Has any private citizen EVER fired more than 20 shots in Self-Defense? EVER?

It must be terrible to live in such fear.

I've got 3 fire extinguisher in my home. Is that living in fear? I don't think so. I consider it being prepared to protect myself, my family and my home in case of fire. Having a firearm is to be prepared to protect myself, my family and my home from scumbags who would wish to bring harm. Prepardness doesn't equal fear, it equals common sense.

Live life serving others and there ARE no scumbags to fear. People in power know you and protect you when your community knows and respects you.

Assholes attract scumbags like shit draws flies, however.

Regards from Rosie

The authorities will protect you?

Not in New York.

No Duty to Rescue Rule: Court Holds That New York Transit Workers Had No Obligation To Help Woman Being Raped in Station « JONATHAN TURLEY

(snipped)

I really dont know why you idiots keep referring to me as a liberal though. Maybe you haven't read most of my past posts...or even my avatar.

Because many of you're posts such as several of them in this thread are so inept.

To answer your question Yes, most definitely and this is only one example.

1986 FBI Miami shootout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1986 FBI Miami shootout
The shootout involved ten people: two suspects and eight FBI agents. Of the ten, only one, Special Agent Manauzzi, did not fire any shots (firearm thrown from car in initial collision), while only one, Special Agent Risner, was able to emerge from the battle without a wound. The incident lasted under five minutes yet approximately 145 shots were exchanged.
Jerry Dove: Smith & Wesson Model 459 9mm pistol, 20+ rounds fired. Killed by two .223 gunshot wounds to the head.
Ronald Risner: Smith & Wesson Model 459 9mm pistol, 14 rounds fired, S&W Model 60 .38 Special revolver, one round .38 Special +P fired. Uninjured

Then based on the actions of these few cops, we clearly need to limit the amount of ammo all cops can carry.

WTF.... Where do you come up with this shit?
How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

The same way you come to the conclusion that we should ban guns because 1 guy shot a bunch of children.

Does anyone believe that those who carry a gun behave differently than they would if they were unarmed? Those of you who always are armed, do you think you would act differently - be less cautious, more aggressive - if you did not have a gun in your possession?

Does anyone understand what the fuck this post is about?

Does anyone believe that those who carry a gun behave differently than they would if they were unarmed? Those of you who always are armed, do you think you would act differently - be less cautious, more aggressive - if you did not have a gun in your possession?

Does anyone understand what the fuck this post is about?

Yes, it's about Wry Catcher never qualifying for a CCW or having any experience with carrying a sidearm.

I want some facts and truthiness. Has ANY private citizen (not a cop, solider, militia, security guard)....EVER needed more than 20 shots for any single incident of self-defense? I tried researching it, and I cant fine a single incident. Ever. I found one website with a lot of good stats from the NRA's own sources: The Thinking Gunfighter: Self Defense Findings

How many self defense situations required a "reload"? : About 1/2 of 1% it says, so, 0.5%.

How many shots are fired by the defender? : In most cases, about 2. Yes, TWO.

The average number of shots fired by the defender? 2. The median? 2.

It says the majority of cases where more than 2 were fired were the defender simply shooting the gun until empty, out of reaction, not necessity.

Out 482 shooting incidents studied (By the NRA), only 3 required a reload. 1 of the 3 was to kill a Lion (like the cat) who escaped, and a large cal revolver was used, needing 13 shots to kill the animal.

The largest number of "attackers" reported, across the country, was 7...where 7 men tried to do a home invasion. The home owner fought them off, killed 2, wounded 1................with a SHOTGUN.

Im trying to find an example. And I cant. I cant find one single example of a private citizen needing a 30 round magazine to fight off intruders or attackers. Not one. Not one single incident. In fact, every single incident seems that a 15 round magazine would be PLENTY to get the job done....yep, even if the attacker is an African Lion.

Im a gun rights supporter, but I also try to see both sides of all issues. Well....Im having trouble justifying the need for 30, 45, 50, or 100 round magazines in the hands of private citizens. Should they be banned? I dont think so. It wouldnt change anything except add more work for the understaffed PD's to enforce yet another law. But, is there a justified NEED for them? Absolutely not.

I bet you can't find a single Police Officer who has fired more than 20 shots in self defense or defense of the public. Do you want to limit their ammunition too?

That is a key difference. Police have to CHASE and detain criminals. They enter the fight and push it to them. Private citizens do not, they only have to defend themselves and flee. But...
How long do you want the list to be?

North Hollywood shootout
Pittsburgh SWAT shootout
Florida SWAT manhunt swamp shootout
Rock Hill SC bank robbery shootout
Greenville, SC ambush shootout (just last month, GPD officer fired 32 shots)
San Jose SWAT hostage shootout (electronics store)
FBI Miami shootout
Symbionese Liberation Army group vs LAPD SWAT team
03 Abbeville, SC "Right of Way" SWAT shootout
Salt Lake mall shootout

Those are just a handful of the first that come to mind from past training classes I saw. I can imagine the border patrol and deployed units of federal law enforcment (DEA, FBI, CIA) have done far more.

We have a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of Needs.

Massacres can and have happened with handguns, especially if the group of victims are unarmed. When a handgun massacre like Columbine occurs and 34 people shot, does the Left say "everything is ok, at least he didn't shoot 45 people with an assault rifle."

It says the majority of cases where more than 2 were fired were the defender simply shooting the gun until empty, out of reaction, not necessity.

I dont know what they teach now, but when I took my CCW, we were told that when we shoot, to keep shooting until the bad guy was down, that it was necessary to eliminate the threat by making sure it was killed, and to prevent the possibility of legal action from the bad guy after you shoot them.

Some folks have watched too much Walking Dead and Doomsday Preppers.

Ok. When was the last time a private citizen had to fight off a spontaneous "mob" with a rifle?
Los Angeles riots, to name one......Those Korean Business owners down in South Central weren't taking shit from anybody, and they damn sure knew the fucking cops weren't doing shit to protect 'em.....In fact, the cops turned tail and ran.

It's just too bad Reginald Denny wasn't packing.

Yep. That was a mess.

But as for the cops, would YOU have gone in? Grossly outnumbered, not issued M4's? Plus, unlike the military (saw your ranger avatar), cops dont get "combat pay", or medals, or lifetime healthcare at retirement, or...even basic appreciation from most of the public. Can you blame them for not running into what would probably be at least a major injury if not death for them? Cop work isn't the glory and honor and reward that military life is. And I dont mean that as a knock. Military guys not only deserve everything they get, they deserve FAR MORE! Im just saying that cops get even less return for the risk when it does hit the fan.

BTW- you ever hear the story from those riots about the Marines from Camp Pendleton assisting LAPD? Part of the modern SWAT tactics were born in that riot. A group of Marines assisted LAPD tactical teams, and when approaching a house with a gunman who was taking shots, the LAPD requested the USMC "cover us" when they made approach. Well, in police world, "cover" means point a gun and watch for any threat. Apparantly, "cover us" in the USMC meant open fire on the house with suppressive fire. It was a huge WTF moment, and sparked the beginning of organized, modern swat tactical planning.

"The National Crime Victimization Survey, which yields estimates in the neighborhood of 100,000 defensive gun uses per year. Making various reasonable-sounding adjustments, other social scientists have suggested that perhaps a figure somewhere between 250,000 and 370,000 might be more accurate."
How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

National Safety Council: Guns Used 80 Times More to Save Lives Than Murder
National Safety Council

I dont know what they teach now, but when I took my CCW, we were told that when we shoot, to keep shooting until the bad guy was down, that it was necessary to eliminate the threat by making sure it was killed, and to prevent the possibility of legal action from the bad guy after you shoot them.

:eek:

A CCW instructor TAUGHT you to unload the whole mag, and to ensure the guy is dead to avoid lawsuits?

Holy Christ. Either you are lying and didn't take a CCW class.....or, that instructor is going to get living shit sued out of HIM when one of you kills someone.

You shoot to stop the threat, and ONLY to stop the threat. NOT to 'kill', and certainly not to 'kill so I wont get sued by a living witness'.

That is terrifying. So if after the 1st shot, the guy drops the gun and falls, but is alive, you were taught to keep firing until empty to be sure he is A) Dead and B) Not gonna sue anyone????

WOW. Just wow.

"The National Crime Victimization Survey, which yields estimates in the neighborhood of 100,000 defensive gun uses per year. Making various reasonable-sounding adjustments, other social scientists have suggested that perhaps a figure somewhere between 250,000 and 370,000 might be more accurate."

National Safety Council

So, at about 300,000, in a nation of 300,000,000, that would be 1 in 100. 1 in 100 people will have to use a gun in self defense in a year. I live in a city of about 100,000. And I can guarantee...just by reading local news, that there are not 1,000 people in my city who've had to use a gun to defend themselves in the past year. If the number were that high, the media would be in hysteria about the massive crime wave.....but it is not, because it hasn't happened.

That stat is simply inaccurate.

A CCW instructor TAUGHT you to unload the whole mag, and to ensure the guy is dead to avoid lawsuits?

Holy Christ. Either you are lying and didn't take a CCW class.....or, that instructor is going to get living shit sued out of HIM when one of you kills someone.

You shoot to stop the threat, and ONLY to stop the threat. NOT to 'kill', and certainly not to 'kill so I wont get sued by a living witness'.

That is terrifying. So if after the 1st shot, the guy drops the gun and falls, but is alive, you were taught to keep firing until empty to be sure he is A) Dead and B) Not gonna sue anyone????

WOW. Just wow.

Talk to a lawyer sometime. If you empty the magazine you can claim all sorts of things if you are prosecuted, if you fire just one shot the prosecutor can use that to argue what you did was preplanned.

WOW. Just wow.

You are either lying, or or you did not take a CCW class. One of the first things you are taught is the gravity of pulling a gun.

You shoot to eliminate the threat. When a gun is pulled, some one will be getting killed. It is a fact.

2 or 3 shots center mass will likely kill any one with ill intentions towards you. I said nothing about shooting them when there down, jus that we were taught to shoot them until they are down, and that a dead perp cant sue you. The fact that you dont have a clue about the legal ramifications of using a gun in self defense shows you have not done a CCW class. Only interweb reading.

National Safety Council

So, at about 300,000, in a nation of 300,000,000, that would be 1 in 100. 1 in 100 people will have to use a gun in self defense in a year. I live in a city of about 100,000. And I can guarantee...just by reading local news, that there are not 1,000 people in my city who've had to use a gun to defend themselves in the past year. If the number were that high, the media would be in hysteria about the massive crime wave.....but it is not, because it hasn't happened.

How about you don't understand averages. There are some cities where guns are used all the time for self-defense and some cities have literally zero instances of a gun being used in self-defense. Why don't you understand that fact.

It is a dangerous world out there. One must be prepared. My neighbor has a visious toy poodle that gets out occassionally and start nipping at my heels. Have you ever had to run for your life with blood dripping down from the back of your ankle into your shoe? It is no picnic, I can tell you! So, I started carrying my pistol, and told my nieghbor that I am prepared to stand my ground. He called 911, but I knew that it was all just a plot to take my gun away, so I didn't answer the door. I know that they are out there waiting for me somewhere, so I don't go out any more. The trouble is, it is difficult to find someone who gives hair cuts by house calls. It is just as well, though, because he would probably be an ATF plant just trying to get into my house. I am on to their tricks.

National Safety Council

How about you don't understand averages. There are some cities where guns are used all the time for self-defense and some cities have literally zero instances of a gun being used in self-defense. Why don't you understand that fact.

He would rather make up his own facts.

Forum List

Back