How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

Yes wild fires are unpredictable. I personally experienced one decades ago. The fire was 50 miles away and traveling away from our home.... then only a few hours later, the sheriff came up my driveway and told us to evacuate. By the time we got on our road, the fire was burning along both sides of our road and passing me as I drove about 30 mph. The windows were getting hot and unfortunately the vents were open and the car filled with smoke. My daughter had to spot the right side of the road so I didn't drive off. Luckily we made it to the end of the road where the firefighters were.
You're lucky you got your car started....and I bet your tires were starting to melt.

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.

You're asking a bunch of people who chronically reelect Jerry Brown and Nancy Pelosi why they haven't enough sense to get out from acres and acres of fire?

Wonder who set those fires?

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

And the glowing embers can extend even further than that..... landing on roofs and gutters (filled with dry leaves).

Yes wild fires are unpredictable. I personally experienced one decades ago. The fire was 50 miles away and traveling away from our home.... then only a few hours later, the sheriff came up my driveway and told us to evacuate. By the time we got on our road, the fire was burning along both sides of our road and passing me as I drove about 30 mph. The windows were getting hot and unfortunately the vents were open and the car filled with smoke. My daughter had to spot the right side of the road so I didn't drive off. Luckily we made it to the end of the road where the firefighters were.
You're lucky you got your car started....and I bet your tires were starting to melt.

Thing is, the fire was not near my car or home when we got in to leave. It was traveling very fast......Later I learned that our road made a perfect blast furnace for the fire to rage down. Nobody predicted that. The fire went around my property, burnt down a wooden barn (we had horses that ate all the grass) and burnt my next door neighbor's home to the ground. Several of our horses went back into the barn and burned to death. They can say whatever they want but, until you experience it you have no idea...believe me.

I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?

They're stupid because up there, its a bunch of dope smoking progs

-Geaux

Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad
I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???

it seems to me that lots of illegals are between a rock and a hard place. They may not have a place to which to run. They may be afraid of ending up in public shelters and thence
into the hands of the INS
I don't think it's illegals dying but either way self preservation exceeds everything. You don't need "somewhere to go"...

Go the opposite way of the fire!

Problem is, you don't know where the opposite way is. Lighten up Grampa.

I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?

Grampa.....Read my posts.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

Too many underestimate fire and don't understand how it works.

Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad
I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???

it seems to me that lots of illegals are between a rock and a hard place. They may not have a place to which to run. They may be afraid of ending up in public shelters and thence
I don't think it's illegals dying but either way self preservation exceeds everything. You don't need "somewhere to go"...

I'm not trying to be an ass. I truly don't get it.
In winter I have preparations in my trucks in case of emergency while out in the cold.
In spring I have stored water food & batteries in case of electrical outages from our usual spring storms.
And when bad weather with tornadoes or microbursts is in the area I am glued to the radar determined to see if it is headed our way.

Naturally if I lived in an area prone to hurricanes or wildfires or avalanches or whatever I would likewise be prepared.
I just don't understand it

Sad

Fire is wind & fuel driven is it not?

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

Sad

I'm not trying to be an ass. I truly don't get it.
In winter I have preparations in my trucks in case of emergency while out in the cold.
In spring I have stored water food & batteries in case of electrical outages from our usual spring storms.
And when bad weather with tornadoes or microbursts is in the area I am glued to the radar determined to see if it is headed our way.

Naturally if I lived in an area prone to hurricanes or wildfires or avalanches or whatever I would likewise be prepared.
I just don't understand it

Of course we are all prepared but all the preparation in the world is not 100%. I was prepared enough to get the hell out when the Sheriff evacuated us but even the Sheriff's info did not take into account the raging speed of the fire. IOW I can see how people get caught up in a wildfire. I don't care if they are limousine libs in Napa or hayseeds in rural areas.

Sad

Fire is wind & fuel driven is it not?

Fire creates its own wind which can be multiple times as fast as the prevailing winds. Totally unpredictable.

I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

They are, but just like the devastation from tornadoes and hurricanes and earthquakes people can be caught up before they know it.

Sad

There were a couple places folks could get free fire alarms, but that's for in house fire. I don't know what kind of alarm would work for fires like this. Unless its dogs. James was just talking to a paintball buddy of his in Cali. He said the fire was eight miles off when they went to bed and the dogs went crazy barking when the fire was 300 yards away.
Personally, I'd of left, not slept.

Sad

There were a couple places folks could get free fire alarms, but that's for in house fire. I don't know what kind of alarm would work for fires like this. Unless its dogs. James was just talking to a paintball buddy of his in Cali. He said the fire was eight miles off when they went to bed and the dogs went crazy barking when the fire was 300 yards away.
I would have too. Especially since i know how fast those spread.
And i was just being silly

Sad

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I would not have gone to bed either. Such a Lacks a daisical attitude for your own safety/life

The officials who run the emergency alert system declined to broadcast an alert as they were afraid it would cause a panic. Thus when the fires got to the neighborhoods it was mainly neighbors waking neighbors. Add to that the fact that the fire was blitzing along at 100 yards a second and it is easy to see why there are so many who were killed.

I'm more afraid of fire than almost anything. Give me an earthquake any day.

Forum List

Back