Heating and AC , You're screwed

Or the low-juice LED traffic lights they installed widespread in Minnesota and Wisconsin that got completely covered in snow and ice BECAUSE there was not "wasted heat"... Had to install heaters. True story..

BS comparison.
That's true of all things in the northern tier states. Even car & truck engines that generate heat by design require an external source of heat during the winter months in that neck of the woods.
Naah, not for decades. Modern engines will start unaided at -25 or colder.

You're funny, just like modern anti-lock brakes work fine on icy roads.
Or that six pack of beer you forgot to bring in won't freeze.

Or that "hot water" self serve car wash won't freeze on contact with the surface of your car.

Fuck liberals, I purchased a government regulated low flow shower head at Home Depot and drilled a big ass hole in the low flow restrictor with my cordless drill, eat it libs! :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:
I bought a low-flow showerhead over 20 years ago...I like it so much that I have brought it with me when I moved, twice. I wish I could find another like it, but I think the company went under.
I'm curious, what prevents you from turning down the shower valve?

Many shower valves have just one knob that adjusts temp not flow.
All the ones I've run into push/pull for volume. I wouldn't have one that couldn't but then again I know how to do the work.

BTW -- in the winter -- your house and thermostat don't care if that BTU came from the furnace or a 400 Watt light fixture. And with incandescents the energy either went to photons or to heat. So the heat was never wasted when your thermostat was in heat cycle. Now even in Tenn -- my HVAC is set to heat 7 months of the year and 2 more months where it's essentially OFF. Leaving a mere 3 months of peak cooling. So even with that math -- in MOST states in the US -- the Incandescent was GREATLY maligned for "wasting" anything. In fact, I've got a buddy that does builder energy certification and NOW they have new charts and tables to reflect the missing "heat load" from switching to LED lighting.
CFLs are another thing. The government rammed them down our throats, turns out they are a disposal hazard and didn't light up for shit when cold. Or dimable. Along comes the greedy capitalists and offer us LEDs just a few short years later. They come on full power right away, dimable, run dirt cheap and run cool to the touch and are getting cheaper to purchase by the day. CFLs are already obsolete in my opinion.

CFLs have been around for thirty years. They work fine in the cold...I have been using them outdoors for twenty!

Bullshit! 20 years it was 1997 and there were no CFL bulbs available at hardware stores. They only popped up on shelves about 6 or so years ago.

Bullshit yourself. I was USING CFLs 20 years ago! They had been around for several years even then. I don't have it anymore (left it when I moved), but I had an even-older 22W circular CFL that probably dated to the 80's. (I remember my grandmother using a similar one when I was in school...and I have been married 21 years.)

BTW -- in the winter -- your house and thermostat don't care if that BTU came from the furnace or a 400 Watt light fixture. And with incandescents the energy either went to photons or to heat. So the heat was never wasted when your thermostat was in heat cycle. Now even in Tenn -- my HVAC is set to heat 7 months of the year and 2 more months where it's essentially OFF. Leaving a mere 3 months of peak cooling. So even with that math -- in MOST states in the US -- the Incandescent was GREATLY maligned for "wasting" anything. In fact, I've got a buddy that does builder energy certification and NOW they have new charts and tables to reflect the missing "heat load" from switching to LED lighting.
CFLs are another thing. The government rammed them down our throats, turns out they are a disposal hazard and didn't light up for shit when cold. Or dimable. Along comes the greedy capitalists and offer us LEDs just a few short years later. They come on full power right away, dimable, run dirt cheap and run cool to the touch and are getting cheaper to purchase by the day. CFLs are already obsolete in my opinion.

CFLs have been around for thirty years. They work fine in the cold...I have been using them outdoors for twenty!
Florescent bulbs take time to come on fully. Yes, they work but there's a better solution now.

Yes...they may take a second or two indoors...maybe 5-10 seconds in extreme cold. My CFL porch light and driveway lights would turn on in 5 seconds and be full brightness in 30 in sub-freezing temperatures.

Bullshit! 20 years it was 1997 and there were no CFL bulbs available at hardware stores. They only popped up on shelves about 6 or so years ago.

Bullshit yourself. I was USING CFLs 20 years ago! They had been around for several years even then. I don't have it anymore (left it when I moved), but I had an even-older 22W circular CFL that probably dated to the 80's. (I remember my grandmother using a similar one when I was in school...and I have been married 21 years.)
They were around then but very expensive. As far as I know they are all spiral shaped. Compact Florescent Lighting.

Florescent bulbs take time to come on fully. Yes, they work but there's a better solution now.

Yes...they may take a second or two indoors...maybe 5-10 seconds in extreme cold. My CFL porch light and driveway lights would turn on in 5 seconds and be full brightness in 30 in sub-freezing temperatures.
I want to see the thief in one second.

Fuck liberals, I purchased a government regulated low flow shower head at Home Depot and drilled a big ass hole in the low flow restrictor with my cordless drill, eat it libs! :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:
I bought a low-flow showerhead over 20 years ago...I like it so much that I have brought it with me when I moved, twice. I wish I could find another like it, but I think the company went under.

Many shower valves have just one knob that adjusts temp not flow.
All the ones I've run into push/pull for volume. I wouldn't have one that couldn't but then again I know how to do the work.

Having machinist skills comes in handy :badgrin:

The fact that many showerheads simply don't work properly with reduced pressure, especially when my wife is trying to wash her long hair.

Also, when I bought it, I couldn't...the shower was on or off, no way to turn the flow "down".

Whatever you do, don't order a pillow online they quote the shipping charges for the government warning labels separately, that's how many warning labels are attached. :bang3:

Or the low-juice LED traffic lights they installed widespread in Minnesota and Wisconsin that got completely covered in snow and ice BECAUSE there was not "wasted heat"... Had to install heaters. True story..

BS comparison.
That's true of all things in the northern tier states. Even car & truck engines that generate heat by design require an external source of heat during the winter months in that neck of the woods.

Or that "hot water" self serve car wash won't freeze on contact with the surface of your car.

Modern ABS works well, though many older systems did not. Good beer will not freeze until below 15 degrees. Nobody mentioned a car wash. Are you in the right thread?

You guys I think are on the same side...
Why the animosity toward one another?

I do agree cfl's have been available for longer than that , we used them. They had a screw in adaptor, and did not fit most lamp shades. . My husband loves getting all the latest and greatest. Lol

They were around then but very expensive. As far as I know they are all spiral shaped. Compact Florescent Lighting.

This is a newer one, but the basic design has changed little since the 80's:
Circular_CFL1.JPG

They've had tubes and candle shapes for awhile, now. They have had them sealed in outside reflectors, also.

Yep, they had to "modify" our first one.

BS comparison.

Modern ABS works well, though many older systems did not. Good beer will not freeze until below 15 degrees. Nobody mentioned a car wash. Are you in the right thread?

This is a newer one, but the basic design has changed little since the 80's:
Circular_CFL1.JPG
They've had that design around for a long time but used ballasts as far as I know. You can get LEDs now that are even dimable, use even less energy and last longer. Mark my words, cfls will soon be history.

BS comparison.

You were talking 25 below zero. Sorry but you have no clue.

As I say, hubby had to try the latest and greatest. Lol we had them for our outside carriage lamps. Now everything is led, two colors at that. The first ones out actually didn't last, or some didn't (thanks he) We now have cool white (only color out at first) and soft white mixed in our bathrooms, which I hate.

SKC5CWW.jpg
They've had tubes and candle shapes for awhile, now.
I haven't seen a candle shaped florescent. I guess I never will now.

Exactly, turns out the supposed safer refrigerant was not more efficient or so safe and newer systems have been having issues quicker then then the former.
My suggestion is to buy the older refrigerant on Amazon $27-$30 a can not 100 from AC co and have your certified AC friend or company fill the system this at least saves 50% + on the freon costs as the A/C guy doubles or more the already excessive cost of freon.
Or if you have some experience from car freon installations learn home AC on Youtube get a license $50-$65 and do it yourself.
All you need are cheap leak detectors under $20. and metalic bonding compound to repair found leaks, manifolds (pressure reader) under $30 that read your type of freon, and a temp gauge for the hi and lo line.

Great idea. I think I'll also check on the DIY appendectomy kit too. What could go wrong?
Do you call an electrician to replace a wall switch? A plumber to unclog a drain, maybe?

Of course not. That would be as stupid as voting for a reality show host for president.

Forum List

Back