Happy 4th!

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Hit the link, you won't be sorry. And think about your kids and grandkids while you listen. So enjoy the day and remember there's a whole buncha people in the world that would rather be here than where they are now. And there are reasons for that.

O, America

O, America you're calling,
I can hear you calling me:
You are calling me to be true to thee,
True to thee I will be.

O, America no weeping,
Let me heal your wounded heart:
I will keep you in my keeping,
Till there be a new start.

And I will answer you, and I will take your hand,
And lead you to the sun:
And I will stand by you do all that I can do,
And we will be as one.

O, America I hear you,
From your prairies to the sea,
From your mountains grand, and all through this land,
You are beautiful to me.

And O, America you're calling,
I can hear you calling me:
You are calling me to be true to thee,
True to thee I will be.

And I will answer you, and I will take your hand,
And lead you to the sun:
And I will stand by you do all that I can do,
And we will be as one.

O, America you're calling
I will ever answer thee.

Music: William Joseph
Words: Brendan Graham

usa10.jpg

"For those who persist in their treason, the punishment will be death by hanging."

A little backstory:

Richard Penn and Arthur Lee, representing the Continental Congress, present the so-called Olive Branch Petition to the Earl of Dartmouth on this day in 1775. Britain’s King George III, however, refused to receive the petition, which, written by John Dickinson, appealed directly to the king and expressed hope for reconciliation between the colonies and Great Britain.

Dickinson, who hoped desperately to avoid a final break with Britain, phrased colonial opposition to British policy this way: “Your Majesty’s Ministers, persevering in their measures, and proceeding to open hostilities for enforcing them, have compelled us to arm in our own defence, and have engaged us in a controversy so peculiarly abhorrent to the affections of your still faithful Colonists, that when we consider whom we must oppose in this contest, and if it continues, what may be the consequences, our own particular misfortunes are accounted by us only as parts of our distress.”

By phrasing their discontent this way, Congress attempted to notify the king that American colonists were unhappy with ministerial policy, not his own. They then concluded their plea with a final statement of fidelity to the crown: “That your Majesty may enjoy long and prosperous reign, and that your descendants may govern your Dominions with honour to themselves and happiness to their subjects, is our sincere prayer.”
King George refuses Olive Branch Petition - Sep 01, 1775 - HISTORY.com

And the response:

"For those who persist in their treason, the punishment will be death by hanging."

A little backstory:

Richard Penn and Arthur Lee, representing the Continental Congress, present the so-called Olive Branch Petition to the Earl of Dartmouth on this day in 1775. Britain’s King George III, however, refused to receive the petition, which, written by John Dickinson, appealed directly to the king and expressed hope for reconciliation between the colonies and Great Britain.

Dickinson, who hoped desperately to avoid a final break with Britain, phrased colonial opposition to British policy this way: “Your Majesty’s Ministers, persevering in their measures, and proceeding to open hostilities for enforcing them, have compelled us to arm in our own defence, and have engaged us in a controversy so peculiarly abhorrent to the affections of your still faithful Colonists, that when we consider whom we must oppose in this contest, and if it continues, what may be the consequences, our own particular misfortunes are accounted by us only as parts of our distress.”

By phrasing their discontent this way, Congress attempted to notify the king that American colonists were unhappy with ministerial policy, not his own. They then concluded their plea with a final statement of fidelity to the crown: “That your Majesty may enjoy long and prosperous reign, and that your descendants may govern your Dominions with honour to themselves and happiness to their subjects, is our sincere prayer.”
King George refuses Olive Branch Petition - Sep 01, 1775 - HISTORY.com

And the response:

King George provided the colonies with one of Sun Tzu's most formidable tenets. Desperate Ground or Death Ground.

Sun Tzu noted that a general, when faced with a terrible or stronger foe should put his forces on Desperate or Death Ground if viable means of retreat are not available. A place from which there is no retreat. Men will fight with the most ferocity and not give up their lives easily when there is no alternative but to fight to the death. When there is no avenue of retreat. This is in effect what King George did to the colonies. Made all the colonies Death Ground with his proclamation of 'Death By Hanging' for all 'traitors'.

An interesting side note on this and every 4th is the deleted clause of the Declaration of Independence and the endless "what ifs" had it remained in the original.

The Deleted Clause of the Declaration of Independence

The removal of the anti-slavery clause of the declaration was not the only time Jefferson’s efforts might have led to the premature end of the “peculiar institution.” Economist and cultural historian Thomas Sowell notes that Jefferson’s 1784 anti-slavery bill, which had the votes to pass but did not because of a single ill legislator’s absence from the floor, would have ended the expansion of slavery to any newly admitted states to the Union years before the Constitution’s infamous three-fifths compromise.

It's too hot to do anything but melt here. Fortunately it is supposed to storm tomorrow then cool off by near 20 degrees for a few days.

Forum List

Back