Heating and AC , You're screwed

Sounds like crap. Maytag products suck.

My 1972 Maytag washer/dryer set is chugging along fine. I've replaced the heating element in the dryer once, that's all.

Yeah, they're not making them like that anymore.

If/when mine dies, I'm looking for an old one. Last one lasted 20+ years.

I am still using my old Kenmore...if it finally dies, I will probably get a HE front-loader. My mother has one, and it is superb.
Those front load he washers are pretty cool. The only reason I don't like 'em is because they don't get my clothes clean.
Operator error, pretty much 100% of the time.

I'm curious, what prevents you from turning down the shower valve?

I never use full force when taking a shower. 90% of good clean water just goes down the drain. I keep the shower as low as possible and only turn it up when I rinse my hair. Water is expensive here, and I was telling my nephew how I would like to design a shower head that has an on/off chain. You don't need water running while you're soaping up or washing your hair, you only need it for rinsing.
Dang. We are drowning in water here. I take hotel showers.

I have five apartments--one in which I live. My water and sewer bills for one month is over $400.00. In total, we have 8 people and one baby that live here. So I try to conserve water as much as possible, and I installed water saving shower heads in all my apartments except mine.
The closest to what I have seems to be the High Sierra...if they work as well as mine...try one. My 1.5-gallon showerhead passes a test many high-flow showerheads fail utterly: washing my wife's knee-length hair.

My 1972 Maytag washer/dryer set is chugging along fine. I've replaced the heating element in the dryer once, that's all.

I am still using my old Kenmore...if it finally dies, I will probably get a HE front-loader. My mother has one, and it is superb.
Those front load he washers are pretty cool. The only reason I don't like 'em is because they don't get my clothes clean.
Nope. They use lukewarm water with no agitation. Garbage.

Ditched my he LG front loader last year (had for 7 years) for a Speed Queen (made in USA) top loader and magically, my clothes are clean! In half the time.

Ditched my he LG front loader last year (had for 7 years) for a Speed Queen (made in USA) top loader and magically, my clothes are clean! In half the time.
Yep. Same here. In my case the Samsung lost it's ability to sense the load so spun violently. Tested all the sensors so it had to be the mobo. No longer available after eight years. Plus I discovered the Samsung's spider arms were corroding and would have broken due to powder soap being trapped and eating away. Not enough water to flush it through.

I never use full force when taking a shower. 90% of good clean water just goes down the drain. I keep the shower as low as possible and only turn it up when I rinse my hair. Water is expensive here, and I was telling my nephew how I would like to design a shower head that has an on/off chain. You don't need water running while you're soaping up or washing your hair, you only need it for rinsing.
Dang. We are drowning in water here. I take hotel showers.

I have five apartments--one in which I live. My water and sewer bills for one month is over $400.00. In total, we have 8 people and one baby that live here. So I try to conserve water as much as possible, and I installed water saving shower heads in all my apartments except mine.
The closest to what I have seems to be the High Sierra...if they work as well as mine...try one. My 1.5-gallon showerhead passes a test many high-flow showerheads fail utterly: washing my wife's knee-length hair.

I never liked them. I've tried several in the past. But my tenants are not so cautious with water usage. After all, it comes with the rent. But I do conserve water because I'm the one writing checks every month for it.

Missouri Legislature Bans UN Agenda 21

Alabama To Agenda 21: Get Lost

It's a real thing, they've by and large been beaten back already.

Doesn't mean they won't keep trying.

For instance, pushing unrealistically efficient HVAC mandates.
Is there some reason you cannot address the things I've stated? Or do you want to keep standing on a soap box and pontificate your dogma to the world? This isn't some Japanese monster movie:
"The Narcissists vs Carbon Zero"

That is many, many years down the road and by then, we will be using a different kind of fuel. What that might be we do not know, but it has to come at it's own time.
Why wait? The sooner we get off fossil fuel, the better.

Agreed, when it can be replaced by something with just as much power, just as plentiful, just as economically sound as fossil fuels. But right now, there is nothing like that.

BS comparison.
That's true of all things in the northern tier states. Even car & truck engines that generate heat by design require an external source of heat during the winter months in that neck of the woods.
Naah, not for decades. Modern engines will start unaided at -25 or colder.

You're funny, just like modern anti-lock brakes work fine on icy roads.
Or that six pack of beer you forgot to bring in won't freeze.

Or that "hot water" self serve car wash won't freeze on contact with the surface of your car.

Modern ABS works well, though many older systems did not. Good beer will not freeze until below 15 degrees. Nobody mentioned a car wash. Are you in the right thread?

You were talking 25 below zero. Sorry but you have no clue.
Nobody mentioned beer. ABS was never mentioned. Only you mentioned a self-serve car wash. I repeat: are you in the right thread?

You set the table at 25 below zero. I was just telling you what it's like at that temperature. Knowledge you are clearly lacking in.

Agreed, when it can be replaced by something with just as much power, just as plentiful, just as economically sound as fossil fuels. But right now, there is nothing like that.
There's solar, there's wind, there's hydro, hell, there's even rabbit turds.

All of which lack either power, reliability, or cost effectiveness.

Solar is very expensive and you depend on nice sunny days to get enough power to run your home. It's a bad investment that will never pay off. Same with wind. It's a very expensive investment and offers no real return. By the time you create enough electricity to break even on the investment, the thing breaks down and it's very costly to repair. And again, unreliable since it only works when it's windy, and if you have too much wind, it shuts down in effort to protect it from being damaged.

Electric cars? What's the point? It takes fossil fuels tho create the electricity to run it. If you need a charge overnight, and the power goes off, you are going to piss off your boss trying to explain why you can't get to work. If your car is low on electricity, and you end up sitting in a traffic jam for a couple of hours with the AC or heat blowing, your car is just going to stop working and you're going to need a tow.

Solar is very expensive and you depend on nice sunny days to get enough power to run your home. It's a bad investment that will never pay off. Same with wind. It's a very expensive investment and offers no real return. By the time you create enough electricity to break even on the investment, the thing breaks down and it's very costly to repair. And again, unreliable since it only works when it's windy, and if you have too much wind, it shuts down in effort to protect it from being damaged.

Electric cars? What's the point? It takes fossil fuels tho create the electricity to run it. If you need a charge overnight, and the power goes off, you are going to piss off your boss trying to explain why you can't get to work. If your car is low on electricity, and you end up sitting in a traffic jam for a couple of hours with the AC or heat blowing, your car is just going to stop working and you're going to need a tow.
You can get an 850W solar system for about $10K. And there are many utility companies that will subsidize your install costs up to 50%. Payback time is about 8 years.

Wind turbine set ups start at 2KW and cost anywhere from $10 - $70K. The approximate payback time is about 6 years.

Granted, the systems are still a little pricey, but once they reach their payback dates, you don't pay anymore utility bills, ever. Or your bills are very small, if the systems periodically go down from time to time. If you reduce your carbon footprint, that should be enough to meet your energy needs.

As far as cars, you can plan your route ahead of time and I doubt you would run out of power over night, unless there was a blackout, which don't happen all that often.

So like I said, you don't care that your DDT policies would kill millions. Liberals backed those polices, so you want them gone, even though you know millions would die.

Conservative ignorance is as immoral as genocide, being it tends to have the same effects.

Your ignorance about DDT is typical of uninformed Progressives. You're happy to cost hundreds of millions of lives just so you do not have to concede to being WRONG. Rachel Carson was tragically wrong. Not much different than the false narrative put forth by Ralph Nadar and his fatal attack on the Corvair other than Nadar's mistake didn't cost hundreds of millions of lives.

You can get an 850W solar system for about $10K. And there are many utility companies that will subsidize your install costs up to 50%. Payback time is about 8 years.

Wind turbine set ups start at 2KW and cost anywhere from $10 - $70K. The approximate payback time is about 6 years.

Granted, the systems are still a little pricey, but once they reach their payback dates, you don't pay anymore utility bills, ever. Or your bills are very small, if the systems periodically go down from time to time. If you reduce your carbon footprint, that should be enough to meet your energy needs.

As far as cars, you can plan your route ahead of time and I doubt you would run out of power over night, unless there was a blackout, which don't happen all that often.
I go to the State Fair green display every yr to check prices,,,see if there is anything worth considering. Last yr they had the Tesla SUV and their solar array for full house is still over 20K

That's been done.

Here you go: Shower Head,Water-Saver by LDR INDUSTRIES, INC | eBay

You push the tab back and forth to turn water on/off.

Them things suck. When My washer dies, I'll go down to the used appliance store and pick out the oldest one in the best shape I can find. My clothes get clean. I also have 2 taken-apart clothespins jammed into the ratchet system of the agitator.

Works great! :2up:

Or the low-juice LED traffic lights they installed widespread in Minnesota and Wisconsin that got completely covered in snow and ice BECAUSE there was not "wasted heat"... Had to install heaters. True story..

Oh! You mean those traffic lights that you can't see on sunny days? We have them here too!

Are you sure you aren't having eye issues?

Forum List

Back