Holy Cohiba! Obama lifts ban on Cuban cigars and rum

You are assuming the Cuban economy won't improve once the embargo is lifted
of course it will, they will be taking money out of the U.S. they will get more from us than we get from them. Its how all the trade deals made in washington work. Its why we are going broke.
They will provide tourism, cigars and rum
They will open up a consumer market that has been frozen for fifty years
but again, you are talking about money leaving the U.S.
as far as the tourism, I would most likely take a trip to Cuba, hell, I have a boat that I keep in Florida ( Tampa area) that I would love to take to Cuba for a vacation. Cuba is also what has been a missing link in me taking the boat to Puerto Rico (wifes family is all there) Size of my fuel tanks require me to island hop between Florida and San Juan. So there is that too.
all in all, Im pretty excited about Cuba being opened up to us, and will most likely purchase their cigars at least once. But as I said, Im also concerned with another one way trade deal.
Does that at least make enough sense to make my look like less of an asshole for being not 100% behind this new deal?
I think the U.S. does pretty well in trade deals. We often trade off dollars and cents for global influence.
global influence does nothing for my bank account. The U.S needs to start taking in more than it gives out. Simple economics.
Who cares about your bank account?

We only care about the one percent being able to extend their influence around the world. It is the reason for 80% of our military expenditures

of course it will, they will be taking money out of the U.S. they will get more from us than we get from them. Its how all the trade deals made in washington work. Its why we are going broke.
They will provide tourism, cigars and rum
They will open up a consumer market that has been frozen for fifty years
but again, you are talking about money leaving the U.S.
as far as the tourism, I would most likely take a trip to Cuba, hell, I have a boat that I keep in Florida ( Tampa area) that I would love to take to Cuba for a vacation. Cuba is also what has been a missing link in me taking the boat to Puerto Rico (wifes family is all there) Size of my fuel tanks require me to island hop between Florida and San Juan. So there is that too.
all in all, Im pretty excited about Cuba being opened up to us, and will most likely purchase their cigars at least once. But as I said, Im also concerned with another one way trade deal.
Does that at least make enough sense to make my look like less of an asshole for being not 100% behind this new deal?
I think the U.S. does pretty well in trade deals. We often trade off dollars and cents for global influence.
global influence does nothing for my bank account. The U.S needs to start taking in more than it gives out. Simple economics.
Who cares about your bank account?

We only care about the one percent being able to extend their influence around the world. It is the reason for 80% of our military expenditures
I care, and Im tired of paying high taxes just so every motherfucker in the world can get free shit.
Opening up so we can buy a cigar is fine, but if it comes down to them starving or me paying more tax to support them, let them fucking starve.

A buddy of mine shoved (what he said was) a Cuban cigar in my face a few months ago and I obliged him by smoking it.

It "tasted" like smoke to me.

I don't get cigars.

I do get rum. Yeah.
You weren't smoking it right. Takes a while.

When I was new to it a buddy gave me a real cuban, they are heavy in nicotine. Very tasty but I inhaled a bit and felt ill. Didn't throw up but my hands shook violently.

Rushbo talked about this Friday, you won't be able to buy a cuban here. Still illegal to sell. You can, however buy when you are out of the country and bring them in.

A buddy of mine shoved (what he said was) a Cuban cigar in my face a few months ago and I obliged him by smoking it.

I don't get cigars.

I do get rum. Yeah.

When I was new to it a buddy gave me a real cuban, they are heavy in nicotine. Very tasty but I inhaled a bit and felt ill. Didn't throw up but my hands shook violently.

Rushbo talked about this Friday, you won't be able to buy a cuban here. Still illegal to sell. You can, however buy when you are out of the country and bring them in.
I have to agree with Iceweasel, I dont get it either when it comes to cigars. Others do and seem to think Cuban cigars are the best, dont know if they really are the best or if they just seem like the best because they are illegal to have.
And, although I quit drinking 2 years ago (2 years on the 23rd of this month) I have to agree with you on the Rum, I would be interested to see if it is better than the Puerto Rican rums. I am going to look forward to your review on this one.

I don't get cigars.

I do get rum. Yeah.

I have to agree with Iceweasel, I dont get it either when it comes to cigars. Others do and seem to think Cuban cigars are the best, dont know if they really are the best or if they just seem like the best because they are illegal to have.
And, although I quit drinking 2 years ago (2 years on the 23rd of this month) I have to agree with you on the Rum, I would be interested to see if it is better than the Puerto Rican rums. I am going to look forward to your review on this one.
I think you agree with Mac. I smoke a stoggie about every day. If you haven't smoked one before they won't seem like a big deal, there's an art to it, not like a cigarette at all.

The cubans used to have some of the best but the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras and a few others are making top notch cigars as well these days.

Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigars

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption.

The cuban cigar myth is based on their unavailability.
There are plenty of cigars that are far better,don't fall for the hype.

The Padron Family Reserve 1964 is a fine example.

The Obama administration announced Friday a new round of executive actions designed to increase trade and travel with the communist island. And this is the one many Americans have been waiting for — no more restrictions on the island's famed rum and cigars.

Under the new rules, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption.

Maybe so, we shall see

But Cuban cigars have been available in Canada and Europe for decades and they are still highly desirable

Maybe so, we shall see

But Cuban cigars have been available in Canada and Europe for decades and they are still highly desirable

Meh...I've smoked plenty Cubans,while they are a good cigar there are plenty that are better.
I do really love to watch the old Cuban master cigar makers though.

The odds are stacked against Haiti. Geologically, it’s wedged between tectonic plates, where earthquakes happen. Meteorologically, it’s in the center of hurricane alley, where massive storms roil. And historically, the country is forever fighting a colonial legacy that left it largely incapable of recovering from natural disasters. Like endemic cholera, caused by the United Nations’ botched response to 2010’s earthquake and exacerbated by Hurricane Matthew flooding the country’s southwestern peninsula.
The hurricane may have put cholera in the news again, but really, the disease never went away. In the six years since cholera seeped from a UN camp’s faulty plumbing, it has infected at least 800,000 Haitians and killed nearly 10,000.

Last edited:
UPDATE ON HURRICANE MATTHEW According to Reuters, the number of deaths has climbed to 1000, with officials creating mass graves to avoid the decomposition of bodies. Their tally differentiates from the central civil protection agency who stated the death toll is at 336.

Bacardi is touting a ‘Cuban’ rum that’s actually made in Puerto Rico
Spirits giant Pernod Ricard has partnered with the Cuban government to produce a Cuban-made rum with the same name as Bacardi’s: Havana Club.

Maybe so, we shall see

Further illustrating the idiocy of the US ‘embargo.’

The US policy of subjecting the Cuban economy to restrictions in an effort to ‘force out’ Castro not only failed, but it likely helped stay Castro in power.

It was a ridiculous policy destined to failure when first implemented, and 50 years later we know for a fact it was a failed policy.

The president’s lifting of these failed, pointless ‘restrictions’ was appropriate, warranted, and long overdue.

Maybe so, we shall see

Further illustrating the idiocy of the US ‘embargo.’

The US policy of subjecting the Cuban economy to restrictions in an effort to ‘force out’ Castro not only failed, but it likely helped stay Castro in power.

It was a ridiculous policy destined to failure when first implemented, and 50 years later we know for a fact it was a failed policy.

The president’s lifting of these failed, pointless ‘restrictions’ was appropriate, warranted, and long overdue.

So you think it was the US's intention to deny Americans Cuban cigars?

The got robbed. But again, its part of your ideology, so its A-OK!
Are you saying that the USA should compensate the Cubans that had their land stolen?

No, the Cubans should compensate the Cubans who got their land stolen, plus the others who got their land stolen.
I agree. But they need money to do that and I am willing to pony up by purchasing some rum.

I'm sure if a Democrat is in office the Cubans who now control the stolen property will get off scott free.
You are sure of a lot of things that aren't true or even probable.

Useless reply is useless Ravi. Come back when you have a point.

Forum List

Back