Harvard Economist: Immigration Costs US Workers $500 Billion A Year

Oh, lets not let this thread slip away. No way Jose! This needs discussing lefties, or are you in to screwing over your fellow Americans-)
I linked to the Harvard professor's findings above, instead of quoting from a known propaganda piss outlet.

In his findings, he states people without high school diplomas, who are living in poverty, suffer the largest negative impact of immigration.

These are the same American born workers who have been asking for a higher minimum wage. When they do, the Right scorns them, telling them they should have not made bad choices in life.

What the Harvard economist is saying is that immigrants add $1.6 trillion to the US GDP every year. Most of that goes to the immigrants.

$400 billion goes to the native born population. And most of that goes to the employers and investors instead of the workers.

In short, immigrants are a net financial gain. Just not to the average worker. They are a net gain for the one percenters.

Immigration and the American Worker

Yes redistributing to the wealthy. They benefit from cheaper labor.
They benefit from not paying the American without a high school diploma as little as possible. That's who the economist says is being harmed the most. You know...those people the Right scorns for asking for a higher minimum wage.

Those are the people the economist says are being robbed.

Don't think it is just the lowest paid, includes guest workers. Those are often better paying jobs.
Read the link. I even quoted him: "Immigration has its largest negative impact on the wage of native workers who lack a high school diploma".

That ignores all the STEM workers who are here on H1-Bs
So you dispute the Harvard immigration expert/economics professor's findings then?

Oh, lets not let this thread slip away. No way Jose! This needs discussing lefties, or are you in to screwing over your fellow Americans-)
I linked to the Harvard professor's findings above, instead of quoting from a known propaganda piss outlet.

In his findings, he states people without high school diplomas, who are living in poverty, suffer the largest negative impact of immigration.

These are the same American born workers who have been asking for a higher minimum wage. When they do, the Right scorns them, telling them they should have not made bad choices in life.
A better solution is to deport all the cheap labor that's taking their jobs and driving their wages down.

A better solution is to deport all the cheap labor that's taking their jobs and driving their wages down.
Immigrants do a lot of jobs most Americans won't do. Every prosperous society has a large immigrant population which does the shit jobs.

And are you willing to pay more for your stuff? That's what the Right always claims when higher wages come up.

I wonder if the rubes know how stupid they sound when they say their problems are "because Mexicans".

Our problems are because of us. This avoidance of personal responsibility is a left wing tactic, but I hear it more and more from the Right these days. They are constantly on the hunt for scapegoats instead of facing the truth and taking a good hard look in the mirror.

Our national debt is by far the biggest damper on our economy, not Mexicans. And that debt is run up by government gifts we ALL take. Every last one of us demands them and scream like welfare queens when those government gifts are threatened.

Immigrants do a lot of jobs most Americans won't do. Every prosperous society has a large immigrant population which does the shit jobs.

And are you willing to pay more for your stuff? That's what the Right always claims when higher wages come up.

Yeah, we've heard that bullshit 1000 times already. Immigrants do a lot of jobs that Americans will do. I'm surrounded by immigrants at the job I'm on now.

Yeah, we've heard that bullshit 1000 times already. Immigrants do a lot of jobs that Americans will do. I'm surrounded by immigrants at the job I'm on now.
You won't get an American to leave their suburban tract house, climb into their Ford Focus, and drive a hundred miles to pick lettuce for a couple weeks, and then drive two hundred miles to pick peaches for a couple weeks, and so on. Not for the wages a farmer can afford.

It's called MIGRANT labor for a reason.

Here's how the transfer of wealth works.

An investor wants to squeeze as many profits out of a corporation as possible. To please the investors, the CEO will squeeze his suppliers to lower their prices more and more.

For a grocery outlet corporation, that means squeezing farmers to lower their prices, always threatening to find another supplier.

To the farmer, that means paying his workers as little as possible. And that means a wage most Americans will not accept. So the farmer has no choice but to hire the people who show up for the job, legally or illegally.

All to increase the corporate share price.

You guys want to upset that apple cart? Go right ahead. Get rid of the Mexicans, and start paying pickers 25 bucks an hour, see what happens to your grocery bill and your 401k.

How can anyone honestly claim immigration doesn't harm American workers if data like that is accurate?

Immigration effectively redistributes half a trillion dollars from U.S. workers to the businesses that hire immigrants each year, Harvard economist and immigration and wages expert George Borjas testified before Congress Wednesday.

More Canadian math?

The 2015 US workers income was $15T. So $500B is what percent?

An investor wants to squeeze as many profits out of a corporation as possible. To please the investors, the CEO will squeeze his suppliers to lower their prices more and more.

For a grocery outlet corporation, that means squeezing farmers to lower their prices, always threatening to find another supplier.

To the farmer, that means paying his workers as little as possible. And that means a wage most Americans will not accept. So the farmer has no choice but to hire the people who show up for the job, legally or illegally.

You guys want to upset that apple cart? Go right ahead. Get rid of the Mexicans, and start paying pickers 25 bucks an hour, see what happens to your grocery bill and your 401k.

Getting rid of investors would be easier.

What the Harvard economist is saying is that immigrants add $1.6 trillion to the US GDP every year. Most of that goes to the immigrants.

$400 billion goes to the native born population. And most of that goes to the employers and investors instead of the workers.

In short, immigrants are a net financial gain. Just not to the average worker. They are a net gain for the one percenters.

Immigration and the American Worker

Yes redistributing to the wealthy. They benefit from cheaper labor.
They benefit from not paying the American without a high school diploma as little as possible. That's who the economist says is being harmed the most. You know...those people the Right scorns for asking for a higher minimum wage.

Those are the people the economist says are being robbed.

Don't think it is just the lowest paid, includes guest workers. Those are often better paying jobs.
Read the link. I even quoted him: "Immigration has its largest negative impact on the wage of native workers who lack a high school diploma".

Surprising.

You won't get an American to leave their suburban tract house, climb into their Ford Focus, and drive a hundred miles to pick lettuce for a couple weeks, and then drive two hundred miles to pick peaches for a couple weeks, and so on. Not for the wages a farmer can afford.

It's called MIGRANT labor for a reason.

I work around all kinds of immigrants who are making 6 figure salaries.

If he can't hire illegals, then he has to hire Americans and pay them enough to show up. The illegals are what make it possible for him to pay those rock bottom wages. All your scenarios assume illegals are a given.

A lot of those jobs are being replaced by mechanization, anyway.

How can anyone honestly claim immigration doesn't harm American workers if data like that is accurate?

Immigration effectively redistributes half a trillion dollars from U.S. workers to the businesses that hire immigrants each year, Harvard economist and immigration and wages expert George Borjas testified before Congress Wednesday.

More Canadian math?

The 2015 US workers income was $15T. So $500B is what percent?

Where do you think he got his math wrong?

I wonder if the rubes know how stupid they sound when they say their problems are "because Mexicans".

Our problems are because of us. This avoidance of personal responsibility is a left wing tactic, but I hear it more and more from the Right these days. They are constantly on the hunt for scapegoats instead of facing the truth and taking a good hard look in the mirror.

Our national debt is by far the biggest damper on our economy, not Mexicans. And that debt is run up by government gifts we ALL take. Every last one of us demands them and scream like welfare queens when those government gifts are threatened.

Do you know how stupid you sound when you say immigrants do jobs that Americans won't do?

Mexicans are a damper on wages, not the economy. A roaring economy doesn't matter to someone whose making the same as what he made 15 years ago.

Capitalists like cheap labor? Shocking...

What's your point?

What's your point?
You let the capitalists get their way by keeping the border open and refusing to issue a National ID. You fucked yourselves, don't blame the capitalists.

What's your point?
You let the capitalists get their way by keeping the border open and refusing to issue a National ID. You fucked yourselves, don't blame the capitalists.
I'm keeping the border open? If anyone's doing that, it's the Democrat party. You're the one who fucked me.

What's your point?
I'm keeping the border open? If anyone's doing that, it's the Democrat party. You're the one who fucked me.
Two Bushes, Nixon, Ford, and Reagan didn't close the border and you're blaming the Dems? Blame yourself, piss freak.

Forum List

Back