Here’s the song: where in time and place are you transported to?

1976: I’m a college freshman at an East Coast university, far away from home, and it’s the Friday night after the first week of classes. I join my new friends at a bar a few blocks from campus. I have just set off on the first “adult” chapter in my life, and I know it, and this starts to play. I can still picture the table where I sat.

The Boxer? Transports me back to around 1970 riding in my dad's car listening to the tinny AM radio.

Senior in HighSchool. Local Alternative radio station played that song a lot. Some great songs by those two.

1976: I’m a college freshman at an East Coast university, far away from home, and it’s the Friday night after the first week of classes. I join my new friends at a bar a few blocks from campus. I have just set off on the first “adult” chapter in my life, and I know it, and this starts to play. I can still picture the table where I sat.

On the way to a dentist appointment. I was apprehensive not fond of going to the dentist. It soothed me some.

Traveling the state of Washington in a van, camping and fishing and sightseeing. That was back when Washington was still worth seeing.

I was in a record store in Vincennes, Indiana, where I was going to college, when I first heard this song. Since I'm from western Kentucky, I got chills when I heard the opening lines.

Forum List

Back