History Quiz

More frurious googling had yielded up:

MTB I 02:

http://www.location-solutions.com/individual_site4.htm

(from the link):
MTB I 02 is one of only a very few World War II Royal Navy vessels still afloat and is thought to be the only Royal Navy vessel that took part in the Dunkirk evacuation surviving.

She was built by Vosper Ltd and launched in 1936. Capable of 48 knots, she was the fastest wartime British naval vessel in service.

I meant to add that though the Queen mary was "launched" in 1934, she spent two years being outfitted and made her maiden voyage in 1936.

Question:

Names of the two Japanese WW2 battleships,
the largest warships ever built to that time,
weighing 72000 tons, with a 9x18" gun main armament.

Both were sunk by aircraft, one during the battle
of Leyte, the other during the Okinawa campaign,
having never fired on an enemy ship, nor having
even sighted an enemy ship.

Well, the Yamato, sunk at Okinawa.

But for the one sunk at Leyte....the Musashi ? (I only know these one and the Kongo, for the japanese ships engaged and sunk at Leyte, and the Kongo is "too small")

I know that the Musashi was a big vessel too.

padisha emperor said:
Well, the Yamato, sunk at Okinawa.

But for the one sunk at Leyte....the Musashi ? (I only know these one and the Kongo, for the japanese ships engaged and sunk at Leyte, and the Kongo is "too small")

I know that the Musashi was a big vessel too.

Musashi is correct.

A third ship of the class was converted into a carrier,
and sunk by submarine the first time it put to sea.

Your question.

Battle of the middle age, XIVth century, between France and its vassal Flanders.
This battle had heavy consequences for the Hunderd War Years, on a military doctrines' point.

what was this battle, and this consequence for the military doctrines?
If you don't find, I'll give some hints to you.

padisha emperor said:
Battle of the middle age, XIVth century, between France and its vassal Flanders.
This battle had heavy consequences for the Hunderd War Years, on a military doctrines' point.

what was this battle, and this consequence for the military doctrines?
If you don't find, I'll give some hints to you.

How about the Battle of the Golden Spurs (1302)?

According to Wikipedia, a French force of combined arms,
including a considerable number of cavalry, was defeated
by a Flemish force consisting only of infantry.

The English armies of later in the early 100 Years War were
similarly sucessful while having few if any mounted troops.

Schepke ?

(for my question : sorry, i was absent for a while. I thought in fact to the battle of Mont Cassel, 1328 : French against flemish forces, the flemish attacked the french camps with infantry heavyly armored, they were unable to move well, and were defeated by the french knights mounted on their horses.
The French lost few soldiers, the flemish forces, on a total of 16,000 soldiers, counted 13,000 killed (!!!), and their general, Zannekin.

This battle had for consequences that the French counted for the future only on their excellent knights, and their excellent heavy cavalry. And that infantry sucked.

This idea cost to France, in Crécy, and Azincourt, thousands of great knights and nobles.
Tragic consequences for an awesome victory.)

padisha emperor said:
Schepke ?

(for my question : sorry, i was absent for a while. I thought in fact to the battle of Mont Cassel, 1328 : French against flemish forces, the flemish attacked the french camps with infantry heavyly armored, they were unable to move well, and were defeated by the french knights mounted on their horses.
The French lost few soldiers, the flemish forces, on a total of 16,000 soldiers, counted 13,000 killed (!!!), and their general, Zannekin.

This battle had for consequences that the French counted for the future only on their excellent knights, and their excellent heavy cavalry. And that infantry sucked.

This idea cost to France, in Crécy, and Azincourt, thousands of great knights and nobles.
Tragic consequences for an awesome victory.)

Thank you for the interesting information.

Heavy cavalry also fared disastrously agains the Swiss pikes
starting 50-100 years later, didn't it?

I have always wondered what would have happened
if someone had formed an army uniting the long bow
and the pike. Even the Mongols might have had problems
with an army combining those arms.

Well, a such army would have been good. But i think that during the Middle Age some armies were like that. But they didn't win awesome battles.
Often, the victories were decided by az charge of cavalry (except when a lot of bowmen where in front of them), and that until the XIXth c. ! (Rocroi 1643, Eylau 1807...)... and again in the Middle Age : Mont Cassel, Or Mons en Pévèle, 1304 : the flemish infantry victorious of the french cavalry in 1302 was defeated by the french cavalry combined with infantry.
The swiss infantry defeated effectivly knights, during the was against Burgundy, 1470's.
The swiss infantry was considered as invincible, until Marignan in 1515. Their tactics with long spears make me think at the Macedonian Squares of Alexander the Great, with their sarissa.

It's quite "funny", the 2 armies who defeated heavy cavalry with infantry where annihilated by artillery some years after : English at Castillon, 1453 ; Swiss at Marignan, 1515.

For your question : Schepke ? Kretschmer ? Prien (the hero of Scappa Flow) ?

padisha emperor said:
Well, a such army would have been good. But i think that during the Middle Age some armies were like that. But they didn't win awesome battles.
Often, the victories were decided by az charge of cavalry (except when a lot of bowmen where in front of them), and that until the XIXth c. ! (Rocroi 1643, Eylau 1807...)... and again in the Middle Age : Mont Cassel, Or Mons en Pévèle, 1304 : the flemish infantry victorious of the french cavalry in 1302 was defeated by the french cavalry combined with infantry.
The swiss infantry defeated effectivly knights, during the was against Burgundy, 1470's.
The swiss infantry was considered as invincible, until Marignan in 1515. Their tactics with long spears make me think at the Macedonian Squares of Alexander the Great, with their sarissa.

It's quite "funny", the 2 armies who defeated heavy cavalry with infantry where annihilated by artillery some years after : English at Castillon, 1453 ; Swiss at Marignan, 1515.
For the bows, I was thinking specifically of
the English long bow, with its great range
and accuracy. I have never heard of any
other country using it.

The Swiss pikes do seem closely akin to the
phalanx. It was somehow more versatile, not
depending as much on level, open ground to
be effective. Perhaps the Swiss were less
heavily armored, and I do not think they used shields.

padisha emperor said:
For your question : Schepke ? Kretschmer ? Prien (the hero of Scappa Flow) ?

This was a semi-trick question.

Answer:

The leading U-boat ace of all time was A World War ONE skipper
with the flamboyant name of Lothar von Arnauld de la Periere.

His family had been German from the time of a Soldier of Fortune
French ancestor who had volunteered for Prussian service during
the reign of Frederick the Great.

This is a good link for the U-boat campaigns of both World Wars:

http://uboat.net/history/wwi/part6.htm

World War I produced the top four U-boat aces of all time,
possibly because the convoy system was not developed
until 1917.

They are:

Lothar von Arnauld de la Periere 454,000 tons
Walther Forstmann 380,000 tons
Max Valentiner 300,000 tons
Otto Steinbrinck 290,000 tons

Otto Kretschmer, the leading WW2 ace, was credited
with 272,958 tons.

Someone else please ask a question.

padisha emperor said:
beautiful name, it's sure !

I like it.

Well...

when, on a juridical point of view, ended the Roman Republic ? (grounded in -507)
The Emperors ended the Republic when Augustus
assumed supreme power.

What date? 30bc or thereabouts.

Teutonborg Forest was 9bc, and Augustus had been a solid Emperor
for several years.

Augustus : -27.

But on a juridical point of view, it was stil the Republic ;)
In fact, the title "Imperator" means victorious general. And the "Imperium" menas the leadership.

The republic never ends, juridically.
Only in 476, with the fall of the Empire, Empire which was in fact a Republic : same as Napoleon : in 1804, it's the "governement of the french Republic which is given into the Hands of an Emperor".

It was a semi-trap, sorry :D

(but it is only on a juridical point of view, and in theory....of course, the institutions under Trojan or Marc-Aurèle are not the same than the institutions of the IIIth. Century ;) )

question :
When did the christianism become the official religion of the Roman Empire ?
(ask the next USViking ;) )

padisha emperor said:
Augustus : -27.

But on a juridical point of view, it was stil the Republic ;)
In fact, the title "Imperator" means victorious general. And the "Imperium" menas the leadership.

The republic never ends, juridically.
Only in 476, with the fall of the Empire, Empire which was in fact a Republic : same as Napoleon : in 1804, it's the "governement of the french Republic which is given into the Hands of an Emperor".

It was a semi-trap, sorry :D

(but it is only on a juridical point of view, and in theory....of course, the institutions under Trojan or Marc-Aurèle are not the same than the institutions of the IIIth. Century ;) )

question :
When did the christianism become the official religion of the Roman Empire ?
(ask the next USViking ;) )

Christianity became the state religion of the
Roman empire during the reign of Constantine
ca 320.

Question:

Name of the linguist who deciphered the
Minoan linear B script.

He correctly guessed it was related to Greek
at the start of the task.

Forum List

Back