Homeownership rate drops to 63.4%, lowest since 1967

er, sorry to break it to you, but you are much more airheaded than I. :D

You are both super smart .. you just like to "play" dumb :)

I "play dumb" huh? When does this happen? :)
Now

Nope, everything I'm saying is true. Now, one more fucking word from your garbage mouth and you go on my ignore list. Got it?
guno you are not going to join in?

I own two houses one in NY and one here in NC , I used to own 2 here in NC but sold one at what I had left on the mortgage to a group for a sheltered living organization . I might sell the one in NC and rent but the one in NY I will keep as rents are way to high there and it is paid off , no tax advantage

where in NC? Do you think NC is a good/economically feasible place to live?
I have relatives in Raleigh and Fuquay Varina...

I am Very very close to Fuquay Varina, NC is going backwards , really changing since we bought here in 89'

I'm sure we have put into this house at least 1/2 of what it's worth. New windows, replacing the deck, new siding, installing hard wood floors, 2 water heater replacements, 1 a/c furnace replacement, in addition to the cost of power washing and staining the deck every other year. Oh, and washer/dryer replacement and dishwasher replacement... hell, we could have built our own house from scratch at this rate!
Windows and floors were optional, unless the windows leaked, then you can go back to the buyer, they had to know.

2 water heaters? They should last at least 15 years, are you replacing the anodes? It will get eaten up otherwise.

You should never powerwash a deck, you're tearing up the fibers. Maybe that's why you need to re-stain so often. Washer/dryer, furnace, etc. if the landlord was replacing all that he'd have to have it built in to the rent. No one rents out to loose money, although some due to tenants tearing up the place but then the next guy gets to pay.

I'm sure we have put into this house at least 1/2 of what it's worth. New windows, replacing the deck, new siding, installing hard wood floors, 2 water heater replacements, 1 a/c furnace replacement, in addition to the cost of power washing and staining the deck every other year. Oh, and washer/dryer replacement and dishwasher replacement... hell, we could have built our own house from scratch at this rate!
Windows and floors were optional, unless the windows leaked, then you can go back to the buyer, they had to know.

2 water heaters? They should last at least 15 years, are you replacing the anodes? It will get eaten up otherwise.

You should never powerwash a deck, you're tearing up the fibers. Maybe that's why you need to re-stain so often. Washer/dryer, furnace, etc. if the landlord was replacing all that he'd have to have it built in to the rent. No one rents out to loose money, although some due to tenants tearing up the place but then the next guy gets to pay.

We bought a "fixer upper" much to our dismay. It's a long story but we opted for location over quality of house....

Windows were old and falling down (bad springs etc...)

the water heater (at least) were covered under the Home Warranty Service we had purchased upon buying the home... so that was no big deal. I think the 1st guys messed up the 1st install.... was minimal cost to be honest.

Why do people power wash if not necessary... ? You are probably right about that. makes sense logically....
No landlord, remember, we are home owners.

the airhead benevolence....

er, sorry to break it to you, but you are much more airheaded than I. :D

You are both super smart .. you just like to "play" dumb :)

I "play dumb" huh? When does this happen? :)
Now

Nope, everything I'm saying is true. Now, one more fucking word from your garbage mouth and you go on my ignore list. Got it?
word

We bought a "fixer upper" much to our dismay. It's a long story but we opted for location over quality of house....

the water heater (at least) were covered under the Home Warranty Service we had purchased upon buying the home... so that was no big deal. I think the 1st guys messed up the 1st install.... was minimal cost to be honest.

Why do people power wash if not necessary... ? You are probably right about that. makes sense logically....
You should put on a sealer....for the deck and just wash it occasionally with a push broom..
Do you have natural gas?

You should put on a sealer....for the deck and just wash it occasionally with a push broom..
Do you have natural gas?

what we SHOULD to is buy that stuff that you never have to treat...

Do you have natural gas?

You know, they make that synthetic stuff you can use for decking. It lasts forever supposedly. I don't know how much more expensive it is than wood though.

Do you have natural gas?

You know, they make that synthetic stuff you can use for decking. It lasts forever supposedly. I don't know how much more expensive it is than wood though.
15-25 dollars a can...

Do you have natural gas?

15-25 dollars a can...

No, I don't mean something that you paint on. Actual alternative decking materials (plastic, according to this article) instead of using wood. I suppose in the long run it would be worth the investment.

A Happy Alternative All About Composite Decking This Old House

Do you have natural gas?

15-25 dollars a can...

No, I don't mean something that you paint on. Actual alternative decking materials (plastic, according to this article) instead of using wood. I suppose in the long run it would be worth the investment.

They have pre-treated and recycled type board products, but the ones I have used are bad at warping....

Do you have natural gas?

15-25 dollars a can...

yep. I know all about it. Just have to get hubby to agree! :)

Do you have natural gas?

15-25 dollars a can...

yep. I know all about it. Just have to get hubby to agree! :)

Just remind him what a PITA it is every time he has to fix the deck or stain it. :D

Owning a home is NOT the American dream...it is the bankster's dream...that Americans become debt serfs servicing a big mortgage and enriching the banksters. Nice racket.

I have to disagree with that statement.
Owning a home is part of the american dream. That said, that can't be true if you are tied to a debt for 20+ years.
If I recall correctly in the 50's a home was worth about 2 years of median income, now it's about 10.
Here's a chart:

Shiller_IE2_Fig_2-1.png

I'm not sure there is any "right" answer.... we all have to do what I right for our own selves and needs.
I'll see if homeownership is "good" when this sucker is paid off which will be in about 14 years.......

Nothing wrong with owning a house. I own two

It is just that home ownership is no longer a sure fire investment like it used to be. That is why ownership rates are dropping

Yea, I was saying as compared to a landlord. If he was buying the tenant would eventually be paying for it. People pressure wash because it's quick. But wood is like a dense sponge. Turns into driftwood with enough wind and water. Fixer uppers are cheaper so those costs need to be factored in.

I have many millionaire friends who have sold their homes & live on the road in RV's. 3 of them powered by solar live off grid on free land tax free. A few others working & following pipeline jobs living in campers.

NO free rides people!
there are folks in other countries that can't get drinkable water!
Any bum off the street in America can get good water from a drinking fountain and delicious food out of a garbage can. Sorry if your "prima donna" concepts can't process that!

Most absurd.

You think your experience is representative of home owners in America. No. You maybe represent .1% of home owners. The vast majority of home owners labor under a mortgage which most will never pay off.

My point is claiming the American Dream includes owning your own home, is propaganda promoted by the banksters and real estate agents...and of course government likes it too.

'Owning the American Dream' ISN'T propaganda, it's marketing. There isn't anything deceiving or untrue about the statement.

Most people WILL NOT get to burn their mortgage which is caused by wage disparity. Because of wage disparity, baby boomers will be the last generation in America to do well financially. Ironically, the reason for wage disparity was caused by baby boomers and other middle class folks voting Republican.

Regarding 'Homeownership rate drops to 63.4%, lowest since 1967,' You need to think instead of react. Are there more or less homes today than in 1967? There are more. So who owns them? People own them, but HOW people own them has drastically changed since 1967. Speaking with real estate professionals, due to liability and tax reasons, more and more are purchased by corporations set up by individuals, NOT individuals.

Forum List

Back