Homosexual boy scout is mad because he won't be given eagle badge

As well known as the prohibition against homosexuals is, I doubt if ANY Scouts or former Scouts is sending anything back.

Aside from giving this boy something to do, he did not at all benefit from being in the Scouts. He didn't develop character, he has no integrity and he lacks honesty. His being there was a waste of time and effort by the Scouts. What the Scouts should do is find out if, in fact, this kid was ever told by a Scout leader that his homosexuality would be dealt with or covered up, that leader should be expelled for teaching the kid how to lie.

I think you're lying.

I don't believe you know this kid. In fact, I'd bet money that you have never even met him.

The Scouts' national spokesman, Deron Smith, said late Thursday that Ryan contributed to his situation by disagreeing with the BSA's religious principles.
"Recently, a Scout proactively notified his unit leadership and Eagle Scout Counselor that he does not agree to Scouting's principle of "Duty to God" and does not meet Scouting's membership standard on sexual orientation," Smith wrote in a statement to Yahoo News. "While the BSA did not proactively ask for this information, based on his statements and after discussion with his family he is being informed that he is no longer eligible for membership in Scouting."
Smith said belief in God is the foundation of scouting's strong, continuing commitment to encouraging moral, ethical and spiritual growth. It is the position of the Boy Scouts of America that no one can reach their full potential without belief in a higher power.

So....if you don't believe in the Judeo-Christian god you can't be a Boy Scout?

No. Did it say belief in the Judeo-Christian God or did it say belief in a "higher power"? There is your answer right there. I'm a Boy Scout leader. Boy Scouts is non-sectarian and leaves choice of faith to the boy and his family. You can practice any religion you want. Being athiest disquaifies you because you do not believe in a higher power.

As well known as the prohibition against homosexuals is, I doubt if ANY Scouts or former Scouts is sending anything back.

Aside from giving this boy something to do, he did not at all benefit from being in the Scouts. He didn't develop character, he has no integrity and he lacks honesty. His being there was a waste of time and effort by the Scouts. What the Scouts should do is find out if, in fact, this kid was ever told by a Scout leader that his homosexuality would be dealt with or covered up, that leader should be expelled for teaching the kid how to lie.

I think you're lying.

I don't believe you know this kid. In fact, I'd bet money that you have never even met him.

Since I never said I met him, it's a pretty safe bet that I have never met this kid.

Boy Scouts are different at the troop level than the national level. Most troops will take a DADT attitude towards sexuality. It has very little to do with your functioning as a Boy Scout. His leader and the boys in his troop evidently knew he was gay.
However, once you openly declare, they have no choice but to kick you out.

Its not right, but thats the way it is

He was denied his eagle scout badge because he denied God. That's what the article says. HE claims it's because of his sexual orientation. The truth is, he knew he was going to get his badge and his agenda couldn't let that happen so 2 days before he tells them he doesn't believe in Duty to God, then whines about not getting his badge due to his sexual orientation. It's an agenda people, recognize it.

Before you are approved for Eagle you go for a board of review where your religious beliefs will come up. You don't have to belong to a specific religion, just profess a general belief in a higher power. As a scout, he chose to be honest about his beliefs rather than shut up just so he could get a badge

Either way, he didn't get his badge because of his lack of belief in God, not because of his sexual orientation.

Boy Scouts are different at the troop level than the national level. Most troops will take a DADT attitude towards sexuality. It has very little to do with your functioning as a Boy Scout. His leader and the boys in his troop evidently knew he was gay.
However, once you openly declare, they have no choice but to kick you out.

Its not right, but thats the way it is

He was denied his eagle scout badge because he denied God. That's what the article says. HE claims it's because of his sexual orientation. The truth is, he knew he was going to get his badge and his agenda couldn't let that happen so 2 days before he tells them he doesn't believe in Duty to God, then whines about not getting his badge due to his sexual orientation. It's an agenda people, recognize it.

Before you are approved for Eagle you go for a board of review where your religious beliefs will come up. You don't have to belong to a specific religion, just profess a general belief in a higher power. As a scout, he chose to be honest about his beliefs rather than shut up just so he could get a badge

And he most likely knew for years that he would be asked when he got to that point. He made his decision. He gets to live with it. No one deprived him.

Either way, he didn't get his badge because of his lack of belief in God, not because of his sexual orientation.

I suspect both came into play

Its just that nobody cares about protecting the rights of an atheist

And he most likely knew for years that he would be asked when he got to that point. He made his decision. He gets to live with it. No one deprived him.

Many just go along and say what the board wants to hear.

I respect his decision to stay honest. He remained true to the Scout Law even if it cost him his Eagle

I was a Cub Scout for about 6 months before I realized the BSA was just a gateway organization to white-supremist militia groups.

I was a Girl Scout for a year and a half, then I beat the crap out of Sea Scout and they threw me out. No hard feelings. I still supported the Girl Scouts for many years.
You're a female???

I suspect both came into play

Its just that nobody cares about protecting the rights of an atheist

Bulcrap...he was refused due to not believing in "duty to God" and he cried that he was refused due to being gay. It's obvious he has an agenda. The kid has no credibility. He has no case.

I think you're lying.

Since I never said I met him, it's a pretty safe bet that I have never met this kid.

Then, obviously, you don't have a friggin clue about his character.

OTOH, I do know that you are completely morally bankrupt.

And, you're a chronic liar.

Otherwise you would not have said some as utterly vile and stupid as the post I quoted. But, then, just about everything you write is vile and stupid.

I respect his decision to stay honest. He remained true to the Scout Law even if it cost him his Eagle
I'd still like to know if he refused to say the Boy Scout oath. There is no way to know if those kids mean what they say when they mouth it and to disqualify a kid because he currently thinks he is an atheist is pretty stupid, imo. Many people go through their teen years questioning a belief in God. Many later discover they actually do believe.

Pay attention

The boyscout oath, recited at almost every meeting:

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

What he suddenly, 2 days before he got his eagle scout badge decided he didn't believe in God?

The scout law:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Well you can forget trustworthy, loyal, obedient and reverent. He violated all of those by reciting a pledge he didn't believe in and waiting until 2 days before he got his eagle scout badge to say anything about his being an atheist.

I'm thinking friendly is gone to because I believe this was his way of attacking the boyscouts and trying to get others to back him by claiming he was denied his badge due to being gay when it's obviously because he doesn't believe in God, something you are required to do to be a scout from the very beginning.

I'd still like to know if he refused to say the Boy Scout oath. There is no way to know if those kids mean what they say when they mouth it and to disqualify a kid because he currently thinks he is an atheist is pretty stupid, imo. Many people go through their teen years questioning a belief in God. Many later discover they actually do believe.

You are welcome to your opinion and the boyscouts have a right to their oath.

Pay attention

What he suddenly, 2 days before he got his eagle scout badge decided he didn't believe in God?

The scout law:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Well you can forget trustworthy, loyal, obedient and reverent. He violated all of those by reciting a pledge he didn't believe in and waiting until 2 days before he got his eagle scout badge to say anything about his being an atheist.

I'm thinking friendly is gone to because I believe this was his way of attacking the boyscouts and trying to get others to back him by claiming he was denied his badge due to being gay when it's obviously because he doesn't believe in God, something you are required to do to be a scout from the very beginning.

Wow, I didn't realize Honest wasn't on that list.

Pay attention

The scout law:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

I think that's covered with trustworthy.

Pay attention

The scout law:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

trustworthy [ˈtrʌstˌwɜːðɪ]
adj
worthy of being trusted; honest, reliable, or dependable
trustworthily adv
trustworthiness n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

you're welcome

Pay attention

The scout law:

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

When it comes to the Scout Law, the BSA acts alot like organized religions do in objecting to homosexuality as a sin. Namely, they pick out homosexuality but ignore eating shellfish The BSA somehow lumps homosexuality as a violation of the "Scout is Clean" law.

I have yet to see a scout denied an Eagle for violation of "A Scout is Thrifty" or "A Scout is Cheerful"

That boy has more respect of the Scout Law than the national organization does

Last edited:

Forum List

Back