Has Obama Made Us Into a Banana Republic?

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Hey, Transformation baby. and just think...... some of you voted for it. yeehaaa

SNIP:
When I was growing up we used to make fun of countries in Central and South America for the flimsy governments that were run by two-bit dictators who made up the script as they went along. In fact, we made so much fun of these operations that Woody Allen made a movie in 1971 called Bananas which parodied the governments and their haphazard operations. It is probably considered insensitive today to even refer to our southern friends in such terms. More importantly, the question is: How much are we becoming a similar operation?

This is not to state that the root cause of this problem is President Obama. Presidents have been at odds with Congress regarding the powers of the presidency since time began (1789). Early on it was more a process of defining who could do what. In recent times, it has seemed to people and scholars on both sides of the aisle that executive power has expanded at the expense of the Congress with a short turnaround in the mid 1970’s in the aftermath of Watergate. However, the current president has exerted executive power to the 10th degree bringing us the edge of a constitutional crisis.

Since January 2011 when Mr. Obama no longer had a majority in both houses of Congress, he has told the Congress on too many occasions that he will do what he wants and they cannot stop him.

Instead of attempting to negotiate a deal with the Republicans who very actively want to structure a multi-faceted immigration reform program, Mr. Obama told them to stick it in their ear and “legalized” five million people here in America illegally.

That caused 26 states to sue him and have the program put on hold. He followed that up by negotiating an agreement with a dangerous adversary, Iran, and made blatant he intends to circumvent the Congress.

ALL of it here:
Has Obama Made Us Into a Banana Republic - Bruce Bialosky - Page 1

No, this is not Obama.

This is a culture war, a deep and real division that is growing by the day.

One guy can't do that.

could be I guess. I believe the article is talking more about him abusing his power as President

You can't have a banana republic without unrestrained capitalism.

The purpose of Government is to protect the corporations and create a subservient worker class

What we know of today as the Republican Party

Hey, Transformation baby. and just think...... some of you voted for it. yeehaaa

SNIP:
When I was growing up we used to make fun of countries in Central and South America for the flimsy governments that were run by two-bit dictators who made up the script as they went along. In fact, we made so much fun of these operations that Woody Allen made a movie in 1971 called Bananas which parodied the governments and their haphazard operations. It is probably considered insensitive today to even refer to our southern friends in such terms. More importantly, the question is: How much are we becoming a similar operation?

This is not to state that the root cause of this problem is President Obama. Presidents have been at odds with Congress regarding the powers of the presidency since time began (1789). Early on it was more a process of defining who could do what. In recent times, it has seemed to people and scholars on both sides of the aisle that executive power has expanded at the expense of the Congress with a short turnaround in the mid 1970’s in the aftermath of Watergate. However, the current president has exerted executive power to the 10th degree bringing us the edge of a constitutional crisis.

Since January 2011 when Mr. Obama no longer had a majority in both houses of Congress, he has told the Congress on too many occasions that he will do what he wants and they cannot stop him.

Instead of attempting to negotiate a deal with the Republicans who very actively want to structure a multi-faceted immigration reform program, Mr. Obama told them to stick it in their ear and “legalized” five million people here in America illegally.

That caused 26 states to sue him and have the program put on hold. He followed that up by negotiating an agreement with a dangerous adversary, Iran, and made blatant he intends to circumvent the Congress.

ALL of it here:

no idiota, he hasn't.

that's what you rightwingnuts are trying to do.

:thup:

No, this is not Obama.

One guy can't do that.

a culture war between normal people and people who want to go back to the 1950's and who hate the black guy in the white house so much that they don't care about the country.

well, Happy Easter to you jilly. Hope you can have a nice day

SNIP:

ALL of it here:
FYI -- It might be a good idea, and it might serve you well, to do a little more research on how we reached this point of socioeconomic ruin. What we're seeing and experiencing now, is the results of many decades of the "selling of America" that has its roots as far back as the mid 50's when we started re-building Japan's economy shortly after WWII. Mr. Obama is just continuing the progression of anti-America legislation and policies practiced by many presidents and administrations before him. Our ruin and socioeconomic decline didn't start with the Obama presidency, nor with his administration, but is a work in progress which continues the general agendas of "The Washington Brotherhood".

Its a lot less sinister and planned in my opinion.

The side effect of a money/power equals success taught population is that eventually, greed overcomes decency because a "business" is doing it instead of a "person" which allows enough cognitive dissonance to justify these steps toward greed internally.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:
FYI -- It might be a good idea, and it might serve you well, to do a little more research on how we reached this point of socioeconomic ruin. What we're seeing and experiencing now, is the results of many decades of the "selling of America" that has its roots as far back as the mid 50's when we started re-building Japan's economy shortly after WWII. Mr. Obama is just continuing the progression of anti-America legislation and policies practiced by many presidents and administrations before him. Our ruin and socioeconomic decline didn't start with the Obama presidency, nor with his administration, but is a work in progress which continues the general agendas of "The Washington Brotherhood".

oh I know that. Obama just put the icing on top of us all. oh well...American Idiol is more important

this is only a blip of what's been happening under your dear leader

snip:
Somali Refugees to US Increased 250% Under Obama

all of it here:
A more modest 80% increase for Arab refugees who are nevertheless consistently number one… and we’re not just talking in acts of terror against New York City landmarks, but also top the refugee admissions list.

These numbers come via Ann Corcoran’s invaluable Refugee Resettlement Watch blog.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2015/dgreenfield/somali-refugees-to-us-increased-250-under-obama/

You can't have a banana republic without unrestrained capitalism.

The purpose of Government is to protect the corporations and create a subservient worker class

What we know of today as the Republican Party

To you, the purpose of government is to take from the one that earns it and hand it to the one that didn't all in the name of "fairness"

What we know of today as the Democrat party.

The side effect of a money/power equals success taught population is that eventually, greed overcomes decency because a "business" is doing it instead of a "person" which allows enough cognitive dissonance to justify these steps toward greed internally.

Define greed. Define decency. Too many define greed as someone not willing to do with what they have to a level someone else thinks then should. I've been called greedy because I oppose being forced to fund social welfare programs, oppose Obamacare, prefer to invest my money the way I see fit rather than be forced to contribute to a social security program, oppose the free tuition for community college plan thrown around by the Democrats, etc. In other words, I've been called greedy and selfish because I don't think one person owes another person a damn thing in life and those calling me that do.

Define greed. Define decency. Too many define greed as someone not willing to do with what they have to a level someone else thinks then should. I've been called greedy because I oppose being forced to fund social welfare programs, oppose Obamacare, prefer to invest my money the way I see fit rather than be forced to contribute to a social security program, oppose the free tuition for community college plan thrown around by the Democrats, etc. In other words, I've been called greedy and selfish because I don't think one person owes another person a damn thing in life and those calling me that do.
Greed is living your life with the main mission being to amass a super abundance of resources, and your secondary mission being a friendly guy and living a life of love and neighborly kindness. That does not mean opening your wallet, it means working 50hrs instead of 80 and spending some time raising your family and less time obsessing over amassing resources.

Less importance is on the family then ever before, and more importance on career.

Towards what end? Its empty.

No, this is not Obama.

One guy can't do that.

could be I guess. I believe the article is talking more about him abusing his power as President
His presidency is essentially a symptom of the culture war.

you mean the way he's been treated? meh... its not excusable, imo. though i suppose if you extrapolate it out to it's barest essentials, you'd be correct.

No, this is not Obama.

One guy can't do that.

you mean the way he's been treated? meh... its not excusable, imo. though i suppose if you extrapolate it out to it's barest essentials, you'd be correct.
Whatever works for ya.

No, this is not Obama.

One guy can't do that.

true fact. I see what you mean.

I was just reading this if anyone is interested:
SNIP;

This Culture War We're In
Posted by Daniel Greenfield @ the Sultan Knish blog 43 Comments
How are wars won?

To win a war you don't need to kill every soldier on the other side. What you need to do is destroy the other army as an organized force. You destroy the ability of the officers to command and the morale of the men. You destroy their perception of the worth of their side and of their own self-worth.

All wars are culture wars. To win you must destroy the values of the other side. (That is one reason why we're losing to Islam no matter how many times we beat them on the battlefield.) You must destroy their sense of purpose and the values instilled in them to break them as an organization.

That is what the left has been doing to us.

ALL of it here:
Sultan Knish This Culture War We re In

Forum List

Back