Holy Cohiba! Obama lifts ban on Cuban cigars and rum

Are they slapping an excise tax on the items to compensate the people who lost $$ when Castro stole their businesses and land?
you mean like reparations?

No, compensation for stolen property that actually happened in the past few decades.

Over 50 years ago....Communists took over Cuba
We have been butthurt ever since enforcing a silly embargo that most of the world abandoned 30 years ago

Glad to see our President finally acknowledge the obvious

How about someone takes some of your property without paying for it?

I am sure you would be "butt hurt" about it as well.

They picked the losing side, and now they need to pay the price. Dump Castro, hold elections, and come to some settlement with ALL the people they took property from, Cuban, American, Spanish, whatever.

If I invested in propping up a corrupt, despotic government that promised me obscene profits in return and I lost all my money...I deserve what I got

Blaming the victim, right?

How about you stop with the false equivalencies?
how about you stop demanding slave owners be compensated for their losses

Which slave owners?
Cuba? the whole island of cuba is a former slave colony they rebelled and freed themselves . This is like asking americans to pay the british for their lost tea

Most cubans are white-Hispanics. you may be thinking of Haiti.
1/4 of Cubans are not considered white.

Thank you for that probably accurate, but entirely meaningless to the conversation fact.

Why just the last few decades?

because there is actually still documentation of who owned what, and some of the owners are still alive and kicking.

Frankly, I have no desire to defend the interests of Capitalists who partnered with the Cuban Government to control the economy while exploiting the Cuban workforce. It was those very capitalists who led to the rise of the Castro led revolution

In 1949, Communists in China seized the assets of foreign capitalists...Yet we freely trade with China
In 1975, Communists in Vietnam seized the assets of foreign capitalists...Yet we freely trade with Vietnam

So we should continue to reward bad behavior?

Again, its all dandy when people you agree with ideologically take other people's stuff.

maybe I should appropriate your big screen TV, you know, for the people.

They made a risky investment in the anticipation of obscene profits
They lost

The got robbed. But again, its part of your ideology, so its A-OK!
Are you saying that the USA should compensate the Cubans that had their land stolen?

Why just the last few decades?

because there is actually still documentation of who owned what, and some of the owners are still alive and kicking.

Frankly, I have no desire to defend the interests of Capitalists who partnered with the Cuban Government to control the economy while exploiting the Cuban workforce. It was those very capitalists who led to the rise of the Castro led revolution

In 1949, Communists in China seized the assets of foreign capitalists...Yet we freely trade with China
In 1975, Communists in Vietnam seized the assets of foreign capitalists...Yet we freely trade with Vietnam

Again, its all dandy when people you agree with ideologically take other people's stuff.

They lost

So let me get this straight white europeans own slaves, perfectly fine, slaves rebel against their slave owners, "they got robbed". .... this has nothing with right or wrong and more to do with white and black

They lost

Are you saying that the USA should compensate the Cubans that had their land stolen?

No, the Cubans should compensate the Cubans who got their land stolen, plus the others who got their land stolen.

They lost

So let me get this straight white europeans own slaves, perfectly fine, slaves rebel against their slave owners, "they got robbed". .... this has nothing with right or wrong and more to do with white and black

What slaves revolted during the Cuban Revolution?

They lost

No, the Cubans should compensate the Cubans who got their land stolen, plus the others who got their land stolen.
I agree. But they need money to do that and I am willing to pony up by purchasing some rum.

you mean like reparations?

No, compensation for stolen property that actually happened in the past few decades.

We have been butthurt ever since enforcing a silly embargo that most of the world abandoned 30 years ago

They picked the losing side, and now they need to pay the price. Dump Castro, hold elections, and come to some settlement with ALL the people they took property from, Cuban, American, Spanish, whatever.

If I invested in propping up a corrupt, despotic government that promised me obscene profits in return and I lost all my money...I deserve what I got

In this case...yes I am

They lost

No this is just propganda from the cold war he saying the cuban government should track down and payback wealthy business owners in cuba who lost their sugar plantations... when countries overthrew british french spanish belgian etc colonists they demanded compensation from those new governments... see haiti, rwanda, sierra leonne, zaire, vietnam etc etc

They lost

No this is just propganda from the cold war he saying the cuban government should track down and payback wealthy business owners in cuba who lost their sugar plantations... when countries overthrew british french spanish belgian etc colonists they demanded compensation from those new governments... see haiti, rwanda, sierra leonne, zaire, vietnam etc etc
Oh, I thought he was talking about people that lost their homes.

They lost

All those islands were populated, as was Canada and South America. But the United States is the only ones being demonized. Funny thing is, my tribe existed both in the United States and British Columbia, so we could retreat to Canada any time we felt in danger.

There is a reason for this discrepancy though. Catholics lived peacefully with the natives far more than Protestants with their asshole "Manifest Destiny" doctrine. My tribe peacefully coexisted with French Catholic settlers for 4 centuries and that's one of the reasons the Catholic faith has been passed down in my family for generations.

Mexico, South America, Canada, the Carribeans, all Catholic. No wholesale extermination by a "New Israel", no Trail of Tears. Though armies came from Catholic countries and did atrocious things, Catholic missionaries came with no weapon in hand save the gospel of Christ. That made all the difference.

They lost

I agree. But they need money to do that and I am willing to pony up by purchasing some rum.

I'm sure if a Democrat is in office the Cubans who now control the stolen property will get off scott free.

In this case...yes I am

Ass.

They lost

Homes, plantations, hotels, etc. Stolen is stolen, even if you get Commie Jollies from the transfer of stuff from one group of exploiters to another.

They lost

I'm sure if a Democrat is in office the Cubans who now control the stolen property will get off scott free.
You are sure of a lot of things that aren't true or even probable.

They lost

Homes, plantations, hotels, etc. Stolen is stolen, even if you get Commie Jollies from the transfer of stuff from one group of exploiters to another.
Why don't you go fuck yourself Marty? Some of my family fled from Castro. Why don't you go grope someone so you can be the man that Trump is?

Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigars

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption.

Republicans will immediately decry this as a terrible idea while in the next breath they will praise Putin for being their real daddy. Then they'll go back to sleep to dream they are still living in 1952.

Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigars

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption.

Are they slapping an excise tax on the items to compensate the people who lost $$ when Castro stole their businesses and land?
Apparently the same standards that were applied to American Indian tribes will apply to Cuba.

Forum List

Back