Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

Next up: you're not entitled to a new car; you're not entitled to a yearly vacation. You're not entitled to eat meat daily; you're not entitled to ever eat meat, or own a car, or take a vacation.

This is all true. One has to earn those things.
To all of this, no. In a free market, capitalist system people can decide what they're "entitled" too. Thank God.

Not sure what you mean, but capitalist system people don’t feel they’re entitled to anything that they haven’t earned.

Yes, how dare the working class have nice things.... they all need to slave away for the investor class, and holy shit, why is the working class rising up trying to kill us!!!!

Not sure what you mean, but capitalist system people don’t feel they’re entitled to anything that they haven’t earned.

Um, okay, let's look at that... 1% of the population has 43% of the wealth. They did NOT do 43% of the physical labor to EARN that 43% of the wealth. This means- wait for it- that someone in the working class DID do the physical or mental labor to create that wealth and DIDN'T GET their share of the wealth.

You typed "they need to build up to that". Frankly, that's your opinion. And that might even be the way it works in most cases. But if a college grad is smart, picks the right major, makes him or herself desirable as an employee and picks the right place to live, having their own place is very doable. I did it on a teacher's salary, for pity's sake. Our daughter is doing it now in a major city. She graduated college in April.

They way you did it is not the way EVERYONE must do it. Your experience is not everyone's, not even in the same nation. That's freedom. Again. Thank God for it.

This is a big problem with teaching though. Makes no difference if you do 37K worth of work or 45K worth of work. Your pay raises are based solely off years of service and maybe if you have a Master's which you can get if your IQ is room temp.

In other words, a system only liberals could love.
I'm sure that teaching doesn't allow time for a second job/income. In my case I was able to buy and manage an apartment building that has provided a nice second income.

You typed "they need to build up to that". Frankly, that's your opinion. And that might even be the way it works in most cases. But if a college grad is smart, picks the right major, makes him or herself desirable as an employee and picks the right place to live, having their own place is very doable. I did it on a teacher's salary, for pity's sake. Our daughter is doing it now in a major city. She graduated college in April.

They way you did it is not the way EVERYONE must do it. Your experience is not everyone's, not even in the same nation. That's freedom. Again. Thank God for it.
But you seem to think that new young grads are ENTITLED to do it the way you did. NONE of my friends’ children was able to afford their own place upon graduation, and NONE of my friends were either. (Actually, one was - but that was after law school.)

It is most common for young people just starting out to have to share. If some don‘t have to, great for them. But teachers shouldn’t feel ENTITLED to be paid enough to do so right out of the starting gate, when young adults getting jobs in corporate America (me), scientific organizations (my dad), and my sibling (also corporate) had to share.

Why do you think young teachers, who only work 10 months a year, deserve to live better than other college grads who work year-round?

Yes, how dare the working class have nice things.... they all need to slave away for the investor class, and holy shit, why is the working class rising up trying to kill us!!!!

Um, okay, let's look at that... 1% of the population has 43% of the wealth. They did NOT do 43% of the physical labor to EARN that 43% of the wealth. This means- wait for it- that someone in the working class DID do the physical or mental labor to create that wealth and DIDN'T GET their share of the wealth.
Building wealth involves sacrificing those nice things for a time.

Workers can build wealth as well, if that's what they want.
True. But I believe most people are satisfied if they can build up to the point where they own a nice home, take an enjoyable vacation every year, buy groceries with no problem, and fill up the car without angst.

(Unfortunately, that is all becoming more difficult under Biden. It’s unreal how quickly we have gone backwards, and his inflation-increasing act is making it worse.)

But you seem to think that new young grads are ENTITLED to do it the way you did. NONE of my friends’ children was able to afford their own place upon graduation, and NONE of my friends were either. (Actually, one was - but that was after law school.)

It is most common for young people just starting out to have to share. If some don‘t have to, great for them. But teachers shouldn’t feel ENTITLED to be paid enough to do so right out of the starting gate, when young adults getting jobs in corporate America (me), scientific organizations (my dad), and my sibling (also corporate) had to share.

Why do you think young teachers, who only work 10 months a year, deserve to live better than other college grads who work year-round?

Maybe our housing is out of reach now. Maybe the cost of living is just too high in too many places.

Also--teachers have absolutely no flexibility. I don't know anyone who must be on the job 8-4 every day and can not scoot out for appts or whatnot. If anything, this is becoming MORE prevalent, not less. If teachers would work year round on our schedule of 45 minute lunches, no flex time, etc--we would need exceedingly more personal days. Who's going to cover that? We can't get subs as it is. I need two days off for a "routine test" later this month--done in the summer because I can't afford two days in the school year. Again, no subs, no flexibility.

To reiterate what I have said: the market is dictating how much of a job teaching is. If it were such a cushy job for 10 months, college grads would line out the door to do it.

See the title of this thread.

True. But I believe most people are satisfied if they can build up to the point where they own a nice home, take an enjoyable vacation every year, buy groceries with no problem, and fill up the car without angst.

(Unfortunately, that is all becoming more difficult under Biden. It’s unreal how quickly we have gone backwards, and his inflation-increasing act is making it worse.)
Your career choice has limited the 'American Dream' for you for sure. :(

Your career choice has limited the 'American Dream' for you for sure. :(
Why would you say that? The American Dream IS a nice home, a nice vacation, plenty of food, etc., etc.

In my case, it’s an upscale townhouse in an affluent area of town, vacations that are things like a cruise through the Greek Islands or a 2-week tour of Israel (staying in 5-star hotels), a late model car, dining out at decent restaurants, an occasional evening at the theater, etc., etc. (Of course, the Dems are intent on destroying that, but that’s another topic.) Why is that not an enjoyable lifestyle to work toward attaining, and then enjoying it when I have?

Why would you say that? The American Dream IS a nice home, a nice vacation, plenty of food, etc., etc.

In my case, it’s an upscale townhouse in an affluent area of town, vacations that are things like a cruise through the Greek Islands or a 2-week tour of Israel (staying in 5-star hotels), a late model car, dining out at decent restaurants, an occasional evening at the theater, etc., etc. (Of course, the Dems are intent on destroying that, but that’s another topic.) Why is that not an enjoyable lifestyle to work toward attaining, and then enjoying it when I have?
I just saying that one's career choice (and other lifestyle choices) dictates one's standard of living to a large degree.

I just saying that one's career choice dictates one's standard of living to a large degree.
That’s true. I could have been a lawyer if I wanted, and earned $500,000 a year, but I wanted a more satisfactory (to me) work:life balance. I had a satisfactory career that I enjoyed, and provided me enough to live what is a comfortable upper-middle class life.

Working to become wealthy comes with its own price tag.

I have PhD. students (and a retired Computer Science professor) whoge are unable to separate trash and garbage from recyclables. Few know how to flatten a shipping box. Almost none know how to read the apartment building instruction notices. Most lose their copy of the lease within a day.

These are our future leaders? :omg:
The Put-Down "Grammar Nazi" Is Designed by the Deciders to Cover Up the Failure of the Educational System That They Mandate

"Smart in school, dumb in common sense" is a half-truth designed by the influencers to get us to concede that college graduates at least deserve the jobs they are given. They don't, and they are not "smart in school," either. Their defective knowledge of grammar, logic, and history is proof that College Education Is a Fraud and Should Not Be Rewarded.

Don't most corporations consider a college degree as window dressing? Isn't the knowledge that a new employee brings minimal at best? Don't the companies teach them what they really need to know to become a productive employee? If so the 'commercial value' of their formal education isn't that great, which of course would reflect on the value of their teachers.
Screwed by the Scrooges

The economic bullies see a college degree as proof that the job applicant is just the slave they want to sadistically push around, because he was willing to sacrifice four or more of the best years of his life just to work for them.

Working to become wealthy comes with its own price tag.
Owners Aren't Earners

Refusing to demand the wealth you deserve also carries a price tag. Employee-inventors should unionize and go on strike until they get 50% of the revenue of the products only they could have invented.

That grand larceny by the plutocratic parasites can't help but dampen the enthusiasm of geniuses to continue with what they have created for the rest of us. Science is for suckers, unmanly nerd doormats who proved their useless slavishness by working without pay in college all those years.

They could have cured cancer 50 years ago if they had been offered the proper reward. It is against human nature to do something for "the challenge" or "for the love of science." But the corporate parasites know that the public doesn't realize what it's missed by allowing them to own a man's work.

Education proports to prepare people for the future.
How do they know what the future is going to look like?
Aren't they really preparing people for the present?

"Education" today is more about liberal enlightenment than conferring useful knowledge. Back in the day if one didn't attend college they were deemed "ignorant".

Back in the day if one didn't attend college they were deemed "ignorant".
Fake Conservatives Use Their Enemy's Grammar

Well, it is ignorant to use "they" with "one" as its antecedent. Ironically, that comes directly from the ambitious imbeciles who graduate from college. Most of them, despite their GPAs, had no more right to be in college than they had to be on their college's football team, which is based on recruited talent and not brown-nosing in order to steal a job they have no right to.

Forum List

Back