House GOP Set To Repeal Incandescent Bulb Ban...

Vote to repeal ban on incandescent bulbs

• YES kill the ban- gimme my oldie bulbs!!

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • NO- CFLs!! today tomorrow forever ( starting in 2012)

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the wash. st. phosphate scare was bogus too...but anyway...proctor and gamble was stampeded into changed their formula and were left with literally a 600% increase in complaints due to dirty dishes from use of their dish washer detergent because, they had removed the phosphates...

What do mean 'phosphate scare was bogus too'?

the supposed Phopshate 'run off' into waterways in Wash st. that was 'killing' algae was not nearly destructive as they said it was and was even shown to be only a small part of the issue when all of the studies came in.....
:confused: Killing algae? No, it creates algae blooms.

Algae is good but not when it is too much....kind of like chocolate.

the supposed Phopshate 'run off' into waterways in Wash st. that was 'killing' algae was not nearly destructive as they said it was and was even shown to be only a small part of the issue when all of the studies came in.....

So the companies taking phosphates out of dishwashing detergent did so needlessly? Since they did it voluntarily, and in light of this study, will they put it back in?

I have not checked but they say they have engineered a new fix,,,,,I don't know if its effective because I bought 2 cases of dish washing det. with Phosp. ( and incand. light bulbs);)

you can google it I am sure, if I were a betting man, I'd say no they didn't put it back in. Why? the greens almost always win at the end don't they? why go back, if you're manufacturing it already...

Last edited:

it was supposedly preventing oxygen from getting to whatever...yea that fits...*shrugs*

So the companies taking phosphates out of dishwashing detergent did so needlessly? Since they did it voluntarily, and in light of this study, will they put it back in?
How voluntary was it?
16 states ban phosphate-laden dishwasher soap

They saw that coming, so stopping putting phosphates in their products.

Last edited:

How voluntary was it?
16 states ban phosphate-laden dishwasher soap

They saw that coming, so stopping putting phosphates in their products.

Wasn't voluntary for those states where it was banned. The companies saw the writing on the wall and yanked the phosphate out of the detergent before it was banned in all 50 states.

After getting my glasses/dishes/dishwasher clean (removing all the residue/hard water film), I now use 1 tblspn of this each time I run the dishwasher. Works great. Yup, phosphate 'enhanced'. lol

510aFWZRxYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Well this was a fun thread but all things come to an end.

Washington • House Republicans on Tuesday failed to stop the enactment of new energy-saving standards for light bulbs they portrayed as yet another example of big government interfering in people’s lives.

The GOP bill to overturn the standards set to go into effect next year fell short of the two-thirds majority needed for passage. The vote was 233-193.

House GOP fails to turn off light-bulb standards | The Salt Lake Tribune

I am so pissed that the government can be given the authority to regulate products like this. It is outrageous. There is absolutely no authority for government to do so.

Last edited:

Washington • House Republicans on Tuesday failed to stop the enactment of new energy-saving standards for light bulbs they portrayed as yet another example of big government interfering in people’s lives.

The GOP bill to overturn the standards set to go into effect next year fell short of the two-thirds majority needed for passage. The vote was 233-193.

Bummer.....

Big loss for the flat earth boys

I am so pissed that the government can be given the authority to regulate products like this. It is outrageous. There is absolutely no authority for government to do so.
same with CAFE standards....? where they regulated the gas milage auto makers needed to reach? or is that different? both measures were in the same Bill.

Energy efficient lightbulbs use less energy, hence cutting down on pollution caused by inefficient electrical generators.

:thup:

And you think they will save you money?

Here's what will happen. Everyone will switch to these god awful bulbs and yes individually they will pay a few cents less for electricity. Cumulatively power companies will see a drop in revenue and they will raise prices in order to cover the loss. The government will allow rate hikes because they will also be losing tax revenues.

It's like everything else the government does and will not save us a dime.

Poor Republicans. Maybe they can now concentrate on putting lead back into gasoline.

:rolleyes:

Now you're crying about GE and their crappy business decisions. :lol:

If you don't want to buy CFLs, then don't.

It really is that simple.

Swing and miss . . . but you knew that.

General Electric to sink $2billion into China development as production moves from the U.S.

Read more: General Electric to sink $2bn into China development as production moves from US | Mail Online

Where are you going to buy all your cfl's, Ravi? They're all made in China now. :idea: :lol:

If you buy enough now, you won't have to worry about where they come from five years from now.

How come all the cons hate GE? Aren't they the epitome of "free market capitalism"????? Free market doesn't mean just Buy America, last time I checked. They too have thousands of stockholders to please with bottom line profits. In other threads where the discussion is all about private v. public ventures and Board Rooms v. Main Streets, the cons can all be found high-fiving the private board rooms.

we were not having problems in 2007?.....

You tell me. What problems were we having in 2007 when the original regulations went into effect that the Senate or the House weren't working on?

this whole light bulb thing is Moot Wytch......in a few years the Curly Q will be a footnote in history as well as the Incandescent.....

Like everything else, in a few years, the spirals will be better designed, even more efficient, and cheaper. It's inconceivable that we can build better, more efficient, more compact with more memory, and cheaper computers but we can't build a better lightbulb.

Give it a rest, people. This is really a non-issue.

Well personally, I think the government should regulate the amount of chocolate Americans consume.

[Abort the incoming!!! Just kidding...]

Energy efficient lightbulbs use less energy, hence cutting down on pollution caused by inefficient electrical generators.

:thup:

And you think they will save you money?

Here's what will happen. Everyone will switch to these god awful bulbs and yes individually they will pay a few cents less for electricity. Cumulatively power companies will see a drop in revenue and they will raise prices in order to cover the loss. The government will allow rate hikes because they will also be losing tax revenues.

It's like everything else the government does and will not save us a dime.

Power company's rates are usually controlled by state public utility commissions. They have to have a damned good reason for raising them.

Forum List

Back