not amused.

• The Winter 1993 CDC official publication, Public Health Policy for Preventing Violence, coauthored by CDC official Dr. Mark Rosenberg. This taxpayer-funded gun control polemic offered two strategies for preventing firearm injuries—“restrictive licensing (for example, only police, military, guards, and so on)” and “prohibit gun ownership.”
  • The brazen public comments of top CDC officials, made at a time when gun prohibitionists were much more candid about their political goals.
We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths. We’re doing the most we can do, given the political realities.” (P.W. O’Carroll, Acting Section Head of Division of Injury Control, CDC, quoted in Marsha F. Goldsmith, “Epidemiologists Aim at New Target: Health Risk of Handgun Proliferation,” Journal of the American Medical Association vol. 261 no. 5, February 3, 1989, pp. 675-76.) Dr. O’Carroll later said he had been misquoted.

But his successor Dr. Mark Rosenberg was quoted in the Washington Post as wanting his agency to create a public perception of firearms as “dirty, deadly—and banned.” (William Raspberry, “Sick People With Guns,” Washington Post, October 19, 1994.

• CDC Grant #R49/CCR903697-06 to the Trauma Foundation, a San Francisco gun control advocacy group, supporting a newsletter that frankly advocated gun control.

• A President under fire by The Congress and willing to compromise on everything to try to avoid impeachment

So are you. You have one group that is biased in favor of gun control. You have another group that is not biased in favor of gun control. And then there is you who are heavily biased in favor of gun control. And you wonder that we choose different source material than you. Really?

Quality is the issue. primary sources vis a vis op-eds.

I agree with you on that. However, anyone who go's into a study with a pre conceived idea is going to be afflicted with confirmation bias which renders their work suspect in the best case and outright crap in the worst.

I agree with you on that. However, anyone who go's into a study with a pre conceived idea is going to be afflicted with confirmation bias which renders their work suspect in the best case and outright crap in the worst.

If and only if the conclusion does not follow the evidence. Most studies test a theory - a pre conceived idea if you like - but most are peer reviewed and must follow the evidence.

If and only if the conclusion does not follow the evidence. Most studies test a theory - a pre conceived idea if you like - but most are peer reviewed and must follow the evidence.

That's certainly how science is supposed to work. However, as we have seen repeatedly, when politics gets involved science, and the scientific method, get abandoned in favor of propaganda.

"Only an idiot believes the possession of arms readily affordable and available to the current civilian population are sufficient to repeal a military or paramilitary force of our government."

You do know that's precisely what the 2nd amendment is for right? Protection against a tyrannical Government. Wether you believe it is possible or not is irrelevant history has shown that it can happen time and time again.

There are already background checks in place in every state in the Union, In each of those states there are laws in place that should stop shootings from happening so why are still occurring? Criminals do not follow the law. The gun control that some want will only make it harder for law abiding citizens to practice the Constitutional rights and when that happens that tyrannical Government you dismiss as unlikely will be here.
Yes, that was the purpose of the second amendment, and it was a wise provision in it s day. That day ended with the establishment of a standing army at the start of the Twentieth Century. Anyone who thinks that the same purpose is being served today is delusional. Anyone who thinks that laws (and that is all the constitution is, laws) will remain viable throughout all of history is ignorant of what law and government is. The same people who made the constitution made it amendable. It's up to us, the people who are alive, to determine whether any law on the books is still viable. All of this, of course, is completely irrelevant to the subject of this thread, which is how to reduce gun violence.
The Constitution is not a set of laws. They are rights laws are written to uphold those rights not to take them away. .Even though the 2nd Amendment was for protection against a tyrannical Government the framers also had self-defence in mind, as well as later writings by them, show this. The Constitution is amendable but you still can not take a fundamental right away or weaken it.

He testified before congress.....just as valid as the anit gunners at the CDC......

And more on why the CDC was practising advocacy and not research...the article looks at the bias in depth....

Public Health Pot Shots

Contrary to this picture of dispassionate scientists under assault by the Neanderthal NRA and its know-nothing allies in Congress, serious scholars have been criticizing the CDC's "public health" approach to gun research for years. In a presentation at the American Society of Criminology's 1994 meeting, for example, University of Illinois sociologist David Bordua and epidemiologist David Cowan called the public health literature on guns "advocacy based on political beliefs rather than scientific fact."

Bordua and Cowan noted that The New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association, the main outlets for CDC-funded studies of firearms, are consistent supporters of strict gun control.

They found that "reports with findings not supporting the position of the journal are rarely cited," "little is cited from the criminological or sociological field," and the articles that are cited "are almost always by medical or public health researchers."

Further, Bordua and Cowan said, "assumptions are presented as fact: that there is a causal association between gun ownership and the risk of violence, that this association is consistent across all demographic categories, and that additional legislation will reduce the prevalence of firearms and consequently reduce the incidence of violence."

They concluded that "ncestuous and selective literature citations may be acceptable for political tracts, but they introduce an artificial bias into scientific publications. Stating as fact associations which may be demonstrably false is not just unscientific, it is unprincipled." In a 1994 presentation to the Western Economics Association, State University of New York at Buffalo criminologist Lawrence Southwick compared public health firearm studies to popular articles produced by the gun lobby: "Generally the level of analysis done on each side is of a low quality. The papers published in the medical literature (which are uniformly anti-gun) are particularly poor science."

As Bordua, Cowan, and Southwick observed, a prejudice against gun ownership pervades the public health field. Deborah Prothrow-Stith, dean of the Harvard School of Public Health, nicely summarizes the typical attitude of her colleagues in a recent book.

"My own view on gun control is simple," she writes. "I hate guns and cannot imagine why anybody would want to own one. If I had my way, guns for sport would be registered, and all other guns would be banned." Opposition to gun ownership is also the official position of the U.S. Public Health Service, the CDC's parent agency. Since 1979, its goal has been "to reduce the number of handguns in private ownership," starting with a 25 percent reduction by the turn of the century.

Since 1985 the CDC has funded scores of firearm studies, all reaching conclusions that favor stricter gun control. But CDC officials insist they are not pursuing an anti-gun agenda. In a 1996 interview with the Times-Picayune, CDC spokeswoman Mary Fenley adamantly denied that the agency is "trying to eliminate guns." In a 1991 letter to CDC critic Dr. David Stolinsky, the NCIPC's Mark Rosenberg said "our scientific understanding of the role that firearms play in violent events is rudimentary." He added in a subsequent letter, "There is a strong need for further scientific investigations of the relationships among firearms ownership, firearms regulations and the risk of firearm-related injury. This is an area that has not been given adequate scrutiny. Hopefully, by addressing these important and appropriate scientific issues we will eventually arrive at conclusions which support effective, preventive actions."

Yet four years earlier, in a 1987 CDC report, Rosenberg thought the area adequately scrutinized, and his understanding sufficient, to urge confiscation of all firearms from "the general population," claiming "8,600 homicides and 5,370 suicides could be avoided" each year. In 1993 Rolling Stone reported that Rosenberg "envisions a long term campaign, similar to [those concerning] tobacco use and auto safety, to convince Americans that guns are, first and foremost, a public health menace." In 1994 he told The Washington Post, "We need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes. Now it [sic] is dirty, deadly, and banned."

1. There are already laws against the civilian population owning or having in their possession weapons of war unrestricted by law and or regulated.

Thus the Second Amendment is NOT sacrosanct as so many believe.

The problem with this is, the reason laws that restrict the civilian possession and use of weapons of war are legitimate is because of the principle of conferred powers. "We the People" conferred the power to make war and provide for an army or navy (and thus acquire, possess and use the weapons of war) to Congress --for as long as the Constitution is in force. Whatever "We the People" have conferred (surrendered) we can not claim any right to. This is the doctrine of supremacy and preemption. The corollary to that is of course, whatever interest "We the People" did not confer, we retain as a right and the government can not claim any power over it.

Secondly, the right to arms is not granted, given, created or otherwise established by the 2nd Amendment thus the right to arms is not in any manner dependent upon the Constitution for its existence. SCOTUS has been boringly consistent re-re-re-affirming this principle for the right to arms / 2nd Amendment for going on 140 years. So, gun rights people going on about their "2nd Amendment right" and gun control people arguing that the 2nd is not absolute or that it isn't "sacrosanct" are both wrong.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't do anything but redundantly forbid the federal government to exercise powers it was never granted.

2. Only an idiot believes the possession of arms readily affordable and available to the current civilian population are sufficient to repeal a military or para military force of our government.

The framers discussed this and the superiority that the civilians have over the military was never believed to be tactical, it was always shear numbers. In1788 Madison wrote in Federalist 46 that the largest standing army the nation could support would amount to no more than 1% of the total number of souls -- then that was about 25K-30K men. . . In opposition would be a militia of armed citizens numbering 500K with arms in their hands (armed citizens outnumbering a standing army 17 to 1) .

Today the ratios have widened only to benefit the citizenry; 318 million total souls, an active and reserve national standing army of 2.8 million opposed by 80 million citizens with arms in their hands (armed citizens outnumbering a standing army 28 to 1).

To your point, just for a point of reference in modern times, estimates of the number of Iraqi insurgents in 2006 ranged between 8000-20,000 (US) up to 40,000 (Iraqi intelligence). With 160,000 troops in country, US armed forces enjoyed at worst a 4 to 1 advantage and at best a 20 to 1 advantage. And in the opinion of many we were in a quagmire, losing and losing bad.

Imagine if there were 4 million insurgents and many of them were completely familiar and competent with American military weapon platforms and endeavored to seize and offensively use those weapons instead of just blowing themselves up?

It isn't as cut a dry as you think.

3. I support a licensed person who can pass a background check and thereafter remains legally able to be a responsible gun owner has the right to own, possess and have in their custody and control a gun.

While yet to be tested specifically for the RKBA, SCOTUS has had a dim view of government requiring a license for a citizen to exercise a constitutional right; I would think that the bar would even be higher for government to license a right considered to be fundamental - see Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 U.S. 105 (1943).

4. Responsible people understand that not everyone should own, possess or ever have a gun in their custody or control.

Is there any gun rights opposition to the criteria for disabling the right to arms set-out in 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1-9)?

Those criteria prohibit certain individuals from possessing firearms, ammunition, or explosives. The penalty for violating any provision is ten years imprisonment and/or a $250,000 fine.

Further, 18 U.S.C. 3565(b)(2) (probation) and 3583(g)(2) (supervised release) makes it mandatory for the Court to revoke supervision for possession of a firearm.

Specifically, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1-9) prohibits the following from possessing, shipping/transporting, or receiving any firearm or ammunition:

(1) a person convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
(2) a person who is a fugitive from justice;
(3) a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance;
(4) a person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution;
(5) an alien who is unlawfully in the United States or who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
(6) a person who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
(7) a person who, having been a citizen of the United States, renounces his citizenship;
(8) a person subject to a court order that was issued after a hearing in which the person participated, which order restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or partner’s child, and which order includes a finding that the person is a credible threat to such partner or partner’s child, or by its terms prohibits the use, attempted use or threatened use of such force against such partner or partner’s child;
(9) a person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

Just for the sake of argument, here is the FBI page that shows how many people that meet the above criteria are included in the National Instant Check System (NICS) database (3.5kb PDF). Anything jump out at you?

You don't know what will or won't work to mitigate gun violence. I will admit gun control is not a panacea for violence in America but doing nothing, trying nothing is foolish, selfish and can not stand.

Of course we know what works. Removing violent criminals from society is the most effective way of reducing criminal activity. The hug-a-thug liberal criminal justice system considers its clearance rate to be more important that justice or the safety of society is the problem. Programs that allow felony gun charges to be plead down or any of the suspended imposition of sentence or accelerated disposition for gun crimes which include expungement of the arrest with no conviction, just emboldens armed criminal activity.

Rational people with normal amounts of empathy are fed up with daily reports of murder, suicide and accidental deaths by gun.

Rational people are driven by emotional response??? That's irrational!

The more the NRA and it followers continue to roadblock efforts to reduce gun violence the more likely more restrictive laws will be promulgated.

That's a main part of the problem, liberals are more concerned with poking a stick in the eye of the NRA and gun owners than they are actually enacting legislation that will impact violent crime.

You are not giving up any Right, you may be inconvenienced by the suggestions I've made over the past months.

A right is surrendered whenever the citizenry allow government to exercise powers it was never granted. The question is not, do the people have the right, or what is the right, or what does the right protect . . . The question is, is their a legitimate power to be cited that allows government to do what you want it to do?

The only ones' who will have gun restrictions are those have been convicted of a violent act, placed by civil order in a facility as a danger to them self or others, are on parole or probation or have a documented alcohol or drug addiction. All responsible gun owners support a means to keep gun out of their hands - why don't you?

You already have those restrictions and more at your disposal.

If over 500,000 qualifying restraining orders / protection from abuse orders are issued annually, why are there only 60K in the background check database? So much for the desire to protect women and children most at risk. Not only are we not taking guns away from those who shouldn't have them, many aren't even included in the database for bar them from buying a gun.

That the NICS database is such a joke just exposes how fantastical any scheme of legal gun owner and gun registration / licensing is . . . The government can't maintain a database of known prohibited persons who have had multiple contacts with the justice system but they will be able to maintain a database of 80 million law-abiding citizens and their 400 million guns (with 1.5 million new ones acquired each month). How many people will be needed to build and maintain that database, that sure would be a helluva shopping list for a hacker (or more likely, an employee with nefarious intent).

Q. Why do you object to being licensed to own, possess or have a gun in your custody or control?]

I wonder if anyone asked the majority of the 39th Congress that question?

A big reason why we have the 14th Amendment were laws that said:

Section 1. Be it enacted, ... [t]hat no freedman, free negro or mulatto, not in the military service of the United States [G]overnment, and not licensed so to do by the board of police of his or her county, shall keep or carry fire-arms of any kind, or any ammunition, dirk or bowie-knife,. . . -- 1865 Miss. Laws 165 (Nov. 29, 1865).

The "equal rights" argument was that such a requirement (that was not enforced against Whites) was a violation of rights of Freemen (former slaves, then citizens) which was why the 2nd Amendment needed to be enforced against state action.

So it's your opinion that as long as such a license to own a gun was mandated for everybody (equal restriction) it would pass constitutional muster?

Here is the problem that liberals never ever think about:

Some crazy idiot kills a bunch of people with a gun.

Ignorant but well meaning people allow politicians to restrict gun rights.

But gun control does not work so.....

Eventually, there are no more gun rights and still some crazy idiot kills a bunch of people with a gun.
I'm so tired of people saying something won't work so let's do nothing. Eventually, gun control will work. I've mentioned smart guns which can't be used by anyone but the programmed owner, and I hear the howls, "They won't work!" Rights! Restrictions! Regulations! So let's do nothing and eventually ,again, we won't be able to go to theaters, churches, malls, schools, public events without risking our lives. Lets. Do. Nothing.

And don't forget, Use a gun, go to prison legislation, and the enhancement when a gun is present in any crime, adding years to a sentence.

Sounds great!

The following is how your idea translates to the real world in a US city plagued by gun violence.

St. Louis Police Chief Dan Isom:

"One thing we have to be aware of to give context to this whole problem is that we are looking at an urban problem. It’s much less a suburban or rural problem. It really affects young minorities— Hispanic and black males. I think that the suspects devalue life, the victims devalue life, and the system also devalues life. When you look at the shooting victims and suspects in these neighborhoods, you see 20 or 30 felony arrests, with eight convictions.

Often the convictions don’t result in any jail time at all; they’re getting probation on top of probation. This has caused a lot of us in cities to move toward federal prosecution, because we know on the state level it’s a hit-and-miss prospect: they’re arrested, they’re convicted, and they come out multiple times.

In Missouri, there’s a type of probation people can receive, and it has made it very difficult for us to establish a person as a convicted felon. I’ve heard other chiefs talking about the fact that a weapons charge in their state is only a misdemeanor offense. But in St. Louis, a weapons violation can turn out to be no offense at all. An individual will get arrested for a weapons charge, which is a felony, and often they plead to that case and get an SIS—a suspended imposition of sentence. It means that if you serve out your probation, which everybody does, that conviction is erased.

So if you’re arrested again with another weapon, you don’t have a conviction on your record, so you’re not a felon in possession of a weapon. If you continue to get multiple SISs, you never become a convicted felon. These offenders will often show up for other crimes, and if they never have a conviction, then you’re never able to put stiffer charges on them."

So, how does your idea square with the reality of the liberal revolving door justice system?

Here is the problem that liberals never ever think about:

Eventually, there are no more gun rights and still some crazy idiot kills a bunch of people with a gun.
I'm so tired of people saying something won't work so let's do nothing. Eventually, gun control will work. I've mentioned smart guns which can't be used by anyone but the programmed owner, and I hear the howls, "They won't work!" Rights! Restrictions! Regulations! So let's do nothing and eventually ,again, we won't be able to go to theaters, churches, malls, schools, public events without risking our lives. Lets. Do. Nothing.

No one is saying that at all. Did you even read my post? CAN you read?

Try again.

And don't forget, Use a gun, go to prison legislation, and the enhancement when a gun is present in any crime, adding years to a sentence.

Sounds great!

The following is how your idea translates to the real world in a US city plagued by gun violence.

"One thing we have to be aware of to give context to this whole problem is that we are looking at an urban problem. It’s much less a suburban or rural problem. It really affects young minorities— Hispanic and black males. I think that the suspects devalue life, the victims devalue life, and the system also devalues life. When you look at the shooting victims and suspects in these neighborhoods, you see 20 or 30 felony arrests, with eight convictions.

Often the convictions don’t result in any jail time at all; they’re getting probation on top of probation. This has caused a lot of us in cities to move toward federal prosecution, because we know on the state level it’s a hit-and-miss prospect: they’re arrested, they’re convicted, and they come out multiple times.

In Missouri, there’s a type of probation people can receive, and it has made it very difficult for us to establish a person as a convicted felon. I’ve heard other chiefs talking about the fact that a weapons charge in their state is only a misdemeanor offense. But in St. Louis, a weapons violation can turn out to be no offense at all. An individual will get arrested for a weapons charge, which is a felony, and often they plead to that case and get an SIS—a suspended imposition of sentence. It means that if you serve out your probation, which everybody does, that conviction is erased.

So if you’re arrested again with another weapon, you don’t have a conviction on your record, so you’re not a felon in possession of a weapon. If you continue to get multiple SISs, you never become a convicted felon. These offenders will often show up for other crimes, and if they never have a conviction, then you’re never able to put stiffer charges on them."

So, how does your idea square with the reality of the liberal revolving door justice system?

It is interesting that in these cities with the most gun crime, and the most gun control, where the anti gun mayors in these cities complain the loudest about gun murder, they don't prosecute gun crime.

Just a few weeks ago former Police Commissioner Gary McCarthy here in Chicago talked about the inability to put gun criminals in jail for long periods. He talked about how often criminals with guns were caught, and then back out on the street....

If one were suspicious...one would think that they were letting known violent gun criminals back on the streets to commit more gun crimes.......

Q. Why do you object to being licensed to own, possess or have a gun in your custody or control?]

Section 1. Be it enacted, ... [t]hat no freedman, free negro or mulatto, not in the military service of the United States [G]overnment, and not licensed so to do by the board of police of his or her county, shall keep or carry fire-arms of any kind, or any ammunition, dirk or bowie-knife,. . . -- 1865 Miss. Laws 165 (Nov. 29, 1865).

The "equal rights" argument was that such a requirement (that was not enforced against Whites) was a violation of rights of Freemen (former slaves, then citizens) which was why the 2nd Amendment needed to be enforced against state action.

So it's your opinion that as long as such a license to own a gun was mandated for everybody (equal restriction) it would pass constitutional muster?

Yes, for everybody who wanted to own, possess or have in his or her custody or control.

Everyone could apply for a license, but some restrictions would need to be applied based on issues NOT related to a protected class, and of course would not adversely impact white males.

If one were suspicious...one would think that they were letting known violent gun criminals back on the streets to commit more gun crimes.......

It does give one pause.

The only excuse that doesn't constitute misconduct, is that they are stuck in a system that doesn't work and they just want to pad their clearance rates to give the illusion of effectiveness.
Their function then is just to funnel criminals through a system that never punishes and does not keep society safe.

It is unconscionable that their "product" is released to commit gun crime with impunity, is held up as evidence that more laws are needed to restrict basic gun ownership -which is in and of itself not criminal - with the only people impacted by those laws being those people least likely to break any laws.

It really does boggle the mind when the utter failure of liberals to do the job can be used by other liberals to argue that I need to give up more of my rights.

Yes, for everybody who wanted to own, possess or have in his or her custody or control.

Everyone could apply for a license, but some restrictions would need to be applied based on issues NOT related to a protected class, and of course would not adversely impact white males.

So just what entity do you see being so equitable and fair that they can be entrusted with such discretion, meting out a fundamental right to the people . . . Local police?

Sounds great!

First, that's not how it works in CA. A person convicted of a felony, vis a vis what we call a wobbler, can never have the Felony removed from CII* (CA Rap Sheet) which also includes the dates of arrest and conviction plus the charge at detention and final disposition and sentence.

* Rap Sheets in California

A person convicted of a wobbler (a crime which may be filed as a felony or a misdemeanor) can have the Felony Charge reduced (via 17 PC) by the court if he or she has successfully completed probation. However, the rap sheet remains unaltered and a prison committment will remain a felony unless the person can obtain a rare Governors Pardon or Certificate of Rehabilitation (also rare).

Also, in CA, a Pre Sentence Report submitted by the Dept. of Probation will list all prior offenses as well as a social study, victim statements and a sentencing recommendation, which then is submitted to the attention of the judge at the time sentence is pronounced.

Forum List

Back