HAHA. Crazy Jesse Jackson calls for Kroger boycott b/c they are closing stores!!!!

The Kroger Tennessee stores shutdown manifests itself by way of a Knoxville location closed in March.

“This closing is necessary because the store has experienced significant losses for over 5 years now, including over $1 million in the last two years,” a spokesperson wrote in a statement to local news. “Closing stores is always a last resort, and only considered after all other alternatives have been exhausted.”

The location had 80 employees.

Kroger shutters stores across the country, leaves thousands potentially without jobs

This was a 2017 closure. It seems reasonable to close it based on losses and the consistent loss over two years.
Wow, with that location closed, the only one that I know of that is still going here in east Tennessee is in Sevierville which is around 30 minutes away from me. We don't have a lot of Kroger stores because of Wal-Mart, Food City, and Ingle's being in the area instead.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Priceless Foods and Save-A-Lot are two other stores here too. We used to have a place here called Food Lion but both locations closed years ago.

Does this make any sense at all??
The way you presented the matter in the title, no, it doesn't make sense. Upon reading the story, yes, the boycot makes sense.

From the story:
Kroger says those stores underperformed, Jackson says it leaves fewer healthy food options for those in predominantly black neighborhoods. It leaves poorer neighborhoods in food deserts.

Kroger says the stores underperformed, and I understand exactly what that means. I understand why they are closing the stores. I suspect, however, the "underperformance" doesn't mean the stores were unprofitable, but rather that the stores didn't meet the firm's profit targets.

I also understand Jackson's point. I can readily see the value of having a grocery store in one's neighborhood, particularly in a city where many people don't drive. (That particular Kroger was across the street from several large apartment complexes.) The Whole Foods closest to my home has a tiny parking lot that, save for around the holidays, is never more than half full, yet the store itself is "full" and busy from the moment it opens to closing time.

In the city, people walk or take a bus to places like grocery stores, mostly because they can, sometimes because they must, and sometimes because city residences don't have room for a week's worth of groceries. By consolidating to a store a mile away, it's quite possible that the people who would have patronized the now-closed Kroger will have to take a long bus ride to and from because the routes are roundabout getting between/through the two areas. You tell me, what goes through your mind when faced with having to travel for 30 - 45 minutes to go a mile or so away? If you're like me, you'll say "oh, eff it" and not go. Add to that the time waiting for a bus, the round trip and what used to be a 15 minute run to the grocer becomes an hour and a half affair.

Now what could Kroger do? Well, it could move to a smaller location in Walnut Hills. I get that running a full line grocery store might not work for Kroger's profit goals, but clearly the people in the area were buying something. Perhaps a smaller store that carried an assortment that aligned with what people were actually buying would work.

Another option might be for Kroger to move into a portion of the existing store and lease the remainder of the space to other businesses that could benefit from the added traffic the grocery store generates. Ever seen a Walmart with a McDonald's or Subway inside? Kroger might have a similar opportunity available to it, be it food stores or non-food stores with which it shares the space. Hell, put in a laundromat (or some other entity that typically has customers who sit around and wait....auto repair, a government office, etc). I'm sure folks waiting for their clothes to finish would buy stuff in the grocery store...drinks at the very least, and single drinks sold in grocery stores happen to be high margin items. That would go a good way toward helping the store meet its targets.

This is like what liberals are telling conservatives about FB, you tube.
It’s a private company they can do as they want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the end of the day, Kroger sure can do what they want with their stores.

Read my post carefully. Find one remark in it were I deride Kroger and/or it's executives the way people have been doing with M. Zuckerberg. You will find no such recriminations.

What you'll find in my post is my expressing a measure of understanding and a couple collaborative solution suggestions that aim at accommodating both groups' -- Kroger's and the community's -- needs. I didn't take a side because it's clear to me that both groups' needs are legitimate.
I get that running a full line grocery store might not work for Kroger's profit goals, but clearly the people in the area were buying something. Perhaps a smaller store that carried an assortment that aligned with what people were actually buying would work.
That would go a good way toward helping the store meet its targets.
I understand why they are closing the stores.
I can readily see the value of having a grocery store in one's neighborhood, particularly in a city where many people don't drive.

What you'll find in my post is my expressing a measure of understanding and a couple collaborative solution suggestions that aim at accommodating both groups' -- Kroger's and the community's -- needs. I didn't take a side because it's clear to me that both groups' needs are legitimate.

We're still waiting for you to explain why it's always the job of white people to feed blacks. Why can't blacks open a grocery store?

We all know the answer. Most blacks can't read or count and are drug addicts and ex-cons. And those evil white bankers use that as an excuse to not loan them the money to open a grocery.

We're still waiting for you to explain why it's always the job of white people to feed blacks. Why can't blacks open a grocery store?

We all know the answer. Most blacks can't read or count and are drug addicts and ex-cons. And those evil white bankers use that as an excuse to not loan them the money to open a grocery.
Well, you're going to have a long wait, for I'm not going to, in this thread, address that topic.
  • Why would I address that topic here? The thread is about Kroger and people who no longer have a nearby grocery store because their local Kroger closed, not about whether or why, as you put it, "it's always the job of white people to feed blacks." Neither the OP, the thread title, nor the rubric article makes any such assertions about whites having to feed blacks.
  • Why are you trying to make the matter be a racial thing when it is not and when I haven't attempted to make it be so?

The way you presented the matter in the title, no, it doesn't make sense. Upon reading the story, yes, the boycot makes sense.

From the story:
Kroger says those stores underperformed, Jackson says it leaves fewer healthy food options for those in predominantly black neighborhoods. It leaves poorer neighborhoods in food deserts.
Kroger says the stores underperformed, and I understand exactly what that means. I understand why they are closing the stores. I suspect, however, the "underperformance" doesn't mean the stores were unprofitable, but rather that the stores didn't meet the firm's profit targets.

I also understand Jackson's point. I can readily see the value of having a grocery store in one's neighborhood, particularly in a city where many people don't drive. (That particular Kroger was across the street from several large apartment complexes.) The Whole Foods closest to my home has a tiny parking lot that, save for around the holidays, is never more than half full, yet the store itself is "full" and busy from the moment it opens to closing time.

In the city, people walk or take a bus to places like grocery stores, mostly because they can, sometimes because they must, and sometimes because city residences don't have room for a week's worth of groceries. By consolidating to a store a mile away, it's quite possible that the people who would have patronized the now-closed Kroger will have to take a long bus ride to and from because the routes are roundabout getting between/through the two areas. You tell me, what goes through your mind when faced with having to travel for 30 - 45 minutes to go a mile or so away? If you're like me, you'll say "oh, eff it" and not go. Add to that the time waiting for a bus, the round trip and what used to be a 15 minute run to the grocer becomes an hour and a half affair.

Now what could Kroger do? Well, it could move to a smaller location in Walnut Hills. I get that running a full line grocery store might not work for Kroger's profit goals, but clearly the people in the area were buying something. Perhaps a smaller store that carried an assortment that aligned with what people were actually buying would work.

Another option might be for Kroger to move into a portion of the existing store and lease the remainder of the space to other businesses that could benefit from the added traffic the grocery store generates. Ever seen a Walmart with a McDonald's or Subway inside? Kroger might have a similar opportunity available to it, be it food stores or non-food stores with which it shares the space. Hell, put in a laundromat (or some other entity that typically has customers who sit around and wait....auto repair, a government office, etc). I'm sure folks waiting for their clothes to finish would buy stuff in the grocery store...drinks at the very least, and single drinks sold in grocery stores happen to be high margin items. That would go a good way toward helping the store meet its targets.

From the story:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the end of the day, Kroger sure can do what they want with their stores.

Read my post carefully. Find one remark in it were I deride Kroger and/or it's executives the way people have been doing with M. Zuckerberg. You will find no such recriminations.

I get that running a full line grocery store might not work for Kroger's profit goals, but clearly the people in the area were buying something. Perhaps a smaller store that carried an assortment that aligned with what people were actually buying would work.
That would go a good way toward helping the store meet its targets.
I understand why they are closing the stores.
I can readily see the value of having a grocery store in one's neighborhood, particularly in a city where many people don't drive.

It's not Kroger's obligation to ensure the people have a place to shop.

You have all kinds of ideas about what Kroger can/should do ...
How about you open the grocery store - laundry mat - transmission shop - social security office ... :dunno:
These same people say the Facebook has a right to ban conservatives from their platform.

Forum List

Back