Harry Reid: 'Why Would We Want To' Help One Kid With Cancer?

If you could help one kid with cancer, why wouldn't you do it?

Reid: Why would we do that? We have 1,100 workers who are sitting at home. They have problems of their own.

Seems pretty clear to me that's what he is saying.

Did you listen to the whole Youtube? He was referring to picking and choosing government programs to open/close ..you can not do that as they are all important.

No they are not.

and you should pick and choose - some should be discarded altogether.

Disgusting.

What's disgusting is the Tea Party holding cancer kids hostage and using them as political poker chips.

That's what Obama and the Dems did in spirit with Obamacare when they attached all sorts of controversial and even damaging things to a few feel good things like putting kids on their parents' plans until they're 27.

And Dems do it in spirit when they equate Americans being in favor of the feel good things to Americans being in favor of the massive legislation which is Obamacare.

Well... IF it turns out Americans don't like parts of Obamacare, it's not like the gop will not have the votes to amend the law to conform to the voters' will. Personally, I was not in favor of Obamacare, and preferred approaches like Coburn, Barrazo, Enzi and Bennet ... though none of those now pass tea party objections.

But the desperation the tea party (and not all of the gop) is infusing into this is starting to make me thing maybe Obamacare will not be a total clusterfk.

If you could help one kid with cancer, why wouldn't you do it?

Reid: Why would we do that? We have 1,100 workers who are sitting at home. They have problems of their own.

Seems pretty clear to me that's what he is saying.

Did you listen to the whole Youtube? He was referring to picking and choosing government programs to open/close ..you can not do that as they are all important.

No they are not.

and you should pick and choose - some should be discarded altogether.

So introduce a bill to amend laws to do away with them. That's sort of been the practice for the past 250 or so years.

Disgusting.

What's disgusting is the Tea Party holding cancer kids hostage and using them as political poker chips.

That's what Obama and the Dems did in spirit with Obamacare when they attached all sorts of controversial and even damaging things to a few feel good things like putting kids on their parents' plans until they're 27.

And Dems do it in spirit when they equate Americans being in favor of the feel good things to Americans being in favor of the massive legislation which is Obamacare.

The way I put it in 2009, and many times since, is that when the Democrats wanted to drum up support for ObamaCare, they shouted, "ROLL OUT THE CANCER LADY!"

If you search on that expression, you will find I have used it many times on this forum. :)

It's called the Appeal to Emotion logical fallacy and is heavily used by both parties. Today, the Tea Party is using it by holding these cancer kids hostage and using them as emotional blackmail to make it look like the other side is responsible for their alleged suffering at not being able to particpate in a research study.

They are not being denied treatment.

The fact is that one third of the involuntarily uninsured are high school dropouts. But some asshole who dropped out of high school and who wants us to carry him for the rest of his life on our backs is not a very compelling figure. But a high school dropout is a more accurate representative of the largest demographic that will benefit from ObamaCare. But Obama did not cry, "ROLL OUT THE HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT!"

He used a cancer lady instead.

Now the Tea Party is shouting, "ROLL OUT THE CANCER KIDS!"

A plague on both their houses.

Last edited:
At least the echo chamber boys and girls can't be accused of being too intelligent. Let me be concise and clear: The H. of Rep. only needs to pass the CR, the only person responsible for those who suffer today and tomorrow and into the future is Speaker Boehner.

If the members of the H. of Rep. really gave a damn about anyone or anything but their own election the CR would have been put to an up or down vote, something Boehner won't ask for because he is protecting his job and something the members could demand or remove him from his high office.

Let me be concise and clear. I emailed and called all of my elected officials and boehner and told them to defund ocare.

Of course, and no one will ever consider you intelligent. If you were, you would consider the outrage about an apocryphal child by members of the echo chamber. Any harm caused by the shutdown is the fault of Speaker Boehner and the radical Republicans who planned for the shutdown. These facts are part of the public domain and the efforts by some to alter the truth paints all of them and those who support them as ridiculous.

Your actions in support of the shutdown - if true - make you morally responsible for any person - adult or child - who suffers or dies do to the irresponsible behavior of the radical spoiled children in the Republican Party. For your sake I hope Karma is a myth.

Last edited:
At least the echo chamber boys and girls can't be accused of being too intelligent. Let me be concise and clear: The H. of Rep. only needs to pass the CR, the only person responsible for those who suffer today and tomorrow and into the future is Speaker Boehner.

If the members of the H. of Rep. really gave a damn about anyone or anything but their own election the CR would have been put to an up or down vote, something Boehner won't ask for because he is protecting his job and something the members could demand or remove him from his high office.

Let me be concise and clear. I emailed and called all of my elected officials and boehner and told them to defund ocare.

Of course, and no one will ever consider you intelligent. If you were, you would consider the outrage about an apocryphal child by members of the echo chamber. Any harm caused by the shutdown is the fault of Speaker Boehner and the radical Republicans who planned for the shutdown. These facts are part of the public domain and the efforts by some to alter the truth paints all of them and those who support them as ridiculous.

Your actions in support of the shutdown - if true - make you morally responsible for any person - adult or child - who suffers or dies do to the irresponsible behavior of the radical spoiled children in the Republican Party. For you sake I hope Karma is a myth.

Please spare us your emotional indignance as you once again venture off into your never ending love for govt. It must be your religion.

What's more disgusting is Harry Reid equating children with cancer to furloughed workers.

Like the Tea-publicans even give a flying fuck~

Hey, Harry gave the CNN reporter the soundbite that will be heard all over the nation this evening.

Meanwhile as it is being reported world wide at this point, the Democrats refused to even work with the Republicans in a bi partisan manner.

We have the new media now to by pass your Axelrod Army aka the old media and get the message out there about the true villains in this shutdown.

:eusa_angel:

I love these blazing headlines, don't you? Republicans trying/Dems blocking

Obama calls congressional bigwigs to the White House as Republicans try again with piecemeal bills to keep key agencies running during shutdown

By David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor

PUBLISHED: 21:59 GMT, 1 October 2013 | UPDATED: 19:15 GMT, 2 October 2013

The way I put it in 2009, and many times since, is that when the Democrats wanted to drum up support for ObamaCare, they shouted, "ROLL OUT THE CANCER LADY!"

If you search on that expression, you will find I have used it many times on this forum. :)

It's called the Appeal to Emotion logical fallacy and is heavily used by both parties. Today, the Tea Party is using it by holding these cancer kids hostage and using them as emotional blackmail to make it look like the other side is responsible for their alleged suffering at not being able to particpate in a research study.

They are not being denied treatment.

The fact is that one third of the involuntarily uninsured are high school dropouts. But some asshole who dropped out of high school and who wants us to carry him for the rest of his life on our backs is not a very compelling figure. But a high school dropout is a more accurate representative of the largest demographic that will benefit from ObamaCare. But Obama did not cry, "ROLL OUT THE HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT!"

He used a cancer lady instead.

Now the Tea Party is shouting, "ROLL OUT THE CANCER KIDS!"

A plague on both their houses.

You're usually more precise in your posts, which I generally enjoy for that reason. This comment ("But a high school dropout is a more accurate representative of the largest demographic that will benefit from ObamaCare") struck me as a bit of hyperbole - do you have facts to prove this assertion?

Much of what I've seen in the past 24-hours on the local news are persons who lost a job and their health insurance and have a medical condition which prevented them from securing health insurance.

Last edited:
Nancy cackling away. Oh my Dems. This is who you choose to represent you. YIKES!

article-2440603-1871D26900000578-20_634x399.jpg

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi enjoyed Tuesday evening's vote, in which nearly all of her fellow Democrats blocked veterans and national parks funding as a response to what she called 'hostage' taking by Republicans

Democrats BLOCK House Republicans' attempt to keep key government departments running during shutdown | Mail Online

What's more disgusting is Harry Reid equating children with cancer to furloughed workers.

Like the Tea-publicans even give a flying fuck~

Hey, Harry gave the CNN reporter the soundbite that will be heard all over the nation this evening.

Meanwhile as it is being reported world wide at this point, the Democrats refused to even work with the Republicans in a bi partisan manner.

We have the new media now to by pass your Axelrod Army aka the old media and get the message out there about the true villains in this shutdown.

:eusa_angel:

I love these blazing headlines, don't you? Republicans trying/Dems blocking

Obama calls congressional bigwigs to the White House as Republicans try again with piecemeal bills to keep key agencies running during shutdown

By David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor

PUBLISHED: 21:59 GMT, 1 October 2013 | UPDATED: 19:15 GMT, 2 October 2013

I enjoy watching Fox and then go to MSNBC, funny how people can see the same thing yet have a completely different view/story.

Ok, then....

1) Republicans are expected to vote today on piecemeal funding of the government, including a measure funding the National Institutes of Health. Senate Dems will spike this measure, and House Republicans will accuse them of refusing to help children with cancer, as they already have done today.

Ornstein says Senate Dems could take that NIH measure, and amend it to restore funding to original pre-sequester levels, and send that back to the House. Republicans would then have to vote for higher funding (angering conservatives) or allow Dems to accuse them of refusing to fund the NIH. “Amend it to fund NIH at a robust level for a full year, send that back to the House, and make them explain why they don’t want to fund research grants,” Ornstein says. Remember, sequester cuts to NIH are already taking a toll.

2) House Republicans are set to vote on other piecemeal measures, such as bills funding national parks, veterans programs, and payments to the National Guard. Ornstein says Senate Dems could theoretically take one of those and attach the Senate Dems’ “clean CR” funding the whole government at sequester levels, and challenge Republicans to vote against that.

How Dems could play procedural hardball in shutdown fight

We'll shut down irrigation to the Central Valley to save a smelt, but help a kid with cancer?

No way.

Any irony here with the gop aim being denying money for healtcare to working class families. Anyone? Anyone? LOL

No, the irony is the government has stepped so heavily in the middle of this research they have the power to shut it down and people like you want to hand them the entire healthcare system. The stupidity is unbelievable.

If I were to invoke logic, the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of a few. Or the one.
~Spock, Wrath of Khan.

"It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right and wrong."
~Jeremy Bentham

Yes, Utilitarianism, the favored philosophy of totalitarians everywhere. Ever wonder why the Soviet Union suffered 25 million casualties during WWII? Or the Germans lost 3.5 million as opposed to the 700,000 of the US and UK?

Because we CARE about the individual. In the utilitarian world you are EXPECTED to die for your country. In an individualist world we are thankful that you made the ultimate sacrifice.
For those who would care to be treated for their affliction I suggest John Rawls' "A Theory of Justice" which comprehensively exposes the essential, and oftimes just plain cruel, injustice in a utilitarian world.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/A-Theory-Justice-John-Rawls/dp/0674000781]A Theory of Justice: John Rawls: 9780674000780: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Your actions in support of the shutdown - if true - make you morally responsible for any person - adult or child - who suffers or dies do to the irresponsible behavior of the radical spoiled children in the Republican Party. For you sake I hope Karma is a myth.

Please spare us your emotional indignance as you once again venture off into your never ending love for govt. It must be your religion.

He's a government employee sucking off the public tit..... what else would you expect...

You're usually more precise in your posts, which I generally enjoy for that reason.

Thanks!

This comment ("But a high school dropout is a more accurate representative of the largest demographic that will benefit from ObamaCare") struck me as a bit of hyperbole - do you have facts to prove this assertion?

Yep. I can almost always support my claims. :D

To further examine this classification, the authors then compare the characteristics of the voluntarily and involuntarily uninsured with the characteristics of the privately insured population. The authors find the most striking differences when comparing the involuntarily uninsured to the privately insured. For example, roughly one-third of the involuntarily uninsured are high school dropouts, compared to approximately 7 percent of the privately insured population. A disproportionately large percentage of the involuntarily uninsured are young, a third are immigrants, close to half are single without children, and close to 40 percent did not work during the year. Indeed, many of these demographic differences—which are not necessarily shared by the voluntarily uninsured—may contribute to the differences in health coverage.

http://www.epionline.org/study/r122/

Exactly what I claimed:
The fact is that one third of the involuntarily uninsured are high school dropouts.

But it's roll out the cancer lady instead:

Much of what I've seen in the past 24-hours on the local news are persons who lost a job and their health insurance and have a medical condition which prevented them from securing health insurance.

Exactly my point! The appeal to emotion fallacy. Roll out the cancer lady. It plays better than, "ROLL OUT THE DROPOUT!"

Last edited:
Just think though...the side that gives in first will be the ones that think more of the US citizens than their own party.

If Obama cared at all, he could have stopped this from happening and agreed to postpone the healthcare....he would have had everything he needed to keep the government running, he just wouldn't be able to implement his law right now. But...it would also mean admitting he was wrong, which would NEVER happen.

The issue has been decided. It was decided in the House and ObamaCare was passed in the House. It was decided in the Senate and ObamaCare was passed in the Senate. It was decided in the Courts and ObamaCare was validated by the courts. It was decided in the election when Romney made the election all about ObamaCare, and the American people re-elected Obama.

The Tea Party is now acting like a chicken with its head cut off. It does not yet know it is dead and is running around spewing blood from its neck hole. Everyone can see this for what it is.

Do you know why we have ObamaCare? Because the GOP could not make a cogent argument against it, and because it had steadfastly refused to do anything about rising healthcare costs when it controlled all three branches of government.

Even now, after all this time, the GOP still does not have a better idea than ObamaCare on the table. Even now.

Think about that. Think about how retarded on an epic scale that is.

The GOP's best and only idea is to act like a small child and hold its breath until it turns blue.

Oh whatthefuckever. ACA was shoved down the throats of the American people in an eleventh hour parliamentary trick.... Roberts pulled some weird shit in his opinion that most legal scholars said wtf? to and clearly, the vast majority of Americans don't want this... hell.. who wants:

A plan that is so good they're gonna make us buy it and penalize us if we don't, hire an army of IRS agents to enforce, headed by a commissioner that didn't pay his taxes, all the admins cronies are getting exempted from because it is so good, etc., etc.

It's a clusterfuck and the American people know it. PREDICTION: The GOP doesn't take a hit over this any more than you and your fellow leftist moonbats predicted back in the nineties.

it took over a year to pass it. Thats not being shoved,but then you are a lying sack of shit.

So if your children somehow had cancer (if you have children), you would want the gov't not to fund the NIH during the shutdown? All because it's not "fair" and all programs are important? I think kids dying of cancer is more important than people who pick up trash, but that's just me.

It pretty fucking sick of the Tea Party to hold cancer kids hostage and to use them as emotional blackmail. They have just proven there is no low too low for them to go.

They are basically digging themselves into a grave, not soon enough. :dig:

What grave?

They'll get re elected without your vote. :lol:

Forum List

Back