Guy digs out bullet imbedded in his deck

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021

Do they fire guns into the air on New Year's where you live?

What caliber is that? 7.62×39mm?

Last edited:

Do they fire guns into the air on New Year's where you live?

What caliber is that? 7.62×39mm?

I haven't heard guns fired on NYE (that I could tell) since I moved into the city. When I lived in the boonies it was common.

The 7.62x39mm is the most common caliber of the AK-47 and SKS. It is, I believe, a Russian cartidge developed for military use. It is about the same as a 30-30.

People die every year from falling rounds that idiots fired into the air. I have used an AR-15 as a "noisemaker" but only by firing DIRECTLY into the ground at a VERY acute angle so that no ricochet was possible.

Probably a round that was fired into the air. What goes up must come down somewhere.

If it was fired directly at the deck it would have went right through it.

Yes directly at the deck, might go through, but shot up in the air not really, because when the bullet finally hits terminal velocity it is traveling a lot slower coming down.

32 ft per second per second, isnt as fast as you think.

Instead, a falling bullet comes back down with a speed of only around 150 miles-per-hour (241 kilometers per hour), which is just 10% of the speed it was fired with. Because of how energy works (proportional to your speed squared), a bullet that falls from high in the air only possesses 1% of the energy of a bullet newly fired from a gun: the equivalent of a brick dropped from a height of just 50 cm (about 20 inches) off the ground.

I haven't heard guns fired on NYE (that I could tell) since I moved into the city. When I lived in the boonies it was common.

The 7.62x39mm is the most common caliber of the AK-47 and SKS. It is, I believe, a Russian cartidge developed for military use. It is about the same as a 30-30.
.308 Win

Yes directly at the deck, might go through, but shot up in the air not really, because when the bullet finally hits terminal velocity it is traveling a lot slower coming down.

32 ft per second per second, isnt as fast as you think.

You saw it in wood, and it would do some damage if it hit someone in the head. Especially a child.

I think mythbusters busted the "gun shot straight up" myth...but a shot at any angle that allows for a ballistic trajectory is very, very dangerous.

No firearm discharge is legal in my town. Like okfine ... pellet guns and bow and arrow fire is also illegal.

Forum List

Back