Holy Cohiba! Obama lifts ban on Cuban cigars and rum

Great! Now Bill Clinton can use a Cuban cigar on the next White House intern when he is the First Man.

Are they slapping an excise tax on the items to compensate the people who lost $$ when Castro stole their businesses and land?
Apparently the same standards that were applied to American Indian tribes will apply to Cuba.
In Latin America, the European colonists didn't wipe out the natives, they mated with them and became indistinguishable from them.
Where were you taught History?
The oral tradition of my people. That's how I know I'm right.
Your oral tradition was heavily edited. If you actually believe that European colonists did not wipe out the natives, I know of some Algonquins who would like to chat with you.
News of our demise is not accurate. We're still alive and kicking.

Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigars

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption.

Funny how Cuban "Communism doesn't work" and yet they blocked trade with Cuba to make it not work.
What's Venezuela's excuse?

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption.

My spouse is going to a special service for all Episcopalians tomorrow in Oakland. I talked with her last night, and she said the Bishop of Cuba will be one of the leaders of the church there.

I was surprised and started joking with her. She quickly said that the Bishop of Cuba is a woman! I laughed and looked at her... She is the first bishop of cuba??? And a woman too. :eek:

Since my wife has always been backstage at the Episcopal church, since her ministereal brother headed up Iglesia Del Buen Samaritano, until he stepped down 7 years ago, she should stay after and ask the Bishop of Cuba where to get good Cuban cigars. :lol:

Iglesia Episcopal del Buen Samaritano - San Francisco, California

Funny how Cuban "Communism doesn't work" and yet they blocked trade with Cuba to make it not work.
A crash in the oil market

Not really. Their command economy could not handle fluctuations like a capitalist economy could. The whole structure was built on oil prices remaining high. Because capitalism is organic, countless individual minds create a more dynamic and versatile economy that adjusts to any market conditions.

Not really. Their command economy could not handle fluctuations like a capitalist economy could. The whole structure was built on oil prices remaining high. Because capitalism is organic, countless individual minds create a more dynamic and versatile economy that adjusts to any market conditions.
Their economy was based on a single source of revenue.....oil
When the price of oil drops 70%, your economy suffers

dont know why he considers it increasing trade, they are going to sell to us, not buy from us.
again, a democrat sends our trade deficit down the hole
I have no idea why democrats stay in a country they hate so much.

dont know why he considers it increasing trade, they are going to sell to us, not buy from us.

Cuba still drives 1950s autos. The market to buy from us is much larger than cigars and rum

cuba-cars-10.jpg

Are they slapping an excise tax on the items to compensate the people who lost $$ when Castro stole their businesses and land?

No, and they are doing nothing to make it cheaper to buy a handgun in NYC

Again, its not the cost of the handgun, its the cost of the fees who's sole purpose is to discourage law abiding citizens from owning one.

How about we put in place a fee and a waiting period to discourage abortions?
along with a full mental evaluation.

Cuba still drives 1950s autos. The market to buy from us is much larger than cigars and rum
do a little research and you will discover that not many cuban citizens are going to be able to afford a new car from the states.
not sure where you are coming up with the assumption that suddenly they are all going to be hitting their highways in brand new shiny SUVs.

do a little research and you will discover that not many cuban citizens are going to be able to afford a new car from the states.
not sure where you are coming up with the assumption that suddenly they are all going to be hitting their highways in brand new shiny SUVs.

You are assuming the Cuban economy won't improve once the embargo is lifted

of course it will, they will be taking money out of the U.S. they will get more from us than we get from them. Its how all the trade deals made in washington work. Its why we are going broke.

cuba-cars-10.jpg

If they had any sense whatsoever, they would mass market these cars again in the USA.

of course it will, they will be taking money out of the U.S. they will get more from us than we get from them. Its how all the trade deals made in washington work. Its why we are going broke.
They will provide tourism, cigars and rum
They will open up a consumer market that has been frozen for fifty years

cuba-cars-10.jpg

If they had any sense whatsoever, they would mass market these cars again in the USA.
They probably will. Export old collectables and import new vehicles

cuba-cars-10.jpg

They probably will. Export old collectables and import new vehicles
after I submitted that last post I did start thinking about the millions of dollars worth of collectible cars they have there. Those things have been kept in good shape and are proven dependable.
I have no problem with dealing with Cubans to be honest, I just dont want to see another trade deal that leave the U.S on the wrong side of the profit.

but again, you are talking about money leaving the U.S.
as far as the tourism, I would most likely take a trip to Cuba, hell, I have a boat that I keep in Florida ( Tampa area) that I would love to take to Cuba for a vacation. Cuba is also what has been a missing link in me taking the boat to Puerto Rico (wifes family is all there) Size of my fuel tanks require me to island hop between Florida and San Juan. So there is that too.
all in all, Im pretty excited about Cuba being opened up to us, and will most likely purchase their cigars at least once. But as I said, Im also concerned with another one way trade deal.
Does that at least make enough sense to make my look like less of an asshole for being not 100% behind this new deal?

as far as the tourism, I would most likely take a trip to Cuba, hell, I have a boat that I keep in Florida ( Tampa area) that I would love to take to Cuba for a vacation. Cuba is also what has been a missing link in me taking the boat to Puerto Rico (wifes family is all there) Size of my fuel tanks require me to island hop between Florida and San Juan. So there is that too.
all in all, Im pretty excited about Cuba being opened up to us, and will most likely purchase their cigars at least once. But as I said, Im also concerned with another one way trade deal.
Does that at least make enough sense to make my look like less of an asshole for being not 100% behind this new deal?
I think the U.S. does pretty well in trade deals. We often trade off dollars and cents for global influence.

I think the U.S. does pretty well in trade deals. We often trade off dollars and cents for global influence.
global influence does nothing for my bank account. The U.S needs to start taking in more than it gives out. Simple economics.

Forum List

Back