History Quiz

USViking said:
These answers are incorrect.

Let me repeat the question:

This Greek tyrant invited Plato to his court
to tutor him into becoming a Philosopher-King.

Their relationship deteriorated to the point that
Plato was sold into slavery, and had to have his
freedom purchased by friends.

Years later, Plato tried again with the tyrant's son
and namesake. This second attempt was also a
failure, although it did not result in Plato's reenslavement.

Dion?

Oh, all right.

The numnuts on another board haven't been able
to get this one:

Question:

First commander of the ironclad Monitor, he suffered
an incapacitating wound when blinded by a shell hit on his
observation slit in its first action against Virginia (Merrimack)

He recovered, and was to command other ironclads,
was promoted to Rear Admiral, and served as Annapolis Superintendent.

USViking said:
Oh, all right.

The numnuts on another board haven't been able
to get this one:

Question:

First commander of the ironclad Monitor, he suffered
an incapacitating wound when blinded by a shell hit on his
observation slit in its first action against Virginia (Merrimack)

He recovered, and was to command other ironclads,
was promoted to Rear Admiral, and served as Annapolis Superintendent.

Following the end of the great conflict, Worden commanded USS Pensacola in the Pacific. He received the rank of Commodore in 1868 and the next year began five years as Superintendant of the U.S. Naval Academy, during which time he was promoted to Rear Admiral. In 1875-77, Worden commanded the European Squadron. He then had shore duty until retiring from active duty in late 1886. Rear Admiral John L. Worden died in Washington, D.C., on 18 October 1897.

O.K here's my question. What signor of the Declaration of Independence was sentenced to Philadelphia debtor’s prison from 1798 to 1801, and despite his once enormous wealth, and huge contribution to the war effort, died broke on May 7, 1806.

Kathianne said:
Robert Morris?

It was Robert indeed. He used his shipping fortune to buy land throughout the Union, and by 1795 he had acquired over 6 million acres. His aim was to promote the development of farms and towns, but European wars reduced the flow of immigrants, and settlement proceeded more slowly than he had expected. The mortgages and taxes were more than he could pay. Creditors had him arrested. The rest is history.. And your question my learned friend?

ThomasPaine said:
It was Robert indeed. He used his shipping fortune to buy land throughout the Union, and by 1795 he had acquired over 6 million acres. His aim was to promote the development of farms and towns, but European wars reduced the flow of immigrants, and settlement proceeded more slowly than he had expected. The mortgages and taxes were more than he could pay. Creditors had him arrested. The rest is history.. And your question my learned friend?

LOL Thanks for the kudos, all the schooling pays off if not in money.

Here's a shot in the dark:

He published, in 1774, the Royal American Magazine, which was continued for a short time by Joseph Greenleaf, and which contained many engravings by Paul Revere; and in 1775-1803 the New England Almanac, continued until 1819 by his son. He set up printing houses and book stores in various parts of the country, and in Boston with Ebenezer T. Andrews, published the Massachusetts Magazine, a monthly, from 1789 to 1793. At Walpole, New Hampshire, he published the Farmer's Museum.

I was looking for Vlad Tepes and Dracula, however since all of yours were correct I am satisfied. :thup:

Kathianne said:

He published, in 1774, the Royal American Magazine, which was continued for a short time by Joseph Greenleaf, and which contained many engravings by Paul Revere; and in 1775-1803 the New England Almanac, continued until 1819 by his son. He set up printing houses and book stores in various parts of the country, and in Boston with Ebenezer T. Andrews, published the Massachusetts Magazine, a monthly, from 1789 to 1793. At Walpole, New Hampshire, he published the Farmer's Museum.

Benjamin Franklin?

Kathianne said:

a hall of fame point guard for the Detroit Pistons.. hehehe.

Question: This battle forced the Mexican Army across the Rio Grande to Matamoros and was a major victory for the United States.

Kathianne said:

This looked like one no one was going to get
without cheating and googling, so I cheated
and googled.

The answer is Isiah Thomas.

Since I didn't play fair I'll let someone else ask
the next question.

Forum List

Back