Heads up! Literally! Meteor Shower Tuesday AM

What better way to ring in Earth Day this year than with a swarm of shooting stars?

The 2014 Lyrid meteor shower is expected to peak in the early morning on Tuesday, April 22, from midnight until dawn -- it will continue to be visible through April 25.

Who will have the best view? Skywatchers in the Northern Hemisphere will be treated to a better show than those in the Southern Hemisphere, according to NASA. And while this year's "last quarter moon" may make it harder to spot less bright meteors, don't worry -- the agency is scheduled to stream a live broadcast of the meteor shower tonight beginning at 8:30 pm EDT -- just check it out above.

"This is not one of the top meteor showers of the year like the Perseids and the Geminids, still the Lyrids produce around 20 meteors an hour, and they are moderately fast--coming in at 110,000 miles per hour," Slooh astronomer Bob Berman said in a webcast advisory, according to Space.com. "That's about 30 miles per second, which is nearly 60 times faster than a rifle bullet."

I watched last year and it was fantastic.

I have never seen a meteor shower but I will be paying attention to this event. Thanks for the link, Gracie. I think it is possible we could see an asteroid hit this part of the hemisphere in our lifetime too.

I'll be in the backyard on my lounge chair with a warm blankey. IF the fog lifts.

Damn fog. Can't see a damn thing. I guess I will go to bed.

What better way to ring in Earth Day this year than with a swarm of shooting stars?

The 2014 Lyrid meteor shower is expected to peak in the early morning on Tuesday, April 22, from midnight until dawn -- it will continue to be visible through April 25.

Who will have the best view? Skywatchers in the Northern Hemisphere will be treated to a better show than those in the Southern Hemisphere, according to NASA. And while this year's "last quarter moon" may make it harder to spot less bright meteors, don't worry -- the agency is scheduled to stream a live broadcast of the meteor shower tonight beginning at 8:30 pm EDT -- just check it out above.

"This is not one of the top meteor showers of the year like the Perseids and the Geminids, still the Lyrids produce around 20 meteors an hour, and they are moderately fast--coming in at 110,000 miles per hour," Slooh astronomer Bob Berman said in a webcast advisory, according to Space.com. "That's about 30 miles per second, which is nearly 60 times faster than a rifle bullet."

I watched last year and it was fantastic.

Exactly. Other than a light show it will not affect anyone.

I hope a meteor lands close to me, those things are worth a lot of dough.........

I saw a video showing a guy who flies a tiny lighter than air low to the ground, searching for meteorites which he sell for big bucks. Seemed like a fun way to make a living.

There there was the guy who lives out in the desert and collects ants for educational ant farms. He used an ordinary straw to suck them up and then blow them into a container. He said he had to learn (the hard way?) the exact moment to stop sucking and start blowing.

Apparently, both these guys made really good money.

Forum List

Back