🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Hillary Pushing to Eliminate Tax Deductions?

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Trump took advantage of the tax laws. So did the NY Times and GE, America's largest company and paid zero in taxes. Hillary wrote a million dollar check to herself and deducted it. The tax code provides deductions. We all use them as much as we legally can. Presumable the deductions are there because it is good policy.

If they are not good policy, where has been the bills to eliminate the deductions?

Politicians like the tax code complicated because it increases opportunities for graft. All else is posturing.

Trump took advantage of the tax laws. So did the NY Times and GE, America's largest company and paid zero in taxes. Hillary wrote a million dollar check to herself and deducted it. The tax code provides deductions. We all use them as much as we legally can. Presumable the deductions are there because it is good policy.

If they are not good policy, where has been the bills to eliminate the deductions?

Politicians like the tax code complicated because it increases opportunities for graft. All else is posturing.
Link?

Link?
I really need to link to you leftists bleating about Trumps taxes?

Link?
I'll take that as you have nothing to back up your bullshit.

Link?
You're dumber than a bag of hammers.
My apologies to hammers.

The rich will never agree to paying a fair tax rate. We might as well get over it.

Link?
You're dumber than a bag of hammers.
My apologies to hammers.
Still deflecting oh faux motor man?

Flat tax rate
First 15k untaxable
ZERO deductions

Problem solved. You could do your taxes on a postcard.

Sounds wonderfully simple, but in more complicated reality such change breeds huge numbers of winners and losers, which is why it is unrealistic.

Assuming revenue neutrality that means heavier tax burden on middle-to-upper class and less burden on the low-middle-class and the rich....then you throw out the mortgage and children deductions and you'll have something maybe just short of open revolt.

P.S. Oh and by the way that also means businesses and self-employed that file through personal taxation can't deduct expenses.

Last edited:
Flat tax rate
First 15k untaxable
ZERO deductions

I recall Trump saying he'd make the tax code so simple ....
For everyone but him, he'd get an exemption for himself and his rich buddies.
Well, it's just that Trump has turned so far from his populist anti-establishment message. He's now running more or less as a cult of personality. It doesn't matter what he says or does, or would do if elected, to his supporters.

He's really a third party candidate. And what usually happens is a third party candidate has a good issue, like Perot, but being an anti-politician he has no way to govern politically, and he becomes the brand name itself which detracts from the issue. And in Trump's case, his whole schtick is brand name.

Flat tax rate
First 15k untaxable
ZERO deductions

I would say that the threshold should be closer to 30k. As Coolidge said, there taxes should be fewer, and less people paying them.

Politicians use the tax code to make money. Politicians trade tax exemptions, deductions, etc. for a cut of the profits, campaign contributions, gifts, travel, etc. This is why after decades of people complaining about the tax code, nothing has been done.

Politicians trade your jobs to make money. Politicians cut a deal with China trading your jobs to China if China agrees to purchase billions of dollars in products from a favored corporation who will kick back money to the politicians.

Politicians use regulations to make money. Politicians dole out regulation exemptions and favors to corporations in exchange for money and kickbacks, and they use regulations to damage competing corporations who refuse to pay tribute.

Politicians use trillions in government spending to make money. Politicians trade trillions in government spending to favored corporations in exchange for money, kickbacks, and campaign contributions.

This is why we are $20 trillion in debt and nothing changes no matter which establishment party controls congress Dem's or Rep's.

I would say that the threshold should be closer to 30k. As Coolidge said, there taxes should be fewer, and less people paying them.

So how much would that flat tax rate be?
I think that would need to be determined by people smarter than us. Get a bunch of brilliant economists & mathematicians together to iron out the options then put a few plans on the desks of Congress. Let people who know mathematics do the numbers rather than politicians who's mathematical knowledge may not even surpass mine.

Forum List

Back