Heroic virtue of Ukrainian bishop who sheltered hundreds of Jews recognized

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Vatican City, Jul 17, 2015 / 03:12 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- On Thursday, Pope Francis authorized a decree recognizing the heroic virtue of Archbishop Andrey Sheptytsky, who was head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church from 1900 to 1944, and who personally protected dozens of Jews from Nazi occupiers during World War II.

The Pope's July 16 audience with the prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints also recognized the heroic virtue of seven other potential saints, who will now be called 'Venerable'.

“During this time of foreign aggression against Ukraine – as well as turmoil in so many other historically Eastern Christian lands – this recognition brings particular consolation,” Fr. Peter Galadza, acting director of the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies, stated July 17. “Archbishop Sheptytsky demonstrated saintly courage when he sheltered more than 160 Jews during the Nazi Holocaust.”

Venerable Andrey Sheptytsky was born as Roman Aleksander Maria Sheptytsky in 1865 to a polonized family of Ukrainian heritage, who were Roman Catholics. He was born in a village 30 miles from Lviv, which was then part of the Austrian Empire.

He entered the Order of St. Basil, associated with the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, taking the name Andrey (Andrew), and was professed in 1889. In 1892, he made solemn profession and was ordained a priest.

In 1899 he was consecrated a bishop, and appointed Bishop of the Ukrainian Eparchy of Stanislaviv (now Ivano-Frankivsk). Then in 1901 he was appointed Metropolitan Archbishop of the Ukrainian Eparchy of Lviv, making him head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. He maintained his position until his death on Nov. 1, 1944, at the age of 79.

His time as Metropolitan Archbishop was marked by conflict with and persecution by the successive governments that ruled Ukraine, including the Russian Empire, the Second Polish Republic, Nazi Germany, and the Soviet Union.

Under the Russian Empire, he was jailed from 1914 to 1917 for his pro-Ukrainian position and his promotion of Catholicism. The Second Polish Republic twice held him for supporting an independent Ukrainian state and for opposing Latinization.
Heroic virtue of Ukrainian bishop who sheltered hundreds of Jews recognized Catholic News Agency CNA

Here is a little more information on Sheptysky:
http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pages\S\H\SheptytskyAndrei.htm

He was an interesting guy.

Yes, I was just talking about that today. The Vatican ran both sides of WWII by hiding Jews so that in case Hitler - their faithful Catholic son and enforcer - failed to accomplish a victory for them and obtain a new world order free of Jews and Protestants - they could always tell the world that they were behind the attempt to "save Jewish Lives" rather than be exposed for what they were really doing. Committing mass genocide against them - over 6 1/2 million dead because of the Roman Catholic Vatican. The Roman Vatican were the master minds behind WWII. The holocaust was in reality a Roman Catholic Inquisition. I just need to set the record straight for you on that, Disir. Nothing personal but as 6 1/2 million Jews cannot speak up for themselves? Someone has to set the record straight.

You may find it funny, Jake, but I find it to be the most vile, evil acts ever committed by an organization "pretending to be a church". The Roman Catholic Institution has more blood on its hands than any other organization on earth and I believe they are just warming up for their "next Inquisition" which will be the mother of all Inquisitions! I do not trust this pope and I cannot express my concern strongly enough for the Jews and people in Israel he hopes to win over. They should not let their guard down under any circumstances!!!

The Vatican does nothing without an agenda. Why this story at this particular time? Because they want to cause the Jews to believe they are "their friends" - "their protectors"! They should no more trust this Vatican or its pope than they would Hitler were he alive today. It is insanity to trust these people after all that has been done. Nothing has changed. Absolutely nothing.

There's an interesting documentary about sheltering Jews during WW2 called Hiding and Seeking: Faith and Tolerance After the Holocaust. The story is of this Hasidic man (the filmmaker) who raises his sons are devout Jews who think pretty much everyone who isn't Jewish is just out to get the Jews. They (the dad and the sons) go to Poland and meet the family who sheltered the grandfather and his kin throughout the war. The grandfather lives, goes to America, and forgets the promises he made to send money back to the Poles. When asked why they sheltered the Jews when it would be certain death to do so, the Polish farmers flat say it was both the right thing to do and because they needed the help on the farm and the promised money the Jew would supposedly send, but mostly because it was the right thing to do.

What got me was when they asked both the Jewish grandfather and the grandsons if they would have sheltered the Poles, they said no because everyone is against the Jews.

Here's a clip:

There's an interesting documentary about sheltering Jews during WW2 called Hiding and Seeking: Faith and Tolerance After the Holocaust. The story is of this Hasidic man (the filmmaker) who raises his sons are devout Jews who think pretty much everyone who isn't Jewish is just out to get the Jews. They (the dad and the sons) go to Poland and meet the family who sheltered the grandfather and his kin throughout the war. The grandfather lives, goes to America, and forgets the promises he made to send money back to the Poles. When asked why they sheltered the Jews when it would be certain death to do so, the Polish farmers flat say it was both the right thing to do and because they needed the help on the farm and the promised money the Jew would supposedly send, but mostly because it was the right thing to do.

What got me was when they asked both the Jewish grandfather and the grandsons if they would have sheltered the Poles, they said no because everyone is against the Jews.

Here's a clip:

Interesting story, Steven. The movie isn't available. Is there any other video available? How do you feel about this knowing these two men would not have reciprocated the same way had it been the Polish farmers? Would you - knowing in advance - still do the right thing as these farmers did and save their lives? Or would you refuse to on the grounds it would not be reciprocated?

The movie used to be available on Netflix. You can check there.

Now, would I have sheltered Jews, knowing I was putting my family at risk in the process? I'd like to think so, but until faced with that situation, there is no way for me to say for certain. IF I did it, it wouldn't be on the expectation of any payment or thanks or anything of the sort, it would be because it would be the right thing to do. But the Poles in the film do bring up that they didn't even get so much as a postcard letting them know the Jews were doing alright in America. And for the Jewish family (grandsons and grandkids), they didn't seem to be bothered by that.

Here's a clip:

Thanks. That is interesting. I'm going to see if I can't find it on Netflix.

Yes, I was just talking about that today. The Vatican ran both sides of WWII by hiding Jews so that in case Hitler - their faithful Catholic son and enforcer - failed to accomplish a victory for them and obtain a new world order free of Jews and Protestants - they could always tell the world that they were behind the attempt to "save Jewish Lives" rather than be exposed for what they were really doing. Committing mass genocide against them - over 6 1/2 million dead because of the Roman Catholic Vatican.

As a catholic german with jewish roots I heard about. The Nazis invited priests in the concentration camp Dachau to be their guests. In Dachau was the greatest convention of priests of the catholic church the world ever had seen.

The Roman Vatican were the master minds behind WWII. The holocaust was in reality a Roman Catholic Inquisition. I just need to set the record straight for you on that, Disir. Nothing personal but as 6 1/2 million Jews cannot speak up for themselves? Someone has to set the record straight.

You would perhaps be astonished if I would say to you now "Nazi" if you would be a German. Jeremiah - what to do with you? Your intentional ignorance fills libraries.

Last edited:
You may find it funny, Jake, but I find it to be the most vile, evil acts ever committed by an organization "pretending to be a church". The Roman Catholic Institution has more blood on its hands than any other organization on earth and I believe they are just warming up for their "next Inquisition" which will be the mother of all Inquisitions!

In one day of the french revolution for example were more people executed than in 500 years were executed from the inquisition.

I do not trust this pope

Astonishing. You would trust a pope if it would not be this pope.

and I cannot express my concern strongly enough for the Jews and people in Israel he hopes to win over. They should not let their guard down under any circumstances!!!

A Jew who trusts in Christians is an idiot - a Jew who trusts in Muslims is an idiot - a Jew who trusts in Atheists is an idiot - a Jew who trusts in others is an idiot - even a Jew who trusts in Jews is an idiot and a Jew who trusts in no one is a worse idiot too. There are not many trustful antiidiotically ways for Jews, except maybe to become a nobel price winner or something like this.

The Vatican does nothing without an agenda.

So what? The Vatican is doing nothing with an agenda too.

Why this story at this particular time? Because they want to cause the Jews to believe they are "their friends" - "their protectors"! They should no more trust this Vatican or its pope than they would Hitler were he alive today. It is insanity to trust these people after all that has been done. Nothing has changed. Absolutely nothing.

Yea - don't trust me, antibrother. I could nail nails in your bed and execute you because you converted to be a fakir. And don't forget: I'm a German: I think what I say and say what I think - or not - completly independent how idiotic it is. What about if you would start to try to find out on your own what's true and fake in this world here?

Yes, I was just talking about that today. The Vatican ran both sides of WWII by hiding Jews so that in case Hitler - their faithful Catholic son and enforcer - failed to accomplish a victory for them and obtain a new world order free of Jews and Protestants - they could always tell the world that they were behind the attempt to "save Jewish Lives" rather than be exposed for what they were really doing. Committing mass genocide against them - over 6 1/2 million dead because of the Roman Catholic Vatican.

As a catholic german with jewish roots I heard about. The Nazis invited priests in the concentration camp Dachau to be their guests. In Dachau was the greatest convention of priests of the catholic church the world ever had seen.

The Roman Vatican were the master minds behind WWII. The holocaust was in reality a Roman Catholic Inquisition. I just need to set the record straight for you on that, Disir. Nothing personal but as 6 1/2 million Jews cannot speak up for themselves? Someone has to set the record straight.

You would perhaps be astonished if I would say to you now "Nazi" if you would be a German. Jeremiah - what to do with you? Your intentional ignorance fills libraries.

No it doesn't but I am sure as a Catholic you'd like to believe that, Z. The truth is I already know about Catholic priests and nuns who were in the concentration camps. These were the ones that were not willing to go along with the Vatican agenda - those who were? Were enjoying life on the outside and some were guards in the camps exercising their authority and power over those who refused to sell their souls for it. It is what it is and I can tell you that to this day those who priests and nuns who attempt to expose the truth about the evil that goes on? Are put away in places where they can be examined for mental health problems - indefinitely. The RCC is as evil as it gets. Perhaps you already know it. Perhaps you don't.

Yes, I was just talking about that today. The Vatican ran both sides of WWII by hiding Jews so that in case Hitler - their faithful Catholic son and enforcer - failed to accomplish a victory for them and obtain a new world order free of Jews and Protestants - they could always tell the world that they were behind the attempt to "save Jewish Lives" rather than be exposed for what they were really doing. Committing mass genocide against them - over 6 1/2 million dead because of the Roman Catholic Vatican. The Roman Vatican were the master minds behind WWII. The holocaust was in reality a Roman Catholic Inquisition. I just need to set the record straight for you on that, Disir. Nothing personal but as 6 1/2 million Jews cannot speak up for themselves? Someone has to set the record straight.
:eusa_eh:

The movie used to be available on Netflix. You can check there.

Now, would I have sheltered Jews, knowing I was putting my family at risk in the process? I'd like to think so, but until faced with that situation, there is no way for me to say for certain. IF I did it, it wouldn't be on the expectation of any payment or thanks or anything of the sort, it would be because it would be the right thing to do. But the Poles in the film do bring up that they didn't even get so much as a postcard letting them know the Jews were doing alright in America. And for the Jewish family (grandsons and grandkids), they didn't seem to be bothered by that.

That is fair enough and I thank you for your honesty, Steven. As for the Poles in the film - I have to wonder how they treated the Jews who they were protecting - were they treating them no differently from their own family members or were they acting as plantation owners who ruled over the slaves who served them during the days when slavery was permitted. I am not saying that was the case - but one must wonder.

The Jewish people I have known in my life have always been more grateful, more kind natured, more loving and family oriented than the Gentile people I've met in my life (my own family included) although I would have to add with the exception of two I met recently who shall go un-named. (perhaps they are not Jews at all but trolls - who knows) On the subject of this story - I look forward to seeing the story on the video - maybe that will shed some light on it. Then again - maybe not.

:eusa_eh:

Why do you have a swastika over a rainbow flag? What is that all about?

You may find it funny, Jake, but I find it to be the most vile, evil acts ever committed by an organization "pretending to be a church". The Roman Catholic Institution has more blood on its hands than any other organization on earth and I believe they are just warming up for their "next Inquisition" which will be the mother of all Inquisitions!

In one day of the french revolution for example were more people executed than in 500 years were executed from the inquisition.

I do not trust this pope

and I cannot express my concern strongly enough for the Jews and people in Israel he hopes to win over. They should not let their guard down under any circumstances!!!

A Jew who trusts in Christians is an idiot - a Jew who trusts in Muslims is an idiot - a Jew who trusts in Atheists is an idiot - a Jew who trusts in others is an idiot - even a Jew who trusts in Jews is an idiot and a Jew who trusts in no one is a worse idiot too. There are not many trustful antiidiotically ways for Jews, except maybe to become a nobel price winner or something like this.

Why this story at this particular time? Because they want to cause the Jews to believe they are "their friends" - "their protectors"! They should no more trust this Vatican or its pope than they would Hitler were he alive today. It is insanity to trust these people after all that has been done. Nothing has changed. Absolutely nothing.

Yea - don't trust me, antibrother. I could nail nails in your bed and execute you because you converted to be a fakir. And don't forget: I'm a German: I think what I say and say what I think - or not - completly independent how idiotic it is. What about if you would start to try to find out on your own what's true and fake in this world here?

Wrong. I do not trust any Pope - you people had a success of 80 popes (if I recall the number correctly) which one after another came up with more monstrous ways to torture Protestants, Jews, and non believers in order to force them into Catholicism. It went on for over 605 years! 605 years of the Inquisitions - hell on earth - because of the Roman Catholic Institution who wanted to play God. How can you remain in such a cult? You need to get out of there or you'll be in hell one day!

Here's a clip:

Okay I saw it, Steven_R ... First let me say this. The Jewish man they hid openly admitted they didn't behave as others did. They left and forgot it. They didn't stay in touch with them or send them a post card. Obviously he wanted to move on - he wanted to forget it. Also - this is a religious Jew - they do not have anything to do with Gentiles. He and his family went on with their lives. He is asked would he do the same. Why would he do the same? He is a religious Jew and he would take care of his own family and would not risk their lives over Gentiles - that is all there is to it - didn't you see the plastic on the chairs the grandson was seated on one of them.

This is this man's life - he believes his faith as he understands it - he is not thinking about matters of the heart - he cannot even fathom it because that is not his upbringing and what has he got to do with the Gentiles? Nothing. He was hard pressed in a matter and forced to be in need of a Gentile for protection. It is bad enough it happened but to remember it and keep the thought alive would not be a consideration to him.

Now the whole truth was left out of the story and also that he says these people did receive money from him and that they also promised them the world in exchange for being kept safe there in their barn. It was a time of war - they did what they had to do. Had the Gentiles said, Never, we will never accept a penny - we will not offer unto God that which cost us nothing - we will finance this entire affair from start to finish. It is our turn to bless you. (that may have been enough to cause this religious Jew to remember).

The woman with the green scarf. She obviously expected something for having saved their lives - I do not bear witness in my spirit that this woman is Christian - she is of a very hardened countenance - not soft countenance of a Christian woman - something isn't right - I do not feel good about her - she makes it sound like a chore - it was the greatest blessing God ever poured out on her and her families lives - to take care of this Jewish family and to be clear - I would not have accepted a penny from them and lost my blessing - I would have never accepted a penny - the honor would have been all mine.

This is nothing more than a misunderstanding of one person's world vs another which is why the grandsons do not feel compelled to thank the Gentile family either - but as I said before - how this Jewish family were cared for is something none of us can know because we were not there and the Jewish man in keeping with his own faith will never say an unkind word about them even if there was much that went wrong.

I have a dear friend who is a direct descendant of the prophet Samuel and her great grandfather was taken advantage of in a business matter and he kept it a secret never letting anyone know because he would not bring dishonor to another person even when they had done him wrong. That is holiness. That is how some Jews are. Very holy unto the LORD in such matters of not speaking about anything that would be unkind or misunderstood. They would take it to their grave first. In my friends grandfathers case - the person who did him wrong confessed the wrong he had done to him and that is how the family learned of it. The grandfather went to his grave never having mentioned it once.

This may be difficult to fathom but there are Christians and Jews who have never in their lives spoken an unkind word to anyone. I know of another woman - she survived Auschwitz concentration camp, she lost her family. She told me something once that will stay with me forever. She said, I have never hated anyone in my life. She told me that some years ago. She said, I have never hated anyone in my life. This is a woman who suffered the most horrendous of sufferings in Auschwitz losing her father whom she loved deeply and she never hated anyone in her life? Not the guards, not those who mistreated her and murdered her family. She never hated anyone in her entire life. That is holiness.

It is a blessed thing to be able to keep one's heart from hating, Steven.

I believe you would have taken them in, expecting nothing in return and you would have taken very good care of them. That is what I believe would have happened because you said, that is what you'd hope you would do. What you set in your heart to do before it happens is what will happen when the time comes. It is good to think about such things often and purpose it in our hearts to do the right thing.

I have one more story. A Pastor friend of mine years ago shared a story with me about his not having been recognized at a large church event where someone gave a speech and never mentioned him. He had been deeply hurt over it.

This Pastor who was not mentioned had done a great deal to help this individual and yet there was no mention of his name. No. Not once. He went to the LORD in prayer about it and asked the LORD. LORD, he said, why was it that this person never mentioned my name in the speech and did give me no thanks for what I had done for him? I feel deeply hurt.

The LORD responded, who would you rather receive your reward from?
Them? or me?

Last edited:

No it doesn't but I am sure as a Catholic you'd like to believe that, Z. The truth is I already know about Catholic priests and nuns who were in the concentration camps. These were the ones that were not willing to go along with the Vatican agenda - those who were?

You know less than nothing very loud, that's all. Lots of members of the jewish part of my families were murdered from Nazis. It were for sure not the bishops of the catholic church which entered and left continously the headquarters of Hitler and his criminal gang.

Were enjoying life on the outside and some were guards in the camps exercising their authority and power over those who refused to sell their souls for it.

One moment please. Solar system, third planet , middle of Europe, 1933-1945: The Vatican sended guards for the concentrsion camps of the Nazis? What was the Wewelsburg in your view on your not existing world? An outpost of the Vatican?

It is what it is

Said the tin box to the lamb.

and I can tell you that to this day those who priests and nuns who attempt to expose the truth about the evil that goes on? Are put away in places where they can be examined for mental health problems - indefinitely. The RCC is as evil as it gets. Perhaps you already know it. Perhaps you don't.

When the time of the Nazis was over some few hundred Jews survived the shoa here in Germany. All others had to flee or were murdered. And as a descendant of one of this Jews I would suggest you should think about a brain transplantation. But with what? What yon say is just simple hateful nonsense. If someone would repplace then word Cathoioc with the word Jew in your sayings then you would be a perfect Nazi. The only exception: Nazis did not speak respectful about god and Poland - the catholic nation what became the first victim of the imperial agressions of the Nazis.

I do not trust this pope

Wrong. I do not trust any Pope - you people had a success of 80 popes (if I recall the number correctly) which one after another came up with more monstrous ways to torture Protestants, Jews, and non believers in order to force them into Catholicism. It went on for over 605 years! 605 years of the Inquisitions - hell on earth - because of the Roman Catholic Institution who wanted to play God. How can you remain in such a cult? You need to get out of there or you'll be in hell one day!

Your problem is that you don't know what you are speaking about and that you ignore the reality of today all around. The USA is for example a nation what's using torture. Your knowledge about the inquisition is maybe in the same quality like your knowledge about Count Dracula. Sure the inquisition made mistakes - heavy mistakes - torture is for example one of this mistakes - but In the reality lots of people often preferred to be judged from the inquisition and not from other institutions of their times, because the inquisiton was often very soft too. compared within their times with others. The inquisition is comparable today maybe with the supreme Courts.

Last edited:

No it doesn't but I am sure as a Catholic you'd like to believe that, Z. The truth is I already know about Catholic priests and nuns who were in the concentration camps. These were the ones that were not willing to go along with the Vatican agenda - those who were? Were enjoying life on the outside and some were guards in the camps exercising their authority and power over those who refused to sell their souls for it. It is what it is and I can tell you that to this day those who priests and nuns who attempt to expose the truth about the evil that goes on? Are put away in places where they can be examined for mental health problems - indefinitely. The RCC is as evil as it gets. Perhaps you already know it. Perhaps you don't.

The Vatican agenda was to keep the church in place instead of being tossed out of the country. Many Catholics, including bishops and other clergy, died at the hands of the nazis.

The Vatican agenda was to keep the church in place instead of being tossed out of the country. Many Catholics, including bishops and other clergy, died at the hands of the nazis.

Wrong. The Vatican agenda was a New World Order without Jews or Protestants - they annihilated 6 1 /2 million Jews using their Jesuits for Nazi officers and Hitler was their faithful Roman Catholic son, Hitler said, Himmler was his Ignatius Loyola. WWII was an inquisition not a war. Wake up! They are not finished yet! This Jesuit pope has an agenda he has not begun to reveal yet! His inner circle may know but the world is clueless. Those who are in Christ are not clueless. The RCC is an Anti-Christ system. It has nothing to do with Christianity other than its quest to wipe it off the face of the earth!

Forum List

Back