he sought alliance with the UK and France
against Germany.

Dillatory behavior by the two Western nations,
and Polish hostility led to his replacement,
and to reversal of policy toward accomodation
with Germany.

padisha emperor said:
These days i was not at home, so... ;)

What did the Emperor Vespasian about the W.C. ?(and since this, in french one of the words to say WC is "vespasiennes", maybe in english too)

Could you rephrase this?

In US slang WC="Water Closet"="toilet", and we need
another verb form to explain what Vespasian was doing.

USViking said:
Could you rephrase this?

In US slang WC="Water Closet"="toilet", and we need
another verb form to explain what Vespasian was doing.

Well, I'll ask a new question, i didn't think this one càuld give language problems, sorry. ;)

(answer : Vespasian created a tax on the W.C.)

Question : Why Edward III of England claimed the Throne of France, and then launch the 100 Years' War ?

( the most complete anszwer is welcome ;) )

padisha emperor said:
Well, I'll ask a new question, i didn't think this one càuld give language problems, sorry. ;)

(answer : Vespasian created a tax on the W.C.)

Question : Why Edward III of England claimed the Throne of France, and then launch the 100 Years' War ?

( the most complete anszwer is welcome ;) )
He liked French wine, and pate de fois gras, and wanted
to control the markets for the benefit of his personal use?

USViking said:
He liked French wine, and pate de fois gras, and wanted
to control the markets for the benefit of his personal use?

This answer must be incorrect.

I have found Wikipedia to be usually reliable.

Here's what is has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_years_war

(from the link):
"The specific events that led up to the war in the early 14th century began in France, where the Capetian dynasty had ruled for over 320 years, with one male heir after another taking the throne (the longest continuous dynasty in medieval European history). In 1314, the Capetian king Philip IV died, leaving three male heirs. The eldest son, Louis X, died in 1316, leaving only a posthumous son John I, who was born 1316 and died same year, and a daughter, Joan, who in 1329 became the Queen of Navarre, who was married to Philip, count of Evreux, who later in her right became king consort Philip III of Navarre.

To secure his claim to the throne, Philip's second-oldest son (Louis X's younger brother and John I and Joan's uncle) Philip V obligated to buy her claims off (using also the rumor that Joan was a product of her mother's adultery and not a daughter of Louis X), but precedent for only male heirs had been set. When Philip V died in 1322, his daughters were put aside in favour of the last brother, Charles IV, without question.

In 1324, Charles IV and the English king Edward II fought the short War of Saint-Sardos in Gascony. The major event of the war was the brief siege of the English fortress of La Réole, on the Garonne river. The English forces, led by the Earl of Kent, were forced to surrender after a month of bombardment from the French cannons and after being promised reinforcements which never arrived. The war was a complete failure for England, and only Bordeaux and a narrow coastal strip now remained in English possession. The recovery of these lost lands became a major focus of English diplomacy. Another effect of the war was to galvanize opposition to Edward II among the English lords of Aquitaine, many of whom became sympathizers of Lord Wigmore, who would later invade England and dethrone Edward II.

Charles IV, King of France and Navarre, the youngest son of Philip IV, died in 1328, leaving only daughters and an infant daughter yet to be born. The senior line of Capetian dynasty ended thus in tail male, creating a crisis on who would become the next king of France.

Meanwhile living in England, Charles IV's sister Isabella had been widowed of King Edward II and was at the time effectively in control of the crown, having forced her politically weak husband to abdicate in favour of their teenage son, Edward III. The young Edward III, being the nephew of King Charles, was his closest living male relative and was at that time the only surviving male descendant of the senior line of the Capetian dynasty descending from Philip IV (Philip the Fair). By English interpretation of feudal law, this made Edward III the next heir to the throne of France.

The French nobility, however, did not want a foreigner on the throne, in particular an English king. They claimed that royal inheritance could pass only through an unbroken male line, and not through a King's daughter (Isabella) to her son (Edward) (This principle was later, from 1356 onwards, cited under the name Salic Law). They asserted that the royal inheritance should therefore pass to Philip of Valois (Philip VI), through the younger brother of Philip III, Charles. Both Edward and Philip had good legal cases for the right to the crown, and the force to back it up.

Joan of Navarre, daughter of Louis X (or at least the daughter of Louis' wife), also had a good legal case to the French throne, but not the force to back it up. Navarre was accustomed to female rulers and had no Salic impediment.

England controlled Gascony in what is now southwest France, along the Atlantic coast. This territory was a remnant of the formerly large French territories inherited from the Anglo-Norman kings. Gascony produced vital shipments of salt and wine and were very profitable to the English nobility. Gascony was a separate fief held from the French crown, rather than a territory of England, and the homage for this possession was a matter more difficult to resolve. Philip VI wanted Edward's recognition as sovereign; Edward wanted the return of further lands lost by his father. A compromise homage in 1329 pleased neither side, but in 1331, facing serious problems at home, Edward accepted Philip as King of France and gave up his claims to the French throne. In effect, England kept Gascony in return for Edward giving up his claims to be the rightful king of France. In 1332, Joan, daughter of Louis X gave birth to a son, the future Charles II of Navarre. Edward III was now no longer Philip IV's male heir in primogeniture, although he remained Philip IV's male heir in proximity.

In 1333, Edward III went to war with King David II of Scotland, a French ally under the Auld Alliance, and began the Second War of Scottish Independence. Philip saw the opportunity to reclaim Gascony while England's attention was concentrated at home. However, the war was a quick success for England, and David was forced to flee to France after being defeated by King Edward and Edward Balliol at the Battle of Halidon Hill in July 1333.

In 1336, Philip made plans for an expedition to restore David to the Scottish throne, and to also seize Gascony. Open hostilities broke out as French ships began ravaging coastal settlements on the English Channel and in 1337 Philip reclaimed the Gascony fief, citing feudal law and saying that Edward had broken his oath (a felony) by not attending to the needs and demands of his lord. Edward III responded by saying he was in fact the rightful heir to the French throne, and on All Saints' Day 1337, Henry Burghersh, the Bishop of Lincoln arrived in Paris with the defiance of the King of England. War had been declared."

The English effort turned out to be a complete,
irreversible waste.

The English would have done best to never have
set foot past where they had clear title. It was
in the moral wrong.

France was in the moral right, and was a case
of the moral right triumphant.

That it became a moral trespasser later on is
to the enduring sorrow of history.

USViking said:
This answer must be incorrect.

I have found Wikipedia to be usually reliable.

Here's what is has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_years_war

(from the link):

The English effort turned out to be a complete,
irreversible waste.

The English would have done best to never have
set foot past where they had clear title. It was
in the moral wrong.

France was in the moral right, and was a case
of the moral right triumphant.

That it became a moral trespasser later on is
to the enduring sorrow of history.

good educational value. Go again!

Kathianne said:
good educational value. Go again!

Thanks, I'm still a bit low on gas as far as
thinking up reasonable questions.

I'll pass to anyone who wants to ask one.

If no takers in a day or so, I'll try to come
up with something.

wow, what a perffect and complete answer it was ! ;)

If you 're interested by this period, read the "Cursed Kings" (or "damned Kings", don't know, in french : "Les Rois Maudits"), 7 books by Maurice Druon about this : from 1314 to the battle of Poitiers, in 1356.
all your statements are in the books, of course, with some fiction, but with an awesome historic reality.

This war only ended in 1453 with the battle of Castillon and the victory of Charles VII.
What a waste of time, money and men for the 2 mightest countries of this time, in major conflict since the XIIth. c...

padisha emperor said:
question : the most distinguished regiment of the US army forces, regiment of the WWII.
And a nice proof of patriotism and revenge on history.

Which regiment was it ?
Aw, I can't let this pass.

The most decorated US unit in WW II was the 100th/442d. It was a Nisei unit. A Nisei unit, for those who don't know, was composed of mostly second generation Japanese men. Once the 100th became the 442d Regimental Combat team, the the "Nisei only" restriction was lifted, but it still remained mostly US citizens of Japanese descent.

CSM said:
Aw, I can't let this pass.

The most decorated US unit in WW II was the 100th/442d. It was a Nisei unit. A Nisei unit, for those who don't know, was composed of mostly second generation Japanese men. Once the 100th became the 442d Regimental Combat team, the the "Nisei only" restriction was lifted, but it still remained mostly US citizens of Japanese descent.

perfect. 442nd INfantery regiment, with people with japanese origins.

Go on CSM ;)

CSM said:
A very famous British ship was launched this week in 1934...what was the ship's name?
Well, it wasn't Dreadnought or Titanic, and I think Hood
was older too. Queen Mary and Queen Elisabeth were
launched during WW2.

That leaves Rodney, King George (?)V, Prince of Wales
and Repulse on the list of British ships of the 20th century
that I can think of off hand.

How about Prince of Wales?- famous both both for her
tragic death, and, I think, as the ship which carried Churchill
to meet with Roosevelt at that suprise conference
whose name escapes me.

USViking said:
Well, it wasn't Dreadnought or Titanic, and I think Hood
was older too. Queen Mary and Queen Elisabeth were
launched during WW2.

That leaves Rodney, King George (?)V, Prince of Wales
and Repulse on the list of British ships of the 20th century
that I can think of off hand.

How about Prince of Wales?- famous both both for her
tragic death, and, I think, as the ship which carried Churchill
to meet with Roosevelt at that suprise conference
whose name escapes me.

Actually I misstyped the date was 1936... my bad.

Viking, one of your facts is incorrect which may be misleading you.

CSM said:
Actually I misstyped the date was 1936... my bad.

Viking, one of your facts is incorrect which may be misleading you.

Blast it, I wish 1934 was the correct date.

Furious googling has revealed that Ajax,
flagship of the squadron which cornered
Graf Spee, was launched in 1934.

Let me keep trying for a while.

Hopefully someone who knows the answer
fair and square will beat me to it.

Forum List

Back