History Quiz

padisha emperor said:
Maybe have I already ask that, i don't remember, but I don't think :

Q : where were the Kings of England of the XII-XIIIth c. buried ? (the firsts Plantagenêts) (city if possible)
Wasn't it a place called Avignon? No, no, no, West Minster Abbey.

padisha emperor said:
Maybe have I already ask that, i don't remember, but I don't think :

Q : where were the Kings of England of the XII-XIIIth c. buried ? (the firsts Plantagenêts) (city if possible)

Could you be a bit more specific as to WHICH King you refer? The Plantagenets were not buried in any single location.

GunnyL said:
Could you be a bit more specific as to WHICH King you refer? The Plantagenets were not buried in any single location.

Well, i don't know exactly which ones were buried in the place I was thinking.

It was the city of Angers, in Anjou, or others places in Anjou.
because the PLantagenêts were Counts of Anjou, Maine, Normandie, King of Jerusalem, Napoly and the Two-Sicilies, and England since Geoffroy PLantagenêts.

England was in fact for them only a region of the Anjou's Empire.

This Capetian house lived in France and was buried in.
(most of the king didn't even speak english, only French...Ivanohe shows it)

Go on GunnyL

HENRY II (1154-1189)
Known as Fitz Empress and nicknamed Curtmantel.
Second cousin of predecessor Stephen, and grandson of Henry I.
Born: March 1133
Father: Geoffrey, Count of Anjou. He was the son of Fulk V, Count of Anjou and Aremburga, daughter of Helias I, Count of Maine.
Mother: Matilda, daughter of Henry I and Matilda of Scotland.
Titles: Duke of Normandy September 1151. Duke of Aquitaine in right of his wife May 1152. King of England 19 December 1154.
Married: Eleanor of Aquitaine, daughter of William X, Duke of Aquitaine. She divorced Louis VII of France on the grounds of consanguinity.
Children: William, Henry, Matilda, Richard, Geoffrey, ?Philip, Eleanor, Joan, John.
Died: 6 July 1189 at Chinon Castle, France. Buried in Fontrevrault Abbey, France.

RICHARD I (1189-1199)
Known as the Lionheart
Eldest surviving son of predecessor Henry.
Born: 8 September 1159
Father: Henry II
Mother: Eleanor of Aquitaine
Titles: Duke of Aquitaine 1172. King of England and Duke of Normandy 1189.
Married: Berengaria in Cyprus 12 May 1191. She was the daughter of Sancho VI, King of Navarre.
Children: None.
Died: 6 April 1199 at Chalus in Limousin, France. Buried at Fontrevault Abbey, France.

JOHN (1199-1216)
Known as Lackland or Softsword
Younger brother of predecessor Richard and youngest son of Henry II.
Born:24 December 1167.
Father: Henry II
Mother: Eleanor of Aquitaine
Titles: Earl of Gloucester in right of his wife 1189. King of England, Duke of Normandy and Duke of Aquitaine 1199
Married: 1. Isabella 1189 at Marlborough Castle, daughter of William, Earl of Gloucester, divorced on grounds of consanguinity. 2. Isabella 1200 At Bordeaux Cathedral, daughter of Count of Angouleme
Children: Henry III, Richard, Joan, Isabella, Eleanor.
Died: October 1216 at Neward Castle. Buried in Worcester Cathedral.

HENRY III (1216-1272)
Eldest son of predecessor John.
Born:1 October 1207.
Father: John
Mother: Isabella of Angouleme
Titles: King of England, Duke of Normandy and Duke of Aquitaine October 1216
Married: Eleanor January 1236 at Canterbury Cathedral. She was the daughter of Raymond Berenger V, Count of Provence.
Children: Edward I, Margaret, Beatrice, Edmund, Richard, John, William, Katherine, Henry.
Died: 16 November 1272 at the Palace of Westminster. Buried at Westminster Abbey.

EDWARD I (1272-1307)
Eldest son of predecessor Henry.
Known as Longshanks and Lawgiver
Born:18 June 1239
Father: Henry III
Mother: Eleanor of Provence
Titles: Created Duke of Gascony (a diminution of Aquitaine to its northern territory 1254, he was later accepted as Duke of Aquitaine after paying homage to the King of France. Created Earl of Chester 1254. King of England 1272. Overlord of Wales after 1282 when that territory was annexed to the English crown.
Married: 1. Eleanor 1254, she was the daughter of Ferdinand III King of Castile. 2. Margaret 1299, she was the daughter of Philip III of France and sister of then regnant Philip IV.
Children: of Eleanor: Eleanor, Joan, John, Henry, Alice, Juliana (Katherine), Joan, Alfonso, Margaret, Berengaria, Mary, Isabella, Elizabeth, Edward II, Beatrice, Blanche. Of Margaret: Thomas, Henry, John.
Died: 6 July 1307 at Burgh-by-Sands, Northumberland. Buried at Westminster Abbey.

EDWARD II (1307-1327)
Known as Edward of Caernarvon.
Eldest surviving son of predecessor Edward.
Born:25 April 1284
Father: Edward I
Mother: Eleanor of Castile
Titles: Created Earl of Chester and Prince of Wales February 1301 (He was the first English Prince of Wales). Duke of Aquitaine 1306. King of England July 1307. Edward was deposed by Parliament on 20 January 1327 and formally abdicated in favour of his son.
Married: Isabella January 1308. She was daughter of Philip IV of France
Children: Edward III, John, Eleanor, Joan.
Died: Murdered on 21/22 September 1327 at Berkeley Castle. Buried in Gloucester Cathedral.

EDWARD III (1327-1377)
Eldest son of predecessor Edward.
Born:13 November 1312
Father: Edward II
Mother: Isabella of France
Titles: Created Earl of Chester 1312. Count of Pontieu and Montreuil 1325. Duke of Aquitaine 1325. King of England January 1327, after his father abdicated. In October 1330 he assumed personal rule after overthrowing his mother the Queen and her lover Roger Mortimer, Earl of March. He formerly styled himself King of France in January 1340 (He claimed this right through his mother).
Married: Philippa January 1328. She was the daughter of William III, Count of Hainault.
Children: Edward (The Black Prince), Isabella, Joan, William, Lionel, John (of Gaunt), Blanche, Edmund, Mary, Margaret, William, Thomas
Died: 21 June 1377 at Sheen Palace. Buried in Westminster Abbey.

RICHARD II (1377-1399)
Known as Edward of Bordeaux
Grandson of predecessor, being the only surviving son of Edward, eldest son of Edward III
Born:13 November 1312
Father: Edward, Prince of Wales, son of Edward III
Mother: Joan, daughter of Edmund, Earl of Kent
Titles: Created Prince of Wales, Earl of Chester and Earl of Cornwall November 1376. Knight of the Garter April 1377. King of England 22 June 1377. Richard was deposed by Henry of Bolingbroke and formally abdicated on 29 September 1399.
Married: 1. Anne January 1382, daughter of Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor. 2. Isabella 1396, daughter of Charles VI of France.
Children: none
Died: Died early February at Pontefract, probably murdered. Buried in King's Langley Church, but removed by Henry V in 1413 to lie in a joint vault with his queen Anne in Westminster Abbey.

HENRY IV (1399-1413)
Known as Henry of Bolingbroke
Cousin of predecessor Richard, both being grandsons of Edward III.
Born:(?)3 April 1367 at Bolingbroke, Lincolnshire
Father: John of Gaunt, third surviving son of Edward III
Mother: Blanche of Lancaster, daughter of Henry of Grosmont, Duke of Lancaster.
Titles: Knight of the Garter April 1377. Styled Earl of Derby from June 1377. Created Earl of Derby July 1377. Created Earl of Hereford September 1397. Succeeded as Duke of Lancaster, Earl of Leicester and Earl of Lincoln 3 February 1399. Usurped the throne 30 September 1399.
Married: 1. Mary 1390. She was the daughter of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford, Essex and Northampton. 2. Joan 1402. She was the daughter of Charles II, King of Navarre.
Children: of Mary: Edward, Henry V, Thomas, John, Humphrey, Blanche, Philippa.
Died: 20 March 1413 in the Jerusalem Chamber of the Abbot's House in Westminster

HENRY V (1413-1422)
Known as Henry of Monmouth
Eldest surviving son of predecessor Henry.
Born: 9 August 1387 at Monmouth Castle
Father: Henry IV
Mother: Mary de Bohun.
Titles: Created Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Earl of Chester October 1399. Knight of the Garter 1399. Created Duke of Aquitaine and Duke of Lancaster November 1399. King of England March 1413. Designated heir to the throne of France on 21 May 1420.
Married: Katherine June 1420. She was the daughter of Charles VI, King of France.
Children: Henry VI.
Died: 31 August 1422 in France. Buried in Westminster.

HENRY VI (1422-1461, 1470-1471)
Only son of predecessor Henry.
Born: 6 December 1421
Father: Henry V
Mother: Katherine of Valois
Titles: Designated Duke of Cornwall from birth. King of England 1 September 1422. King of France 11 October 1422. Henry was deposed by Edward, Duke of York March 1461. Restored to the throne October 1470 (the "Readeption"), but deposed again by Edward IV April 1471.
Married: Margaret May 1444. She was the daughter of Rene, Duke of Anjou and King of Naples.
Children: Edward.
Died: Murdered(?) May 1471. Buried at Chertsey Abbey, later removed to St George's Chapel, Windsor.

EDWARD IV (1461-1470, 1471-1483)
Third cousin of his predecessor Henry, both being great-great grandsons of Edward III.
Born: April 1442, Rouen.
Father: Richard, Duke of York who was twice descended from Edward III. His father, Richard, Earl of Cambridge was the son of the fourth surviving son of Edward III. His mother, Anne Mortimer was great-granddaughter of the second surviving son of Edward III.
Mother: Cecily Neville, she was the daughter of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, and Joan Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt.
Titles: Styled Earl of March during his father's lifetime. Duke of York, Earl of Ulster and Cambridge December 1460. Proclaimed king of England by Parliament March 1461 after the deposition of Henry VI. Deposed October 1470. Restored April 1471.
Married: Elizabeth May 1464. she was the daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers and Jacquetta of Luxembourg.
Children: Elizabeth, Cecily, Edward V, Margaret, Richard, Anne, George, Katherine, Bridget.
Died: 9 April 1483 at Westminster. Buried in St George's Chapel, Windsor.

EDWARD V (1483)
Eldest son of predecessor Edward.
Born: November 1470 in sanctuary Westminster Abbey.
Father: Edward IV
Mother: Elizabeth Woodville.
Titles: Created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester June 1471. Duke of Cornwall July 1471. Knight of the Garter May 1475. Created Earl of Pembroke and March July 1479. King of England 9 April 1483.
Married: Never married.
Children: None.
Died: Perhaps murdered 1483.

RICHARD III (1483-1485)
Uncle of predecessor Edward and younger brother of Edward IV.
Born: 2 October 1452.
Father: Richard, Duke of York who was twice descended from Edward III. His father, Richard, Earl of Cambridge was the son of the fourth surviving son of Edward III. His mother, Anne Mortimer was great-granddaughter of the second surviving son of Edward III.
Mother: Cecily Neville, she was the daughter of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, and Joan Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt.
Titles: Created Duke of Gloucester November 1461. Knight of the Garter February 1466. King of England 26 June 1483.
Married: Anne Neville. She was the daughter of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick ("The Kingmaker")
Children: Edward
Died: 22 August 1483, Battle of Bosworth.

http://www.fifteenthcentury.net/planta.html

I can't figure out who gets the next question,
so I'll ask it myself:

Question:

Names of the two foremost Polish officers who fought for the US
during the American Revolution.

One of them has a Vigrinia county named after him.

The other went back to Poland, was a Polish leader
during the final stages of the Third Partition, was shot
in battle, survived, and died in spite of his heroism on
two continents, his country not to be revived for 200 years;
revived now, forever.

USViking said:
I can't figure out who gets the next question,
so I'll ask it myself:

Question:

Names of the two foremost Polish officers who fought for the US
during the American Revolution.

One of them has a Vigrinia county named after him.

The other went back to Poland, was a Polish leader
during the final stages of the Third Partition, was shot
in battle, survived, and died in spite of his heroism on
two continents, his country not to be revived for 200 years;
revived now, forever.

Casmir Polaski came right to mind. The other escaped me, thought 'Tad'. Mixing up with Lincoln I suppose. Anyhow, knew he had been with Washington, found it I think:

Thaddeus Kosciusko

Kathianne said:
Casmir Polaski came right to mind. The other escaped me, thought 'Tad'. Mixing up with Lincoln I suppose. Anyhow, knew he had been with Washington, found it I think:

Thaddeus Kosciusko

PUlaski, but good enough.

Koscuisco is exactly right.

Question?- or whatever or not.

USViking said:
PUlaski, but good enough.

Koscuisco is exactly right.

Question?- or whatever or not.

Tsk, tsk spelling police again! Ask another.

padisha emperor said:
None.

As you said, Louis XVI, Louis XVIII and Charles X, 3 brothers, were the sons of Louis de France, the Dauphin, son of Louis XV.

Go on ;)

Oops, I somehow misread the question-
I thought it was how many sons he had,
not how many became king.

Question:

Harvard-educated financial genius who became
Nazi Germany's chief economic minister, and made
great contibutions to the nation's economic
recovery before falling out with Hitler over the
pace of rearmament.

Aquitted at Nuremburg, he did time on other
charges, I think.

His two middle names are those of a famous
US editor and one-time presidential candidate.

deaddude said:
Hermann Göring

Good try, but no. Goring was given some responsibility
for economic planning after the person who is the
correct answer was fired.

Goring was convicted and sentenced to death at Nuremburg.
A still undetermined person smuggled him some poison, and
he commited suicide a few hours before he was scheduled
to hang.

I think I read somewhere that they gave IQ tests
to all the Nuremburg defendants, and that Goring
and the correct answer scored highest: 140-150 or so.

Forum List

Back