Hare Krishna and the Russian Orthodox Church

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.

Mumbai’s Marine Drive is hardly a place where you would expect to “bump into” a Russian Orthodox Church priest, let alone one from as far away as Siberia. On a breezy late-monsoon evening, a tall and young Russian man asked me the time. His features and accent had “Russian” written all over them and when my response came in his native language, he was pleasantly surprised. At first glance, I assumed the bearded man got lost somewhere in Goa’s hippie trail and ended up in India’s financial capital, but it was my turn to get surprised when I found out who he was.
The young priest hailed from Tomsk, a university town that unfortunately came in the radar of the Indian public in late-2011 when there were attempts by local officials to get the ISCKON version of the Bhagawad Geeta banned. He was in Mumbai to try and do some “personal research” on ISKCON or the Hare Krishna movement. After 3 months, he was convinced that the movement was not “extremist in nature” but still had reservations about its practitioners.

Hare Krishna and the Russian Orthodox Church | Russia & India Report

Forum List

Back