Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

Fake Conservatives Use Their Enemy's Grammar

Well, it is ignorant to use "they" with "one" as its antecedent. Ironically, that comes directly from the ambitious imbeciles who graduate from college. Most of them, despite their GPAs, had no more right to be in college than they had to be on their college's football team, which is based on recruited talent and not brown-nosing in order to steal a job they have no right to.
You mean “a job to which he or she has no right.”

Principal would have 100-150 applicants for a single elementary job in the 90s. Now has 5 applicants and most applied for both jobs. This is in Wisconsin.

When schools are short-staffed they have "other teachers cover" which means teachers lose planning time and lunch, which only adds to burn out and more lost teachers. What a mess.

Wow, you mean that after years of the right wing DEMONIZING teachers, no one wants to sign up to be a teacher anymore.

Amazing!

In related news, water is wet.
Gee, Joey! You mean after years of liberal teachers getting away with teaching things to kids that their parents had no idea about...Covid's "remote learning" let parents get a first hand look at what was being taught in our public schools and they were livid?
So now teachers are being told they need to teach not preach and they're not happy about it? Perhaps this will be the start of people other than liberals going into teaching so our schools turn out something other than the illiterates we have now?

It's hard to believe, but school starts in late July in some areas, early August in some
When I went to grade school in the public school system, we usually got out around June 5 and went back after Labor Day.

Nothing personal, but I never thought much of the government educating people, and I know its far worse now.

Thank God I had parents that got me out of public school after six years of hell.

When I went to grade school in the public school system, we usually got out around June 5 and went back after Labor Day.

Nothing personal, but I never thought much of the government educating people, and I know its far worse now.

Thank God I had parents that got me out of public school after six years of hell.

I hear you, and believe you.

The mistake people often make is thinking the "public schools" are either all wonderful or all atrocious. They are both, and mix in abysmal too. Same with private and charter schools, to be honest. Some are great and some suck. That's why I'm a supporter of vouchers.

The problem we have now is the public schools are dissolving like so much else in this nation with not much else to take their place. Already we have four day weeks in many districts and/or weeks without busing because districts can't get staff and teachers.

Gee, Joey! You mean after years of liberal teachers getting away with teaching things to kids that their parents had no idea about...Covid's "remote learning" let parents get a first hand look at what was being taught in our public schools and they were livid?

They were more livid about losing their free day care. If they were that clueless about what their kids were learning, then they probably weren't that involved to start with.

So now teachers are being told they need to teach not preach and they're not happy about it? Perhaps this will be the start of people other than liberals going into teaching so our schools turn out something other than the illiterates we have now?

Or they'll start hiring people with no qualifications and have even worse results.

They were more livid about losing their free day care. If they were that clueless about what their kids were learning, then they probably weren't that involved to start with.

Or they'll start hiring people with no qualifications and have even worse results.
You consider school to be "free day care"? That's going to be news to all the Americans who pay taxes every year on their homes to PAY for that "free day care"! (eye roll)

Money won’t solve the problem. In Northern Virginia, teachers reach $100k easily - and that’s with summers off. Yet they are still having trouble filling positions, and that’s because of all the leftist “woke” shit making teaching a very unattractive career option.

I wouldn’t do it for $200k.

Money won’t solve the problem. In Northern Virginia, teachers reach $100k easily - and that’s with summers off. Yet they are still having trouble filling positions, and that’s because of all the leftist “woke” shit making teaching a very unattractive career option.

I wouldn’t do it for $200k.

Taking Loudoun County Public Schools in Norther Virginia as an example:

Bachelors - Even with 30 years doesn't reach 100K (OK at 30 years they break the 99K mark)
Masters - Breaks 100K at 28 years (99K at 27 years)
Doctorate - Breaks 100K at 22 years (99K at 21 years)

So to say teachers make 100K "easily" isn't true it take decades of experience for any teacher to qualify for a 100K salary.

WW

Taking Loudoun County Public Schools in Norther Virginia as an example:

Bachelors - Even with 30 years doesn't reach 100K (OK at 30 years they break the 99K mark)
Masters - Breaks 100K at 28 years (99K at 27 years)
Doctorate - Breaks 100K at 22 years (99K at 21 years)

So to say teachers make 100K "easily" isn't true it take decades of experience for any teacher to qualify for a 100K salary.

WW
It takes decades of work for most college grads to cross the $100k mark as well - as those people work the entire year. Looking at the chart, it looks like many are in the 90s after 20 years, and that means people in the early 40s are closing in on $100k.

It takes decades of work for most college grads to cross the $100k mark as well - as those people work the entire year. Looking at the chart, it looks like many are in the 90s after 20 years, and that means people in the early 40s are closing in on $100k.

I don't disagree. My post was because you said that crossing 100K in norther Virginia was "easy". Decades of combined education and work experience though isn't "easy".

It's just a symptom though of both sides of the teacher salary discussion. Those that think teachers are overpaid will point to school systems with high teacher salaries, ignoring that typically those are very high cost of living areas. Those that think teachers are underpaid will point to school system with low teacher salaries, ignoring that typically those are relatively low cost of living areas.

Teacher compensation is a regional issue based on market forces (supply and demand) and how that compensation stacks when looking at that compensation in terms of paying the bills in that area.

WW

I don't disagree. My post was because you said that crossing 100K in norther Virginia was "easy". Decades of combined education and work experience though isn't "easy".

It's just a symptom though of both sides of the teacher salary discussion. Those that think teachers are overpaid will point to school systems with high teacher salaries, ignoring that typically those are very high cost of living areas. Those that think teachers are underpaid will point to school system with low teacher salaries, ignoring that typically those are relatively low cost of living areas.

Teacher compensation is a regional issue based on market forces (supply and demand) and how that compensation stacks when looking at that compensation in terms of paying the bills in that area.

WW
People will point to the salaries depending on the local environment, true. And I will amend my word “easy” (to reach $100k) to “typical,” for an average college grad. In fact, I think it’s actually quite good for a college grad in their early 40s to have reached six figures, as many have not - and never do.

It is also important to factor in that the pay is for 10 months a year, with summers off. Most people get three weeks off every year, so an entire summer to travel is a very attractive aspect of the job and needs to be considered when evaluating compensation.

….also, a teacher can always teach summer school, adding another several thousand dollars to the yearly salary.

….also, a teacher can always teach summer school, adding another several thousand dollars to the yearly salary.

No they can't.

We have 1500 teachers. Summer school teachers number is about 225. And for us, summer school is 1/2 day for about 15 days and is a very targeted remedial process. So to think that all teachers can just work summer school - that is incorrect, it's actually a pretty small number of total teachers. Also (in my division) summer school teachers are paid a fixed hourly rate that is currently $5.00 BELOW the starting rate (on an hourly basis) of a first year teacher.

So like the idea that making 100K is easy, a closer look at summer school does not mean that a teachers going to make 2 months more of pay at their regular salary. The don't.

WW

No they can't.

We have 1500 teachers. Summer school teachers number is about 225. And for us, summer school is 1/2 day for about 15 days and is a very targeted remedial process. So to think that all teachers can just work summer school - that is incorrect, it's actually a pretty small number of total teachers. Also (in my division) summer school teachers are paid a fixed hourly rate that is currently $5.00 BELOW the starting rate (on an hourly basis) of a first year teacher.

So like the idea that making 100K is easy, a closer look at summer school does not mean that a teachers going to make 2 months more of pay at their regular salary. The don't.

WW
They can work a different job then. My point is it isn’t correct to compare the salary of someone working the entire year with someone working only 10 months (in addition to the winter and spring week-long breaks).

There is a big misconception that teachers, of all college-educated professionals, are the most underpaid. I remember decades ago being at a Democrat fundraiser (I switched parties so no longer go to them) when one of the attendees was telling me how awful it was to expect teachers to live on $70,000 a year, which was near the top back then. My salary was $65,000 at the time, and I was quite comfortable with my income, but I didn’t want to disclose my income to him.

When my younger son graduated high school, at the ceremony they made an enormous fuss over a girl who received their "social justice award" . They were all beaming from ear to ear. Meanwhile, the boy who got a full ride scholarship to study physics at Yale was not mentioned at all.

That is today's schools in a nutshell, folks.

They can work a different job then. My point is it isn’t correct to compare the salary of someone working the entire year with someone working only 10 months (in addition to the winter and spring week-long breaks).

There is a big misconception that teachers, of all college-educated professionals, are the most underpaid. I remember decades ago being at a Democrat fundraiser (I switched parties so no longer go to them) when one of the attendees was telling me how awful it was to expect teachers to live on $70,000 a year, which was near the top back then. My salary was $65,000 at the time, and I was quite comfortable with my income, but I didn’t want to disclose my income to him.

Again I don't disagree.

If I were Emperor I'd change the total education system away from the current agrarian. I would:
  • Open schools on a year round basis,
  • Teachers would become 12-month employees (with 2 additional months, pay would increase by about 20%),
  • 12-month Teachers would accrue "vacation" time just like other 12-month employees.
  • There would be 3 semesters per year, teachers work full time, students get a short 1-week break between semesters:
    • 2 Primary
    • 1 Secondary
    • 1/3 each of teachers and students would be assigned to "cohorts" split between the 3 semesters for rotation and balancing purposes.
  • Core classes will be conducted during the primary semesters, elective and remedial instruction would occur during the secondary semester.
  • Teachers would be responsible for scheduling vacation time just like other 12 month employees.
  • During the secondary semesters teachers would:
    • Provide remedial instruction to students under performing in core subjects,
    • Attend professional development,
    • Update curriculum,
    • Or schedule vacation time from the amount they have accrued.
Just MHO of course. Never going to happen.

WW

Again I don't disagree.

If I were Emperor I'd change the total education system away from the current agrarian. I would:
  • Open schools on a year round basis,
  • Teachers would become 12-month employees (with 2 additional months, pay would increase by about 20%),
  • 12-month Teachers would accrue "vacation" time just like other 12-month employees.
  • There would be 3 semesters per year, teachers work full time, students get a short 1-week break between semesters:
    • 2 Primary
    • 1 Secondary
    • 1/3 each of teachers and students would be assigned to "cohorts" split between the 3 semesters for rotation and balancing purposes.
  • Core classes will be conducted during the primary semesters, elective and remedial instruction would occur during the secondary semester.
  • Teachers would be responsible for scheduling vacation time just like other 12 month employees.
  • During the secondary semesters teachers would:
    • Provide remedial instruction to students under performing in core subjects,
    • Attend professional development,
    • Update curriculum,
    • Or schedule vacation time from the amount they have accrued.
Just MHO of course. Never going to happen.

WW
I would love to see something like this - and your suggestion re primary and secondary sessions is excellent. After all, the original reason for having summers off was because schools were not air-conditioned, and by June the classrooms were just too hot for any real teaching/learning to go on.

But you’re right…ain’t never going to happen.

I would love to see something like this - and your suggestion re primary and secondary sessions is excellent. After all, the original reason for having summers off was because schools were not air-conditioned, and by June the classrooms were just too hot for any real teaching/learning to go on.

But you’re right…ain’t never going to happen.

Sorry to disagree.

Summers off was not due to schools not being air-conditioned. Summers off are based on an agrarian society (agricultural) and the children needing to be off for summer work on the farms. The agrarian based schedule precedes the development of air conditioning.

WW

Forum List

Back