High court authorizes routine DNA collection

States vary. Maryland, the state at issue in this case, only does it for serious crimes.

The Patriot Act requires federal authorities to take DNA for any violent crimes, and not just for terroristic crimes.

You were too quick, I added that was Maryland's policy to my post. But the point is the SCOTUS ruling allows it for any arrest. I guarantee state will align their policies with this ruling. Have you ever know a police power bureaucrats didn't like?

Of course the police would like more power, and the more power they are given, the more likely they are to abuse it.

However, I do not see any substantive difference between taking a DNA swab and fingerprinting and taking a mug shot. In fact, DNA just provides a helluva lot more accuracy, which is a GOOD thing. It has freed many men from death row.

I would like to point out that the state had the DNA of those people, and convicted them anyway. The states also take the position that DNA samples cannot be used as post conviction grounds for release.

I like the fantasy world you live in, but in the real world this sucks.

that does not change the fact that fingerprints can be taken during arrest, and can be used to compare to evidence from previous crimes. DNA profiling as we currently perform it is nothing more than a higher tech more comprehensive version of the fingerprint.

You still have to leave something behind at the crime scene, just like with finger prints.
i go to a convenience store everyday. my dna is all over the place. I even show up on the security tapes everyday. I have a pistol carry permit. one day the clerk shows up shot. It must have been me right?

You can say the same thing about fingerprints. Should they need a warrant for those as well? That is the crux of the argument.

And unless you are doing naughty things in the store, your DNA is not ALL OVER THE PLACE. A hair here or there is not something they are going to find or even tie to the crime as alot of other peoples hair is here and there.

Now if you ass raped the clerk after shooting him (hypothetically of course) that would leave evidence behind (no pun intended) that would probably be the focus of a police investigation.

as i already answered before, yes i believe taking of fingerprints is abuse in many arrests. they are taken for any arrest. including non violent crimes. including peaceful protest arrests.

the clerk wasn't raped. he was just shot, not robbed, nothing. so don't go adding. your dna is all over. you sneeze, you shed hairs. you leave fabrics from your clothing naturally. you touch things. you don't have to cum on a guy to leave dna

I think it is a reasonable search similar in magnitute to a fingerprint or mug shot

Is that because you actually thought about it, or is it because you are completely ignorant about what DNA actually is?

I am quite familiar with how DNA is used in court.

Any slippery slope fantasies that are on the order of how DNA could be used outside of a criminal prosecution to clone little Hitlers in Brazil are moot.

In order to counter my point that another poster didn't actually think this through you throw out a straw man argument and declare victory? Sounds about par for the course on your debate skills.

if the government really wanted your DNA they could get it from your garbage. This is also not just random DNA taking, but for arrest for serious felonies.

Maybe they should move the point where the sample is taken from arrest to arraignment (so a person has been in front of a judge, i.e. due process) but a DNA profile test is no different than a photograph or a fingerprint, and those are allowed upon arrest.

What the fuck is wrong with you people? The police can arrest you for disorderly conduct and then take you DNA, it is not restricted to serious felonies.

By the way, it is possible to use a DNA profile to determine that someone you are related to left DNA at a crime scene. Unless you can show me how police can do that with a fingerprint and/or a mug shot there is a significant difference.

In the specific case before the court it was. Maryland only does it for violent felonies.

In the specific case before the court the court ruled that it can be used for all arrests.

Let me repeat that for the people that have trouble with English, in the specific case before the court the court ruled that it can be used for all arrests.

In other words, genius, the court expanded police powers to gather DNA to incriminate people without a warrant.

but wait? isn't the supreme court supposed to be bipartisan? do you mean to tell me we have a justice system that is influenced by who appoints them? Is that what you are trying to tell me?

Why do I have to explain this over and over again to morons who do not understand the difference between Democrat/Republican and Liberal/Conservative

so it isn't interpretation of the law as it was intended it is interpretation of the law as i want it to be.

Do you understand what a conservative judge is vs a liberal judge?

I think it is a reasonable search similar in magnitute to a fingerprint or mug shot

Is that because you actually thought about it, or is it because you are completely ignorant about what DNA actually is?

I am fully aware of what DNA is

It has individual markers just like your fingerprints or mug shot do

IF you are arrested, the following 4th amendment provisions apply

1. Unreasonable search and seisure- a DNA swap is not an unreasonable invasion of your privacy. No more so than a fingerprint

2. Probable cause- You have been arrested. Probable cause has been established

Fingerprints have individual markers that allow police to look for a person who has diabetes? Mug shots have markers that tell police a person is Jewish?

What fracking universe do you live in? DNA lets police track down all your relatives, tie you to a specific population, determine if you are susceptible to breast cancer, and can even tell them if you are adopted. None of that is available to them with a fingerprint or a mug shot.

By the way, if arrest was actually probable cause there would be no need to take a person arrested before a judge to make sure there was probable cause for the arrest.

Last edited:
Why do I have to explain this over and over again to morons who do not understand the difference between Democrat/Republican and Liberal/Conservative

so it isn't interpretation of the law as it was intended it is interpretation of the law as i want it to be.

Do you understand what a conservative judge is vs a liberal judge?

i understand the supreme court was not set up to be partisan. so why should it matter? I'm conservative, but i wouldn't support citizens united just because i am conservative.

Isn't this just another form of fingerprinting?
Can your fingerprints be patented?

DNA is. In fact, there are plenty of Medical Corporations out there that are working on Genetic Therapies and if they own the patent for YOUR DNA guess what? You have to pay them exorbitant prices for that therapy.

The Supreme Court just made it easier for the State to collect it for them. Not for you, for them.

Google DNA Patenting if you don't believe me.

Buy a gun and lots of ammo.

Or bend over and take it in the ass.

These are your choices, your only choices.

1. Unreasonable search and seisure- a DNA swap is not an unreasonable invasion of your privacy. No more so than a fingerprint

Fingerprints have individual markers that allow police to look for a person who has diabetes? Mug shots have markers that tell police a person is Jewish?

What fracking universe do you live in? DNA lets police track down all your relatives, tie you to a specific population, determine if you are susceptible to breast cancer, and can even tell them if you are adopted. None of that is available to them with a fingerprint or a mug shot.

By the way, if arrest was actually probable cause there would be no need to take a person arrested before a judge to make sure there was probable cause for the arrest.
:lol:

You've been watching to much CSI.

Most labs don't have that type of gear.

By the way..DNA can't tell what religion you are..

:cuckoo:

that does not change the fact that fingerprints can be taken during arrest, and can be used to compare to evidence from previous crimes. DNA profiling as we currently perform it is nothing more than a higher tech more comprehensive version of the fingerprint.

You still have to leave something behind at the crime scene, just like with finger prints.
i go to a convenience store everyday. my dna is all over the place. I even show up on the security tapes everyday. I have a pistol carry permit. one day the clerk shows up shot. It must have been me right?

You're the only customer, eh?

Your DNA is all over the place? Are you spitting on the floor, or something? Jacking off by the beer cooler?

Are you the only person on the security tapes? Are you the only person who visits that place and flings DNA all over the place?

Critical thinking is not your strong suit.

i thought you said you fully understood dna? I guess you don't. even simple basic thinking isn't your strong point

Pretty much. When people hear that they are taking your "DNA" some think that the state now has your entire genome for it to scrutinize and analyse.

What they actually have is a much more limited pattern of "markers" that are close to unique (from 1 in 5 million in earlier versions to 1 in 100 billion in current versions).

The DNA test says nothing about your genetic makeup, it just gives a pattern that you alone have in a given test.

No, what they actually have is your DNA. The fact that they currently do not do a complete analysis does not change the fact that they actually have it. It takes a pretty stupid person to argue that this is all they have.

Unless they decide they want to clone me a couple 1000 times to make an army of nerdy wastewater engineers, them having my DNA is not a big concern to me. I'd rather they have it if I am accused of a crime I didnt do, as it would rule me out pretty damn quickly in some cases.

I know how to plant your fingerprint at a crime scene and I am not a CSI tech. What is going to stop a dishonest cop from taking your DNA and using it to make it look like you committed a crime? Wouldn't the ability to take your DNA because you were jaywalking make that easier?

Isn't this just another form of fingerprinting?
Can your fingerprints be patented?

DNA is. In fact, there are plenty of Medical Corporations out there that are working on Genetic Therapies and if they own the patent for YOUR DNA guess what? You have to pay them exorbitant prices for that therapy.

The Supreme Court just made it easier for the State to collect it for them. Not for you, for them.

Google DNA Patenting if you don't believe me.

Buy a gun and lots of ammo.

Or bend over and take it in the ass.

These are your choices, your only choices.

james madison gave us the right to make that choice because he was fully aware of how governments gradually assume total control

Fingerprints and Mugshots are not the same thing as DNA tests.

I can see a fingerprint with my naked eye.

I can see your face with my naked eye.

Under no circumstances can I see your DNA with my naked eye. That takes special equipment with specially trained operator to reveal, and even then you are not really seeing the DNA, you are seeing test results of it.

Your fingerprints and your face are not you. They can be changed. Your DNA can not be changed. It is you forever. It even survives your death by decades if not eons. That can not be said about your face or fingerprints.

Of course the police would like more power, and the more power they are given, the more likely they are to abuse it.

However, I do not see any substantive difference between taking a DNA swab and fingerprinting and taking a mug shot. In fact, DNA just provides a helluva lot more accuracy, which is a GOOD thing. It has freed many men from death row.

Your photo deals with your outward appearance, something that is there for all the world to see. A fingerprint is left on virtually everything you touch. DNA not so much. If DNA is needed to prosecute a crime a judge will grant a warrant for its collection. A cheek swab is intrusive even if it is minimal. In my opinion it is just another chip out of the cornerstone of our civil liberties.

A cheek swab is just an intrusive as making someone roll thier fingers in ink, maybe even less so.

As a disclaimer I am a supporter of the 4th amendment when it comes to needing a warrant for things like having a dog sniff around a house, using an infrared camera to scan a house for a hot room, looking at someones garbage, searching a car, etc.

What I dont see is how a DNA profile is any different than fingerprinting. It is just a higher tech version that is not limited to the ridges on your fingers. It is a form of identification, the evidence is left behind at the crime scene.

Can you see a person's DNA with your naked eye as you can a fingerprint?

I find this post very amusing. You are clearly a person who has no clue how DNA is used for law enforcement or in the criminal justice system.

Which is why I made the Boys From Brazil reference earlier.

The American Civil Liberties Union said the court's ruling created "a gaping new exception to the Fourth Amendment."

since when did liberals hate our constitutional rights? funny how lately it is conservatives who are more interested in protecting rights.

Show me where the DNA mapping used by police from a cheek swab includes mapping for diabetes, breast cancer or religion

Are you going to claim the police are going to clone you next?

Last edited:
From the ruling, to which I linked above:
Maryland’s Act authorizes law enforcement authorities to collect DNA samples from, as relevant here, persons charged with violent crimes, including first-degree assault. A sample may not be added to a database before an individual is arraigned, and it must be destroyed if, e.g., he is not convicted.

The ruling refers repeatedly to DNA samples taken after being arrested for a violent crime. It does not address the issue of DNA samples taken for any arrest.

As I have said before on countless other threads.. Just because there is a limitation on the Government today, doesn't mean that limitation will still be there tomorrow.

It happens all the time.

I find this post very amusing. You are clearly a person who has no clue how DNA is used for law enforcement or in the criminal justice system.

Which is why I made the Boys From Brazil reference earlier.

from your previous post to me it is clear you thing you have to jack off on the guy after you shoot him for it to work :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back