Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

I said she had no choice. What time did you start drinking today?

Of course she had a choice. She could have worked for a private school or been a religious objector. But she did not. Which is fine and dandy, except you are barking about "union shills". Does that make her one or what?

Of course she had a choice. She could have worked for a private school or been a religious objector. But she did not. Which is fine and dandy, except you are barking about "union shills". Does that make her one or what?
Bullshit. Go fuck yourself, kunt.

I'm still gobsmacked...had lunch with some teacher coworkers yesterday. They are still chatting about how people should get their vaccines so as not to SPREAD the disease. I'm sitting there thinking, how is it possible for us to be so deeply into 2022 and these people with Master's degrees still think the vaccines prevent transmission? Yet here we are. The power of our mass media.
I have PhD. students (and a retired Computer Science professor) that are unable to separate trash and garbage from recyclables. Few know how to flatten a shipping box. Almost none know how to read the apartment building instruction notices. Most lose their copy of the lease within a day.

These are our future leaders? :omg:

I'm a free market gal. I think the answer to that question is: are we attracting people to the job for that salary.

We are not. Not even in middle Tennessee. Young people are not going into teaching. And I will tell you: it's no longer about the benefits either. They have slashed my teacher benefits to the point that both my kids, working in Corporate America just out of college (ages 25 and 23), get better benefits than I do.
Don't most corporations consider a college degree as window dressing? Isn't the knowledge that a new employee brings minimal at best? Don't the companies teach them what they really need to know to become a productive employee? If so the 'commercial value' of their formal education isn't that great, which of course would reflect on the value of their teachers.

Some here think 37 grand is something that will attract peoe to a job. See the disconnect here? They want passion, American values, and rigor. "Take pride in your work" is their battle cry. Then they say" nobody wants to work anymore". Which is not true whatsoever. Want a worker then pay up.
If I were starting out at $37,000 I would do $45,000 worth of work for the company. But that's just me. :biggrin:

Don't most corporations consider a college degree as window dressing? Isn't the knowledge that a new employee brings minimal at best? Don't the companies teach them what they really need to know to become a productive employee? If so the 'commercial value' of their formal education isn't that great, which of course would reflect on the value of their teachers.
Depends on the major. If you want a career in engineering, the employer will require engineering knowledge acquired in college. They aren’t going to take someone off the street and teach them engineering.

Were you a teacher, working 16-18 hours per day on average?

What if you are married? Are you going to live as a threesome in a one bedroom apartment or two bedroom with no privacy and sharing a single bathroom?

What was your electrics bill, water bill and food expenses? How much was a gallon of gas?

Yeah, that temp works is great since there is usually mandatory teacher training throughout the summer. What type of work could a teacher do? Fast food?

This is 2022. Get out of the 70s please!
My 8th grade science teacher worked for a landscape company during the summer. My History teacher worked for the city Lake Safety Patrol manning a telescope as a 'spotter'. My English teacher, who was an 'operatic' singer was involved in professional musical productions in the summer. This was back in the 1950's.

Exactly! That‘s how you move up, and get the promotion that DOES pay $45,000.

I tend to take over any job I get and improve it. My employer is my 'nominal' supervisor, but the job itself is the real boss.

It has worked so well for me that I am now overpaid for what I do. :)

Of course she had a choice. She could have worked for a private school or been a religious objector. But she did not.
Transparency Sue.

What grade do you teach.
How many Years?

Public school you have been transparent. Yes or No.

Do you currently teach with Known "Groomers"?????

Yes, how dare people think they should have a living wage and be able to live decently!

We need to all work harder to make the rich richer and not complain about it.
Just starting out almost no one I knew lived alone, unless they were renting a 'room'. I shared apartments and rental houses with others until I got married, at age 32. I did rent a single room once but only until a three-bedroom apartment opened up and I had roommates once again to share costs. It always worked out well and I saved a lot of money over those years.

Admiral 1. Lisa. 0. There's the "someone should be doing that job" mentality.
It's worse than that. Many of "those jobs" were created to take advantage of a glutted labor market. Those huge western and southern fruit and vegetable farms are a prime example.

Just starting out almost no one I knew lived alone, unless they were renting a 'room'. I shared apartments and rental houses with others until I got married, at age 32. I did rent a single room once but only until a three-bedroom apartment opened up and I had roommates once again to share costs. It always worked out well and I saved a lot of money over those years.
Everyone I knew did it that way too. Nothing wrong with sharing. In my family:

Mom - lived with her parents after graduation until she got married a few years later

Dad - rented a bedroom in someone’s house until he and Mom got married

Sibling - rented a room in a townhouse

Me - shared an apartment

New college graduates, with no or minimal job experience, are not entitled to a salary that allows them to rent their own apartment. They need to build up to that.

If I were starting out at $37,000 I would do $45,000 worth of work for the company. But that's just me. :biggrin:

This is a big problem with teaching though. Makes no difference if you do 37K worth of work or 45K worth of work. Your pay raises are based solely off years of service and maybe if you have a Master's which you can get if your IQ is room temp.

In other words, a system only liberals could love.

Transparency Sue.

What grade do you teach.
How many Years?

Public school you have been transparent. Yes or No.

Do you currently teach with Known "Groomers"?????

So what really cranks your gears here? Your loyalty to the unions or what?

The public school unions suck. Chiefly, the NEA and the AFT. You want more? What do you want? To personally attack me because I swiped at the Precious Unions?

no.

Everyone I knew did it that way too. Nothing wrong with sharing. In my family:

Mom - lived with her parents after graduation until she got married a few years later

Dad - rented a bedroom in someone’s house until he and Mom got married

Sibling - rented a room in a townhouse

Me - shared an apartment

New college graduates, with no or minimal job experience, are not entitled to a salary that allows them to rent their own apartment. They need to build up to that.

Next up: you're not entitled to a new car; you're not entitled to a yearly vacation. You're not entitled to eat meat daily; you're not entitled to ever eat meat, or own a car, or take a vacation.

To all of this, no. In a free market, capitalist system people can decide what they're "entitled" too. Thank God.

Forum List

Back