Hey, 99 Percenters, You Call This 'Fair'?

A study by the New York City Independent Budget Office was released this week, and you didn't hear much about it in the mainstream media because it hurts their candidate's message.

Keep in mind, I'm your Conservative Everyman. I'm no economist, nor am I a political scientist. I call 'em as I see 'em just like you do. And away we go...

New York City has a little more than 8 million residents. Of those many millions, 1% -- ONE PERCENT -- pays 43% of the income taxes. You know how many people that works out to? About 35,000 people.

Picture in your mind's eye the City of New York, not just Manhattan, but all five boroughs. Imagine the throngs here right now enjoying the holidays. Think about the police presence, the sanitation, the schools brimming with children...East Side, West Side, The Village -- a hell of a town! 8 million people!

Now imagine Yankee Stadium, or any average Major League ballpark, and fill it except for the nosebleed seats. That tiny number pays almost HALF the operating costs for the city. How's THAT for fair?

Another kick in the head is that ten percent of New Yorkers pay 71% of the taxes. Guess how much income it takes to crack that ten percent?You don't have to be one of the millionaires or billionaires whom the Divider in Chief loves to vilify. You need not be an evil fat cat making $200,000 -- perish the thought! What's it take to crack the top ten percent in the most expensive city in America? $105,000. Yep, a buck five.​

And in NYC, 105K is by no means wealthy. A family of four with an income of 105K living in Brooklyn is prety much just making ends meet.

They still paid 61% of the taxes, dipstick.

That's the bottom line. Anyone who claims "that isn't sufficient" is simply a scumbag class warrior and a thief.

What's your point? The premise of the OP is that they pay too much and it's 'Unfair.' What, do you advocate a regressive tax?[/QUOTE]

I advocate abolishing the income tax and adopting the fair tax. The income tax is nothing short of plunder and robbery.

If you want to help the poor, nothing is stopping you from writing them a check.

If you're looking to take something you didn't earn away from someone else, yes. You're lazy, and I don't give a shit WHAT else you do with your day. You're also greedy and selfish. There is no excuse that makes it moral or okay to take things that don't belong to you, and your mother should have told you that before you got old enough to vote your immorality into public policy.

So you believe that it was immoral to draft men into the military in World War II, to take their lives away from them in many cases?

Yes. Exactly.

Yes, so some other schmo can take the job they left while the big picture and overall disparity changes not a lick.

Indeed.

You do realize that there is a progression in employment and income don't you? I started out as a teenager in high school sacking groceries for $1.60 per hour. I worked there part way thru college and because I wasn't a slacker and had a good work ethic, I was given greater responsibilities and more pay. I went to work for a bank right out of college and when they switched me to full time back in 1980, they started paying me $900 a month and I thought I was living like a king. By the time I turned 28, I was making more than my dad was after 32 years in his union job. 31 years down the road, I won't tell you how much I make, but it's much better than that $900 a month back in 1980. I've never been out of work a single day of my adult life.

You make your own luck thru the choices you make. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were average kids with an idea and a dream who started companies in their garages and became part of that 1% rich bastard group. Is there disparity in income? Of course there is. Is there disparity in the length of dicks or the size of boobs? Yeah, there is. Individuals cam close their own disparity gap thru the choices they make. Using the government to take wealth from one person to give to another person in an attempt to be "fair" is pure and simple bullshit.

I think many of us have similar stories. I worked my way through college and at the end got a job in 1978 paying $12900 a year. I was able to pay my way through college working minimum wage jobs. My father put four kids through college working as a telephone lineman and never had to take out a college loan.
The american dream was available to me and my father. If you did your part and worked hard you could eke out a decent living for yourself and your family

That American dream is fading away. You can no longer pay your way through college making minimum wage. You have to go into debt to get a degree that will barely pay your loans when you get out. Kids starting out in life are offered low paying jobs with no health or retirement benefits. Married couples need two salaries to survive.
If you do not go to college, you can join the military. Our young, veteran heroes are getting out of the service with good skills but finding nobody to pay for them. Construction jobs are gone. Skilled workers try to find work at Home Depot.

No doubt, much of this is because of a bad economy. But a bad economy should affect all levels. As it is, the wealthiest one percent are still thriving. They urge those who work for them to sacrifice, work harder and make do with less........all the while seeing their own wages and incentives skyrocket

I disagree. An education is still attainable. Here is a chart of tution costs in my state. My son is a freshman at OSU where the hourly tuition rate is $236.30. It is 75 miles away, so we have room and board to pay too. On average, his education is $17K per year. We are in a position to afford it wit hthe help of $3K per year in merit scholarships. If we couldn't afford it, he could go to Oklahoma City Community College where the hourly tuition is $88.60 and he could live at home since the school is about 4 miles from our house.

Oklahoma College and University Tuition Rates - Major State and Metro-Area Schools

If my wife and I made less than $50K per year, we could have signed our son up for Oklahoma's Promise and he could go to college tuition free.

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education | Students | Oklahoma's Promise | How It Works

As far as finding a job right out of college, choice of career path is very important. We have raised our children telling them that they can be anything they want to be and to follow their dreams. Is that really the best advice we can give them? Shouldn't we tell them that if their dream is to be a performance musician, they will most likely struggle financially for the rest of their life? Sure, they have a talent, but can they turn it into pay dirt? Wouldn't it be better to minor in music and have it as a hobby that you might be able to turn into a career someday and major in a field that is in demand in today's environment? My niece is working on her doctorate in Medieval Literature and hopes to find a teaching position somewhere when she is finished with her 8 years of school. My son is in the engineering college study Fire and Safety Protection Technology and wants to be a Safety Engineer. The kids from this field are heavily courted by major companies with a need for this expertise. There are only about 200 kids in his major and last year, Conoco-Phillips hired 50 graduating seniors at a minimum of $50K starting out.

Salary, Job, and Employment Data for Health & Safety Engineers

Construction jobs are not gone. This monster is being built 2 blocks away from my office.

Peek inside the Devon Tower - KFOR

Devon Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We also have the crumbling I-40 crosstown expressway being rebuilt south of it's current location.

OKC I-40 Crosstown

The unemployment rate in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma unemployment rate unchanged in November - BusinessWeek

Life is about choices and if you think you can't, you can't. If you insist on thinking you should be given a "fair wage" for flipping a burger while the guy who went to school to learn marketable skills makes more, you won't. If you insist on living where you grew up instead of going where the work is, you'll struggle to find a good job and pay the bills.

The American dream is still attainable, if you mae the right choices. But that has always been the case, hasn't it?

The distribution of wealth in the US. If we had $100 of wealth to be divided among 100 people, here is where it goes

One person would get $34.60
Nineteen people would get $2.66
Eighty people would get 19 cents

The Conservative solution to our tax structure is that we need to make those with 19 cents worth of wealth pay more

ALL MY EYES: Wealth Distribution For Dummies

Horseshit.

You're reading commie propaganda.

No wonder you're such a moron.

So you want to raise taxes on the poor, the working class, the middle class, and everyone else who's in the not-Rich category,

to make it 'fair'.

What's new...

Who has mentioned raising taxes?

It would make sense, to me, to just stop the continual raising of taxes on the ones that already pay the majority of them.

How does "stop raising taxes" translate to wanting to raise taxes?

Since the effective total federal tax rate for the top 1% has steadily fallen since 1979 (as far back as this chart goes)

I really don't know what you're talking about - and apparently, that is something we have in common.

Historical Effective Federal Tax Rates for All Households

A study by the New York City Independent Budget Office was released this week, and you didn't hear much about it in the mainstream media because it hurts their candidate's message.

Keep in mind, I'm your Conservative Everyman. I'm no economist, nor am I a political scientist. I call 'em as I see 'em just like you do. And away we go...

New York City has a little more than 8 million residents. Of those many millions, 1% -- ONE PERCENT -- pays 43% of the income taxes. You know how many people that works out to? About 35,000 people.

Picture in your mind's eye the City of New York, not just Manhattan, but all five boroughs. Imagine the throngs here right now enjoying the holidays. Think about the police presence, the sanitation, the schools brimming with children...East Side, West Side, The Village -- a hell of a town! 8 million people!

Now imagine Yankee Stadium, or any average Major League ballpark, and fill it except for the nosebleed seats. That tiny number pays almost HALF the operating costs for the city. How's THAT for fair?

Another kick in the head is that ten percent of New Yorkers pay 71% of the taxes. Guess how much income it takes to crack that ten percent?You don't have to be one of the millionaires or billionaires whom the Divider in Chief loves to vilify. You need not be an evil fat cat making $200,000 -- perish the thought! What's it take to crack the top ten percent in the most expensive city in America? $105,000. Yep, a buck five.​

You're right, it's not fair. Since they own more than 90% of the nations wealth, they should be paying 90% of the taxes.

The last time I checked, taxes are based on INCOME, not wealth.

So you want to raise taxes on the poor, the working class, the middle class, and everyone else who's in the not-Rich category,

to make it 'fair'.

What's new...

Who has mentioned raising taxes?

It would make sense, to me, to just stop the continual raising of taxes on the ones that already pay the majority of them.

How does "stop raising taxes" translate to wanting to raise taxes?

Since the effective total federal tax rate for the top 1% has steadily fallen since 1979 (as far back as this chart goes)

I really don't know what you're talking about - and apparently, that is something we have in common.

Historical Effective Federal Tax Rates for All Households

Let it fall to Zero, like the 50% leecher class pay.. Then we'll start over.. Level it out. make it fair make it flat.

You're right, it's not fair. Since they own more than 90% of the nations wealth, they should be paying 90% of the taxes.

The last time I checked, taxes are based on INCOME, not wealth.

Thats where they dont get it.
If you tax wealth, you are double dipping.

So,

for all of you who are not rich, but want to cut taxes for the rich, whose taxes do you want to raise to make up for the lost revenue?

Your own?

So,

for all of you who are not rich, but want to cut taxes for the rich, whose taxes do you want to raise to make up for the lost revenue?

Your own?

I am not in the top 1%... but I want equal treatment and equal % per dollar earned in tax burden for all citizens... even if it 'lowers' the rate on those who earn more than me...

Because for me, it's not about envy of those who make more...

I just wrote about this on another thread. I don' care what your income is, you should pay taxes. Even welfare recipients!! Yes! Welfare! YOu fet an income you pay to live here! Everyone pays. The fact that half this country is carrying the other half is totally obsurd.

I don't care if you have to pay $100 or $200, you gotta pay. Everyone uses the education, the roads and reaps the satisfaction they are living in a secure free world. Time for the free rides should be over.

Yea, drive the poor into the ground more! They must love it when people do that.

The poor and the middle class.

As far as I am concerned, the top 1% should be paying 100% of the tax.

You own the government, then take some responsibility and PAY for it!

If you don't like it, then get your Bankster and Corporate Politicians out of our government, as well as put away your wallet and grab a bull horn like everyone else if you want to champion for various causes.

The current scheme and propaganda being espoused lately though, is how to twist it to make the other 99% pay for the privileged elite to keep the current ponzi scheme going.

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned, the top 1% should be paying 100% of the tax.

You own the government, then take some responsibility and PAY for it!

If you don't like it, then get your Bankster and Corporate Politicians out of our government, as well as put away your wallet and grab a bull horn like everyone else if you want to champion for various causes.

The current scheme and propaganda being espoused lately though, is how to twist it to make the other 99% pay for the privileged elite to keep the current ponzi scheme going.
Yeah, man! Down with the Man, man! Down with oppression, man! End the Vietnam War, man!

:rofl:

I just wrote about this on another thread. I don' care what your income is, you should pay taxes. Even welfare recipients!! Yes! Welfare! YOu fet an income you pay to live here! Everyone pays. The fact that half this country is carrying the other half is totally obsurd.

I don't care if you have to pay $100 or $200, you gotta pay. Everyone uses the education, the roads and reaps the satisfaction they are living in a secure free world. Time for the free rides should be over.

Yea, drive the poor into the ground more! They must love it when people do that.

I cant speak for where you live..but I can from where I live.

I look around and whereas people are more concenred.......they certainly dont seem to be struggling and barely feeding their families.

Are the rich living better than they used to?

Yes.

Is the middle class living worse than they used to?

No.

Who is struggling? The ones that opted to LIVE BEYOND THEIR MEANS for the past decade.

Hey....you try to spend like you are rich even though you are not rich? It is likely to catch up to you.

I am not unemployed. I own a business. But if I were to becinme unemployed? I could live for years without an income. It would suck, but I would be able to do it.

Why?

I never tried to live beyond my means.

I look around and whereas people are more concenred.......they certainly dont seem to be struggling and barely feeding their families.

Yes.

No.

Who is struggling? The ones that opted to LIVE BEYOND THEIR MEANS for the past decade.

Hey....you try to spend like you are rich even though you are not rich? It is likely to catch up to you.

I am not unemployed. I own a business. But if I were to becinme unemployed? I could live for years without an income. It would suck, but I would be able to do it.

Why?

Many people not living beyond their means are struggling. Just because you and I are doing fine does not mean that everyone is. And, living beyond your means now is not necessarily beyond what your means once were.

So,

Your own?

I'll do what is necessary, but not while 50% is sitting there contributing NOTHING to this country while reaping the rewards of living in a free country. Nor will I sit by while the rich use the loop holes and subsidies afforded them that they don't need. And they can take a hit just like me.

I will not, however let the small business people take the hit. They are the job makers of this country.

Last edited:

Yes.

No.

Why?

Many people not living beyond their means are struggling. Just because you and I are doing fine does not mean that everyone is. And, living beyond your means now is not necessarily beyond what your means once were.

As I said...I look around me. Sure...folks lost their jobs...but they are not struggling becuase they never lived beyond their means. They prepared for this day.

And if what you are living now was NOT beyond your means 5 years ago...then you must make immediate adjustments.

I know I did becuase my income dropped.....but I am not struggling....

Yeah, man! Down with the Man, man! Down with oppression, man! End the Vietnam War, man!

Ahhh yes, rather than address any of the points in my posts, you resort to an ad hominem.

Be that as it may, your attempt to brush me as some "Pot smoking, peaceful Hippy" fails Miserably.

I veer towards being an independent and for smaller government, because the LEECHES and COCKROACHES at the top would FAIL if it were not for their SUGAR DADDY propping them up. I'm for shrinking government down to 5%

Of course, these same JACK BOOT THUGS that are for the Status Quo, would call me an Anarchist, just as quick as they would call a person in favor of helping the poor via increased government spending a Socialist.

These cockroach puppets like Obama, Bush etc having their strings pulled by the Wall Street or Corporate Elite want to keep the status quo going. Not shrink the government, that is unless than can create propaganda on how to extract more wealth from the 99%.

Ahhh yes, rather than address any of the points in my posts, you resort to an ad hominem.
The only point you have is the one on top of your head. The rest is regurgitated bullshit you heard someone chant at an OWS event, and you think by repeating it, you might get laid.

However, it is entertaining to read. Please continue.

Forum List

Back