Homeschooling? Thinking of? Indispensable

Abbey Normal said:
Maybe it should be.

As in:

Defense Counsel: "Your Honor, I object."

Judge: "Counselor, sit down. And stop making a big whoop-de-shit out of everything little thing."

:)

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly. :)

Elementary "schools" in this country today actually do damage to their charges. This has been adequately documented by a number of researchers. Their entire focus, it seems, is on socialization at the expense of academic achievement. For a variety of reasons, they fail miserably at both endeavours.

Take any reasonable child of two, keep him away from television and schools, and you will have, fifteen years later, a well developed, well educated, socially adept young person. By all means, homeschool your children.

dmp said:
IStill, Let our kids be teased. It's a good way to balance out all the 'Nobody loses, everyone is a winner' over-board self-esteem we cram down their throats.

Any idiot (but not schoolteachers, apparently) knows that you don't peel a "self esteem" sticker off of a page and paste it on a child's forehead and thereby solve perceived problem. Like I often say, if seven seals can play Lady of Spain on seven tuned horns, does that make them musicians?

You get healthy self esteem through a combination of high achievement and humility.

Superfluous Man said:
Any idiot (but not schoolteachers, apparently) knows that you don't peel a "self esteem" sticker off of a page and paste it on a child's forehead and thereby solve perceived problem. Like I often say, if seven seals can play Lady of Spain on seven tuned horns, does that make them musicians?

You get healthy self esteem through a combination of high achievement and humility.

Great point!!!!! Self-esteem can't be achieved by living in a fairy land and having people tell you everything you do is good...it comes with accomplishment and effort. (Not that some encouragement can't help)

Abbey Normal said:
Exactly. Accomplishments pave the road to self-esteem, and parents who support you don't hurt.
Parents support by encouraging goal setting, rules, what used to be called 'self-discipline.' Kids that know how to set goals, short term and long term, as well as how to formulate a plan to achieve those goals, will have good self esteem-used to be called 'confidence.'

All the stars and smiley faces on crap work, will not "give" self-esteem, which is earned.

Kathianne said:
Parents support by encouraging goal setting, rules, what used to be called 'self-discipline.' Kids that know how to set goals, short term and long term, as well as how to formulate a plan to achieve those goals, will have good self esteem-used to be called 'confidence.'

All the stars and smiley faces on crap work, will not "give" self-esteem, which is earned.

I couldn't agree more.

Forum List

Back