Guns Are Saving Lives

Guns in homes can increase risk of death and firearm-related violence

Having a gun at home not only increases the risk of harm to one's self and family, but also carries high costs to society, concludes an article in the February Southern Medical Journal, official journal of the Southern Medical Association. The journal is published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, a part of Wolters Kluwer Health, a leading provider of information and business intelligence for students, professionals, and institutions in medicine, nursing, allied health, and pharmacy.

"Firearm-related violence vastly increases expenditures for health care, services for the disabled, insurance, and our criminal justice system," writes Dr. Steven Lippmann of University of Louisville School of Medicine, and colleagues. "The bills are paid by taxpayers and those who buy insurance."

Guns at Home Increase Dangers, Not Safety
Based on a review of the available scientific data, Dr. Lippmann and co-authors conclude that the dangers of having a gun at home far outweigh the safety benefits. Research shows that access to guns greatly increases the risk of death and firearm-related violence. A gun in the home is twelve times more likely to result in the death of a household member or visitor than an intruder.

I doubt the Dr or you belong to the NRA. If you did, you would know better. You numbers are just plain wrong! What they do not say is important. Guns, properly used, save lives!

Possibly, but it's undeniable that guns, properly used, also endanger and take lives.

The question is the balance of those two. And the values that underlie them. Our values, unfortunately (IMO) seem to be that we're obsessed with killing. Whether the killing is of the "us" or the "them" is irrelevant to this point: we're obsessed with death.

And that's kind of weird.

There's no doubt that legally owned guns prevent and save far, far more lives than the comparative few accidental deaths or careless deaths. Join the NRA and learn the facts.

I doubt the Dr or you belong to the NRA. If you did, you would know better. You numbers are just plain wrong! What they do not say is important. Guns, properly used, save lives!

Possibly, but it's undeniable that guns, properly used, also endanger and take lives.

The question is the balance of those two. And the values that underlie them. Our values, unfortunately (IMO) seem to be that we're obsessed with killing. Whether the killing is of the "us" or the "them" is irrelevant to this point: we're obsessed with death.

There's no doubt that legally owned guns prevent and save far, far more lives than the comparative few accidental deaths or careless deaths. Join the NRA and learn the facts.

Well you didn't even scratch the surface of my point, but yes, there is doubt. Plenty of it. And I don't see joining an advocacy group as a step in learning facts. About anything.

Having a gun at home not only increases the risk of harm to one's self and family, but also carries high costs to society, concludes an article in the February Southern Medical Journal, official journal of the Southern Medical Association. The journal is published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, a part of Wolters Kluwer Health, a leading provider of information and business intelligence for students, professionals, and institutions in medicine, nursing, allied health, and pharmacy.

"Firearm-related violence vastly increases expenditures for health care, services for the disabled, insurance, and our criminal justice system," writes Dr. Steven Lippmann of University of Louisville School of Medicine, and colleagues. "The bills are paid by taxpayers and those who buy insurance."

Based on a review of the available scientific data, Dr. Lippmann and co-authors conclude that the dangers of having a gun at home far outweigh the safety benefits. Research shows that access to guns greatly increases the risk of death and firearm-related violence. A gun in the home is twelve times more likely to result in the death of a household member or visitor than an intruder.

you mean like the person who finally took down Aaron Alexis, the crazy man who murdered 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard, you are saying he should not have killed the killer ??

Evidently, that is true.

I'm not in favor of banning guns but I'm certainly in favor of learning why certain people need or want guns.

The rw's ain't gonna like this but we should start with George Zimmerman. Will anyone be surprised if/when he finally loses it and starts mowing people down? Just like this shooter, he has a history of violence and shooting .........................

i consider myself a "certain" person, if i wrote a 5 page dissertation of why i need or want a gun or GUNS, you wouldn't understand it any way, due to the fact you already have a gun hating mindset.., personally i would like to know why you hate guns and law abiding folks who own them. :up:

you mean like the person who finally took down Aaron Alexis, the crazy man who murdered 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard, you are saying he should not have killed the killer ??

Umm....... nnnnno. Not even remotely close.

Do you ever get nostalgic for the old home town -- you know, the broken test tube on the lab floor?

If a gun is properly used, it can save a life and defend one. Only those idiots out in the streets killing each other with illegally obtained guns are the ones improperly using them. Naturally, guns are used as deterrents because of that element of death involved.

Umm....... nnnnno. Not even remotely close.

Do you ever get nostalgic for the old home town -- you know, the broken test tube on the lab floor?

Don't you ever get tired of being a jackass, Pogo? You lost the argument and you basically hit him with a low blow.

I can end this debate with one simple question.

You are at the Navy Yard.

Aaron Alexis storms in with a legally purchased, background checked, 5 round pump action 12 gauge shotgun.

Would you rather be completely helpless waiting for the police, or have a gun to defend yourself?

If you say "be helpless" you are a liar of the highest magnitude.

I can end this debate with one simple question.

You are at the Navy Yard.

Aaron Alexis storms in with a legally purchased, background checked, 5 round pump action 12 gauge shotgun.

Would you rather be completely helpless waiting for the police, or have a gun to defend yourself?

If you say "be helpless" you are a liar of the highest magnitude.

I'd be looking for a good sniping position. ;)

And, how come the armed guards are never able to stop these shooters?

In spite of that fact, nutters still want more guns in schools, churches, businesses - They won't stop until there is an armed guard in front of every single door in the country.

What an idiotic way to live.

how come the armed guards are never able to stop these shooters?

never where you get that crazy talk from

2 days after sandy hook

Lisa Castellano a movie theater security armed guard

stopped a mass shooting

-------------------

On Sunday, December 16, 2012, off-duty sheriff's deputy, Lisa Castellano, shot and wounded a gunman after he opened fire in a restaurant and movie theater in San Antonio, Texas. According to a report by the San Antonio Express News, Jesus Manuel Garcia shot and injured two people at the Santikos Mayan Palace 14 Theater.

The shooting began at the China Garden restaurant, where Garica was employed, and carried over into the theater. Garcia was apparently upset after his girlfriend had broken up with him that night.

Bexar County sheriff’s deputy Lisa Castellano was working at the movie theater as a security guard. Castellano chased Garcia into the men’s restroom, shooting him several times, and confiscating his gun.

Another off-duty officer, Armando Olguin, of the San Antonio Independent School District, then helped Castellano to handcuff the suspect.

Both Castellano and Olguin are being praised for their bravery and swift efforts in stopping the gunman.

Off-duty Texas deputy stops theater shooting - Little Rock gun rights | Examiner.com

2 days after sandy hook

Lisa Castellano a movie theater security armed guard

stopped a mass shooting
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-qlqlVK_4]Woman stops theater massacre 2 days after Sandy Hook!! - YouTube[/ame]

Really? A mass shooting a few days ago, another mass shooting today at a basketball court in Chicago.

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Without good people with guns, a mass gunman would never be stopped.

Stop with that bullshit. You act like someone with a gun would play hero and that hardly ever happens.

I think it actually does happen in the video games some of these wazoos live in... that's why it's important to draw a line between fantasy and reality.

Really? A mass shooting a few days ago, another mass shooting today at a basketball court in Chicago.

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Without good people with guns, a mass gunman would never be stopped.

Stop with that bullshit. You act like someone with a gun would play hero and that hardly ever happens.

this guy was stopped by a good guy with a gun

Forum List

Back